2011 AFL Off Season Thread - We are Geelong, the greatest team of all, for now - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Also footy

Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
The A-League is shit in standards compared to some of the other leagues in Europe. Gotta be better than MLS in the US though. If Harry, Emerton stay around and the likes of Schwarzer, Cahil amongst others possibly finishing their careers in the A-League, can only mean good things. Is it ever gonna be bigger than NRL or AFL? It'll take a bloody long time.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #93
Vocal parasite

I've said a couple of times already this year that I'm over the whole "my sport is better than your sport" thing (that I probably used to engage in a bit too much), and people should just enjoy what they want to enjoy. It's perfectly possible to follow multiple codes passionately and follow a new sport without discarding your old favourites; I think it'd be great if all the codes peacefully co-existed and we had a whole bunch of highly competitive national leagues without feeling like fans have to be "poached" to do so.

That said, I just don't understand how on earth soccer could possibly gain ground on Aussie Rules, rugby union, or rugby league, or why anybody would go to soccer over those three codes. I know this makes my otherwise healthy relationship with SBS rocky, but I would much prefer it if soccer failed miserably in this country. Sure, it's fun to play, but so are golf and lawn bowls, and most people wouldn't entertain the idea of those as spectator sports. Given the massive transformation in sports popularities from 1911 to 2011, I'd just like to believe that in a hundred years' time, more exciting spectator sports will have made considerable inroads to soccer's global lead. And I sincerely hope that part of any such transformation is Aussie Rules becoming an international sport. Seriously, if it can convert me of all people, it can convert almost anybody.

If there's any sport that needs to become popular in Australia, it's European handball. Hurling too. You know, sports that are bloody exciting.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think anyone should have a problem with it either. I know people who love the A-League and don't really support the AFL at all. Different strokes different folks. Its obviously a lot cheaper to go to the lesser followed sports (expect the NBL was offering me $75 seats two weeks ago! mg
Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #95
Vocal parasite

Haha, there is that perk. I'm disappointed the attempt to create a national rugby union tournament, the Australian Rugby Championship or whatever it was called, failed after just one season in 2007. Australia needs something to rival the NPC and the Currie Cup. Put it this way: if Australia had suffered a catastrophic loss of their first two choices for first five-eighth in the World Cup like New Zealand did, they would've been stuffed. The All Blacks were able to pluck Aaron Cruden fresh and match-fit from the NPC and he was a key figure in last night's game.

And I'm mainly looking forward to the 2012 Olympics so that I can get my quadrennial fix of European handball.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Oh yeah, Handball is the best!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #97
Vocal parasite

Let's start a Melbourne team.

... on second thoughts, nobody should ever start a sports team with me.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

You can be the coach.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #99
Vocal parasite

Me as coach: You were great this game!
Player: But didn't you see me give away three goals? I was only on for about five minutes too!
Me, internally: Shit, they all look like the same blur from a distance.
Me: ... you were still great!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Pretty successful trade week for the Crows, I would have to say. Already excited for the pre-season and next year.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #102
Vocal parasite

I see you got one of ours, Vladelaide.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Yeah, I actually found out that he had his own blog while at Essendon and prior to that had promoted himself on BigFooty!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #104
Vocal parasite

Haha!

And looks like St Kilda's copping it for poor trade decisions.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Guy at work played with that Jenkins guy. I "bet" he'll be great for you guys. Vlad