2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc. - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
But I was just talking about Fielder, Buehrle, and Wilson. Not them three, plus the other names.
Would Nolasco and Sanchez dump ~$22m from the books? Because ~$50m is probably would you'd need for the signing of those three.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #212
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:13 AM
you can have reyes if you'd like... i'll take him to the airport, and ship his medical records to you via FedEx

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #213
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Would Nolasco and Sanchez dump ~$22m from the books? Because ~$50m is probably would you'd need for the signing of those three.
Gotta remember...

Javier Vazquez - $7mil
*Ricky Nolasco - $6mil
Juan Carlos 'Leo Nunez' Oviedo - $4 mil
Wes Helms - $1mil

*Assuming the Marlins are looking to acquire two pitchers in the FA market

Those would all be coming off the books from a $57 million payroll. Leaving the Marlins at ~$39mil.

Yeah, it's not likely, but it's within their range. They've stated that they're going to be aggressive. But the money is there. They just likely wont do it. And I doubt they'd dump Sanchez. We are already at a loss for starting pitcher depth past the starting 5.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

the real question is, in 5 years when nobody's showing up to the new stadium, will they be moving on to their third fire sale and threatening to move?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Gotta remember...

Javier Vazquez - $7mil
*Ricky Nolasco - $6mil
Juan Carlos 'Leo Nunez' Oviedo - $4 mil
Wes Helms - $1mil

*Assuming the Marlins are looking to acquire two pitchers in the FA market

Those would all be coming off the books from a $57 million payroll. Leaving the Marlins at ~$39mil.

Yeah, it's not likely, but it's within their range. They've stated that they're going to be aggressive. But the money is there. They just likely wont do it. And I doubt they'd dump Sanchez. We are already at a loss for starting pitcher depth past the starting 5.
Do the Marlins have no one receiving an arbitration raise? Do they have no one with a contract with more money in the back than in the front?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

There will be arbitration raises, but at insignificant levels where we're talking 4-5 million on the payroll. But then on the opposite end, I'm not so sure of what happens with Jose Lopez's 3.5 million contract.

As for back end contracts, the only long term ones are Hanley, Josh Johnson, and Ricky Nolasco. If they can move Nolasco that's a moot point, but I'm fairly certain Hanley and JJ aren't getting an increase (I think their numbers are staying at 11 and 7.7 respectively).

I'm not entirely involved with the payroll situation, but I know the money is there for striking it in the FA market with those 3 guys. That being said, I still acknowledge that it's more likely that we end up with just one, if any, of them.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the real question is, in 5 years when nobody's showing up to the new stadium, will they be moving on to their third fire sale and threatening to move?
I can't imagine they'd be in any position to be moving out of a 5 year old ballpark.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I'm fairly certain Hanley and JJ aren't getting an increase (I think their numbers are staying at 11 and 7.7 respectively).
More like $15 mil and $13,750 mil (Johnson's salary almost doubles this year). Their payroll is already at $45 mil before the arbitration raises.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...FE&output=html
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh wow, I thought for sure that JJ's was an averaged contract... guess not. I knew Hanley's was set to increase, but I thought he got $11 million average (which would have meant that this was the peak). Guess my original thought on their contracts was way off...

But anyways, the buzz around the Marlins is that there's no real limit, and they're willing to pay any player that comes their way and they'll throw out the offers. It just sounds like they wont get into a bidding war with anyone, so the chances of getting these players are low.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #220
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
More like $15 mil and $13,750 mil (Johnson's salary almost doubles this year). Their payroll is already at $45 mil before the arbitration raises.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...FE&output=html
But then again, take a look at it. I might have been off on the individual players numbers, but I was still in the correct ballpark for Marlins minus Nolasco. Nolasco is set to make $9 million this year. If he's moved, that leaves the Marlins at $36 million. Although that number's noninclusive of all of the other contracts (arbitration wise).

Arbitration salary estimates, via MLBTR:
Anibal Sanchez - $6MM
'Leo Nunez' Oviedo - $5.8MM
Chris Volstad - $2.6MM
Emilio Bonifacio -$2.1MM
Clay Hensley - $1.8MM
Edward Mujica - $1.6MM
Burke Badenhop - $1.1MM
John Baker - $800K
Donnie Murphy - $700K

I'd imagine Baker and Murphy get DFA'd, Leo Nunez and Chris Volstad wont be Marlins, and the rest get those estimates. So that's about +$12 million, give or take.

So in the event that Nolasco is moved, we're looking at more like $48 mil when all is said and done.

So anywhere from $25 mil to $50 mil will be added (although it wont hold my breath).
Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #221
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7

I can't imagine they'd be in any position to be moving out of a 5 year old ballpark.
I didn't say move out in 5 years... I said threaten, as in make rumblings about how its a bad market ans they'll never be able to compete long term because of it.

I'm intrigued to see if this works long term. I don't think it will.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #222
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm really just sold on the idea that for the next 10-25 years regardless of the team down here (minus the Dolphins), the team's success is directly related to their success in play. It's the way it is. People show up, even for hockey, when the team is winning.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'd imagine Baker and Murphy get DFA'd, Leo Nunez and Chris Volstad wont be Marlins, and the rest get those estimates. So that's about +$12 million, give or take.

So in the event that Nolasco is moved, we're looking at more like $48 mil when all is said and done.
That's under the assumption those guys get moved. That's under the assumption Vazquez doesn't get resigned. The Marlins could get one of the bigger names and one of the smaller names, though. At this point, though, I'd assume 3B is probably a big concern for them. But then again, they're going to have competition from other teams with payroll to burn as well for those guys. Any of them could wind up with one of the bigger names and one of the smaller names. But not all of them can. Some of the teams will get a small name or nothing. It's nice to dream big for your team, but don't get so wrapped up in dreaming that you're disappointed when the biggest move your team makes is signing A-Ram and resigining Vazquez.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #224
ONE
love, blood, life

If Vazquez gets re-signed it's a whole 'nother story though. He'd be part of the pitching rotation, in which case we probably wouldn't be acquiring 2 FA pitchers.

Leo Nunez is in legal trouble, I can't imagine he's retained. Nobody wants Chris Volstad back, especially at that price. He can't pitch at a major league level, there's no use from him.

3B is a huge concern for us. They do want Aramis. I mean... I don't understand why you're telling me not to get my hopes up because I've clearly stated at least four times now that I know the chances are slim. I'm daydreaming. Of course we'll probably go out there and get Reyes or Aramis and... Grady Sizemore. Or something along those lines.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
I can't imagine Ozzie would be at all thrilled having to work with Vazquez again. In fact, I can easily imagine him being really pissed off about it.