2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hot Stove hasn't even fired up yet. Wait until December comes. Maybe your Fish can seduce Albert away from the Cards.

Oh I know there's many months to come in the off-season. It's just that normally I'm not used to watching this stuff. Usually I just wait until Spring Training because that's the only relevant time in the off-season for the Marlins. Now there's all this anticipation. It's killin me.

It's the Marlins way out of having to sign him.

"Oh yeah we really want him!"

"Oh... wait... what's this? He's a LIAR! Of course we don't want him now!"

312jv96AgYL.jpg

The "idiots" are long gone, and we were left with real idiots.

Valentine should be good in the short term, I don't think he's here long term though.

I'm hearing rumblings that Jose Reyes will be in Miami on Thursday. Trying to confirm Stay tuned ... #Marlins

- joecapMARLINS

Hmm...

Also... Heath Bell to sign with a 'mysterious team'. But not his current. Interesting... Red Sox?

The "idiots" are long gone, and we were left with real idiots.

Valentine should be good in the short term, I don't think he's here long term though.

I think Boston is waiting for Farrell to become available from Toronto. Valentine should be entertaining for a few seasons though and a good baseball move by ownership (it wasn't the GM's first choice imo).

...and I miss Heidi Watney already :sad:

It's going to be really unfortunate if he turns out to be the biggest FA they sign this offseason.

I agree, although the chances of that look very small. I'd imagine the goal now would be Bell + Reyes + Buehrle/Wilson. That's what seems to fit in the money plan, and it's my understanding that Reyes actually has intentions of coming to Miami.

Well from a Marlin perspective you've gotta imagine it's a good thing. We've got gaping holes at 3rd and CF, as well as a horrible rotation.

Getting Reyes would effectively fill in that 3B spot with Hanley, leaving CF as the only unaddressed issue. We have Bonifacio, but I'd rather him just be the best utility player in the league than an average CF.

reyes is a dynamic talent. a true franchise changing player. the type of player who you build your entire lineup around... the type of player that changes the way you approach the game.

when healthy.

and that's the problem... he's had one healthy season in his career.

it also helps if you're winning, because he tends to get lazy when things don't go well.

reyes is a dynamic talent. a true franchise changing player. the type of player who you build your entire lineup around... the type of player that changes the way you approach the game.

when healthy.

and that's the problem... he's had one healthy season in his career.

it also helps if you're winning, because he tends to get lazy when things don't go well.

I'd take 120 games of amazing over 160 games of slightly above average.

The more I think about it... if the Marlins get Reyes then ideally the only thing stopping them from being a powerhouse (other than the obvious pitching question marks) is Logan Morrison developing.

If you think about it...

Reyes
Infante
Ramirez
Stanton
Sanchez
Morrison
Bonifacio
Buck
[Pitcher]

Pretty solid... each player really ideally fits the role in the lineup. Assuming Bonifacio cools off from a hot season, him and Buck are really the only players who are less than great at bat if Logan Morrison can play to his potential. But go figure, they still fit fine as a #7/8 hitter in an ideal lineup.

The possible signing of Reyes does not mean that the Marlins have completed their Christmas shopping, because they are also interested in Albert Pujols.
A source also told ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com that Miami has emerged as the most likely destination for Pujols if the slugger decides to leave the St. Louis Cardinals, the only team he has played for in his 11-year career.

I want to believe...

But even if that's true I'd much rather have Buehrle or Wilson than Pujols. That lineup that I posted is good enough. The pitching rotation of Johnson|Sanchez|Nolasco|Vazquez?|Sanabia/Hand is not.

But even if that's true I'd much rather have Buehrle or Wilson than Pujols. That lineup that I posted is good enough. The pitching rotation of Johnson|Sanchez|Nolasco|Vazquez?|Sanabia/Hand is not.

If Pujols is signed, Sanchez could be traded for a pitcher.

Well yeah, that's definitely what will happen. Likely they'd be thinking along the line of James Shields who was rumored about earlier. Gio Gonzalez has also been rumored about, too (although that'd take more).

But the more things you've gotta do to achieve that, the less likely it's going to happen. Realistically, our bullpen is set. Our lineup is set given that we get Reyes (which is by no means guaranteed, either).

Our rotation is not one but two pitchers away from being legitimate. Which is why I'd actually be happy to have Javier Vazquez coming back, really. If he doesn't, there's not much else available in his price range that will make us any better, even with trades. As it stands right now, both Alex Sanabia and Brad Hand hold a spot in our rotation. Neither of them should be on any team in the major leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom