2010 World Cup Part 4 . . . The Final Countdown - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #286
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
It's always good to get more people into the game here in the US, but it's a mixed blessing.

Too often we get so many "creative" suggestions form people who have been watching the game for 20 minutes on how to "improve" it.

So, for the record, here's how to improve Baseball. Cancel every game.

But failing that, make it a la cricket and make players catch the ball sans gloves.

American Football. Make players play both ways a la 'real' football, limit substitutions to 3 per game a la "real" football, and eliminate field goals and punts. Go for it every time. oh, and take the silly crash helmets and body armor off a la Rugby and let's see how tough they REALLY are.
We would never survive Rugby.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 AM   #287
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 PM
I was four minutes away from being correct in my prediction.

I knew that they would go into a scoreless overtime and they were just 4 minutes away from starting the penalty kicks - which Holland would have won for sure (imho).

In any case, Holland is still the best team in the entire mondial (undefeated in every game) and being number two in the world is not shabby at all.

As for Paul the Octopus - I'd suggest he stay away from Holland unless he wants to end up the main course in a Dutch sea food restaurant.....

VIVA Espana!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:50 PM
I quite enjoyed the game - much more than the semi-finals Spain vs. Germany which, IMO, was boring. The final was dynamic with Spain having lots of chances, unfortunately they missed lots of them. I was so pissed that the Dutch players were so physical, lots of fouls and unfair play, especially in the first half, and the referee acted much too mildly, IMO. Later, both teams seemed to be equally strong, maybe Spain began to panick a little, but they still seemed to be the slightly better team. However, the game was too long, I was hoping so much it wouldn't go into penalty because penalty is so unfair and I'm really glad that they managed to score a goal within the "almost" regular time.

Eviva Espana! I was really happy to see the Spanish team win and enjoyed the atmosphere at the award ceremony.

Now I have to go to a Spanish restaurants with some friends because we said we'd do that in case the Spanish team wins. Not that I wouldn't want to ... Spanish wine
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post

I still think the Dutch displayed incredible sportsmanship

Yes, I understand they have decided not to build settlements, this time.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:20 AM
A bit belated, but well done Spain. About time.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #291
Refugee

Local Time: 02:50 AM
im looking forward to the next one in four years time

although the time difference will be absolutely attrocious!

no doubt they will play the important matches in the afternoon to cater for the big wigs at uefa

ps unless you live in australia or asia, nobody has any idea the concept of staying up or getting up real early to watch the world cup
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #292
An Interferer

Local Time: 07:50 AM

There's so much more I wanna say.
But I'm afraid it would turn into a personal essay, that I doubt anyone is going to read.
So I might just leave it at that.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post

no doubt they will play the important matches in the afternoon to cater for the big wigs at uefa

ps unless you live in australia or asia, nobody has any idea the concept of staying up or getting up real early to watch the world cup
it'll be alright for new zealand (maybe some bastard early starts, but not up all night) if they actually play for local time. but they won't.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I could only see the last minutes of regular time and the overtime in the bus (which should've been a train, but oh well, that's a whole different story). Really hoped for the Dutch to win.
I guess after what I read and saw the Spanish deserved to win the game. Sad the Dutch comitted such brutal fouls. I really hoped for them just to break through the Spanish midfield and score some goals, or at least make the Spanish go crazy by blocking their passing play. Well, both didn't quite happen. Maybe next time.
Loved seeing how every last person in the Netherlands was going totally crazy for their team, so of course it's quite a blow. But that's the same in any country, so Spain wouldn't have been any different there. They are now one of the few teams who could win the EC and WC consecutively. Their run will end in 2012 though.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #295
I hate this place

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashedCarDriver View Post

i can handle soccer for one month every four years. this was pretty fun. it was nice to have the matches in the morning and early afternoon arizona time. the round robin games started at 430am, 7am and 11am.

when the knock-out round started, the games were at 7am and 1130am.

no way to know what the start times will be in 2014, but i just looked and sao paulo and rio are 4 hours ahead of me (1 hour ahead of eastern time)

Current local time in Brazil – Rio de Janeiro – Rio de Janeiro
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Good for Spain. The best team won.
The Netherlands did fight (literally sometimes) for it and more so than the Germans in the semis.I was hoping for PK's. I seem to be one of the few who loves it. Always exciting.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Am I the only one who disagrees that Spain was the better team? I think both teams deserved to win the game equally, with Spain controlling the game more but the Netherlands getting the best chances (Robben!). It took 115 minutes and two important mistakes by the referee for Spain to score the winning goal and the Dutch were one player short at the time. Not a sign of clear dominance.

I also think the Dutch were a bit too physical. Now I’m not against a physical team but it’s just not a good strategy against a team that likes to dive and a referee who stops the game every time someone coughs.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What mistakes? It was no offside and the second yellow was pretty light but the Netherlands could have already been with 9 at that point.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Dutch should have gotten a corner beforehand and the game should have been stopped just before the goal where it was offside (not the goal was offside, but there was an offside situation a few seconds earlier).
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #300
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 10:50 AM
I thought you could be offsides if the aren't playing the ball. The guy that was offsides was not involved in the play. Is that what you're referring to?

Tags
cephalapod games, espana, fifa, fuck yeah, nederlands, w00000t, world cup