2011 AFL Off Season Thread - We are Geelong, the greatest team of all, for now - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #376
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM

Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #377
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
It would be nice even if Carlton went back to Optus Oval or whatever its called now.
I notice a whole bunch of warm-up games this weekend are at Princes Park/Optus Oval/Visy Park/that big thing on Royal Parade north of the university. What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
The awkward moment where you don't have a mobile phone and you can't type anything in.
2002, let me introduce you to 2012.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #378
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I notice a whole bunch of warm-up games this weekend are at Princes Park/Optus Oval/Visy Park/that big thing on Royal Parade north of the university. What's up with that?
The VFL use it regularly as well. Its a shame. I can see why the Hawks don't play at Glennferrie and the Saints at Moorabbin anymore, but Optus Oval is plenty big enough to host games that definitely wouldn't sell out at the G/Etihad
Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #379
Vocal parasite

Yeah, agreed. Plus, it's not like it's lost down some side street and would suffer from transport chaos. It's on Royal fucking Parade, and really close to Citylink and the Eastern, not to mention the route 19 tram has one of the highest capacities of any route in the city and the railway's close.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #380
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:00 PM
It's a shame that opportunities to maintain some element of suburban footy were never pursued. Bit of a conservatively minded cop out really.

Glenferrie and Punt Road were never realistic possibilities, but Princes Park, Victoria Park, Moorabbin and Western Oval were.

Refurbishments that upped the capacity of these stadiums to 30-45,000 would have made them viable to host up to 7 home games a season, and given clubs true home grounds, as Geelong and some of the non-Vic clubs have.

It also might've curbed the excessive growth of Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon for example, putting a cap of sorts on the amount of supporters these clubs could cater for, and maybe making Footscray and North Melbourne more worth supporting, and minimising their financial woes.

I'll sign up for that tipping comp, shortly
Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #381
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Wtf, I haven't been paying attention at all, should I go to the game Saturday?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #382
Blue Crack Addict

Joined the tipping compa, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
The awkward moment where you don't have a mobile phone and you can't type anything in.
I didn't even know this was still a thing!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #383
45:33

Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #384

We've talked about suburban grounds before, and honestly, as much as I'd like to see games still being played at Optus Oval and the like, it's not feasible. There is no way in hell you could stage an AFL game at Glenferrie Road, for example.

This is not to mention that the VFL (sadly) has a piss poor following.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #385
Vocal parasite

Bonnie, go to the game!

Danny, yeah, I know we rehash the suburban grounds thing a fair bit, and I agree some grounds aren't feasible, but why on earth is Princes Park not? I don't see how it's any less feasible a venue than Kardinia Park or the 'Gabba.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #386

I agree with you on Princes Park. That's a good venue and there's a tram line out the front, no? And there's also an absolute shitload of room to build more parking spaces, no?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #387
Vocal parasite

Yeah, you could whack in a bunch of parking, the route 19 can be very high capacity (especially if the storage shunt a couple of blocks north is reconnected and rewired - it has been disconnected since Princes Park stopped being used), and it's a short walk to the Upfield railway line and to other tram routes. Hell, you could probably clear crowds from there better than half of the stadiums currently in the competition. Definitely bring that one back so that we don't have to see games at the MCG attended by 15,000 people.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #388

And suburbanality - my latest neologism - is dead so all the Vic clubs barring Geelong could play low-drawing home games there.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

I have a footy folder in My Pictures, every image is of NicNat jumping.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #390
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Bonnie, go to the game!
Should, hey. Anyone been to a game alone? I'm not sure if I can get someone to to devote their Sat night to me looking at NicNat on such a short notice. I mean, as long as I don't get stabbed on the way to my car I should be alright, yeah? Even drunk Crows fans are bound to be apathetic since it's a NAB game, right?