2011 AFL Off Season Thread - We are Geelong, the greatest team of all, for now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great. Another nail in the coffin for the germ that is the Knob Cup, a tournament the clubs don't want to win. This is where tanking is very real (ie. Paul Roos ordering his player to play up forward, but to dare not kick a goal).

This West Sydney side could really see some serious rewriting of the record books this season. A lot is riding on how good Scully, Ward and Palmer are this year. Most of their other experienced AFL players are washed up or just garbage anyway, especially the likes of Dean Bogan, McDonald and the awful Setanta O'hAilpin. It will get ugly.

Remember, GWS actually played in the NAB Cup last year as well, and if I remember correctly, they weren't 100% hopeless then either.

But reading anything substantial into last night's results is like saying that Afghanistan being competitive against the West Indies in a game of beach cricket is in any way indicative of a decent performance at the ODI World Cup.

I had COMPLETELY forgotten GWS played in it last year. I was going to quote your post and be a smart arse, until I remembered. And didn't Gold Coast beat Sydney in a game? Last night I was saying to myself Gold Coast and Sydney were in a group, and I was sure there was another Sydney team, but there can't have been, so it must have been St Kilda.

Just checked - last year, GWS were in the same group as Sydney and the Gold Coast. They got fucking MAULED by the Swans (13.5 83 to 0.4 4!), but then managed 4.3 27 to Gold Coast's 8.4 52.

And interestingly enough, Gold Coast beat Sydney 4.1 25 to 3.4 22.

Surprise, Essendon's shit on the road!

God I hope we figure out how to travel even vaguely decently this year.

Wow, that's pretty shit news about LeCras.

And Danny, it's not so much that I care, more just that Essendon really, REALLY need to fucking sort their shit out on the road, and it's been such a problem the last few years that writing this off just because it's the NAB Cup doesn't wash with me. Hell, this should be the ideal time to sort their shit out and get some momentum and confidence away from home, given how little of a fuck is generally given - the pressure isn't on half as much as it will be next time they're interstate.

Do you really care? Collingwood beat GWS by three fucking points. GWS will never trail Collingwood by as little as three points this season.

Carlton won, back to back was it? Pre-Season cups in the mid 2000's and I think won back to back wooden spoons in the same year.

The goal of the nab cup is to try a few different things, and try not to get injured!

Could one of you guys explain the NAB cup to me? Why did Freo only score 10, besides the fact that they suck? Are these only half a match?

I see Carlton hasn't played yet, but I have no idea where I would even listen to pre-season footy.

Two 20-minute halves the first two weekends, in pools of three (each team plays twice). Then back to normal for meaningless finals.

Then the real shit starts.

Every year, the pre-season cup just becomes more and more irrelevant.

Wonder when the AFL will get the hint. 2032?

The prize money is pretty good. I mean If North Melbourne win the NAB cup this year, they may be able to train at night time this year

Wow, that Gold Coast / Brisbane / Melbourne group last night looks like it was pretty dire.

I love the Facebook updates from the official AFL page sounding all enthusiastic and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom