2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't imagine the angels are going to be too thrilled when they're paying a 40 year old part time DH $25 million per year... but i'm sure albert will be thrilled. much like a-rod is.

Exactly! Nobody put a gun to anyone's head and said sign these guys. The consequences of such a deal are paying a guy who's beat up and old. Oh well. Ain't my fuckin money. The Yanks have at least squeezed a World Series title out of Arod. But, he did kinda have a little help. I'm sure the Angels have a better chance with Albert on board, but nothing is guaranteed. Just ask Cliff Lee and The Phillies.

Best 10 year deal I can think of was Dave Winfield's after the 1980 season. The Yanks definitely got their money's worth, but Big Dave couldn't bring them a World Series title. Too bad Boss George had to be a scumbag to him most of his time there thanks to Dave's 1 for 22 performance in the 1981 World Series. But, hey, the man kept paying him. Alas, Big Dave was traded to the Angels and didn't make it all the way through his deal. The Yanks were close to retiring Dave's number 31, but he chose to go into the HOF as a Padre. Boss George no likey.

Of course, by then with inflation and stuff it'll be about the equivalent of paying a guy 17 or 18 million now by the time his contract ends.

i can't imagine the angels are going to be too thrilled when they're paying a 40 year old part time DH $25 million per year... but i'm sure albert will be thrilled. much like a-rod is.
The Phillies are going to be paying a 36 year old full time DH $25 million in just a few years. God, Ryan Howard sucks.

Of course, by then with inflation and stuff it'll be about the equivalent of paying a guy 17 or 18 million now by the time his contract ends.

Yeah, and he could outperform his salary a great deal in the first years of the contract. Basically, the Angels are betting that the decline in the past two years is not a trend but rather a blip. Risky still, though.

I'm just really glad the Marlins don't have interest in Fielder. We've got what we need with bats, unless we want to add a better option in CF. We still need another SP.

And then Matt Moore signs a deal a la Evan Longoria. Moore will put up ridiculously more WAR/$ than Pujols. Friedmann is insane!

What an idiot. I hope the Brewers have an out clause in his contract for this and cut him, then resign Fielder.

Gotta admit. Something seems off regarding this. Maybe I'm just in denial.

It sounds like Braun is going to fight this and he's adamant that he is innocent.

I don't even care about players using PEDs anymore. People have been doing it forever.

I agree. I mean, I care about it from the game's image. But I'm not going to shake my head at a player. Not because I think it's okay or because I don't care about it, but because he was just the unlucky one to get caught.

If I owned the Cincinnati Reds, Walter Jocketty would be fired after making a massive, severe, ridiculous overpay for a guy whose numbers (a) didn't suggest "ace" and (b) spent half of his games pitching in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Most players are better off taking them. Healing from injuries quicker, getting back into playing shape quicker.

in 20 years everyone is going to be taking hGH, and this moral outrage over athletes taking them now will look silly.

anabolic steroids? yea... those will always, and should always, be banned.

roy-halladay-winter-classic-480x360.jpg

So the rangers can spend 51M just to negotiate with Yu, but don't open up the wallet for Lee when they had the chance.

25 years old and entering his prime vs. 32 years old and looking for a six or seven year commitment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom