2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewson

Blue Crack Supplier
Let's do this thing:

2995613290_057cfe9869.jpg

From the last thread:

Really? The guy who was coaching the 76ers at the time of their Finals loss to Kobe, supposedly the genesis of all this hatred, has no valid perspective?

If he has something to say about X's and O's, I'm all ears. If he's telling fans who to root for and why, no, his perspective means nothing to me, nor should it. Also, rooting for a player from your hometown is about loyalty.....and Larry Brown, genius though he might be, knows not a thing about loyalty.

Three things:

1. The finals and how he'd take joy in ripping our hearts out.
2. He's a dick in general.
3. He goes to insane lengths to distance himself from Philadelphia unless he wants pity about how poorly they treat him. Where's his hometown? LA, he says. Phils-Dodgers? Dodgers, he says. Buy tickets for your friends from home when you come to town? No.

There are athletes who hail from Philly who are liked. Rip Hamilton holds a basketball camp yearly and puts a good chunk of change into Coatesville High School, for example. People don't have a problem with Rip. He's beaten up on the Sixers in the past too.

EDIT: Larry Brown coached in Philly for some years, that's about it. He's not a Philly guy, whereas at least when they're talking to coaches in the Big 5, they've been here forever.

If he has something to say about X's and O's, I'm all ears. If he's telling fans who to root for and why, no, his perspective means nothing to me, nor should it. Also, rooting for a player from your hometown is about loyalty.....and Larry Brown, genius though he might be, knows not a thing about loyalty.

Brown isn't telling people who to root for. He just said he doesn't understand where all the animosity comes from. And I'm sure he's just as aware as Peef of what Kobe said during those Finals.

Three things:

1. The finals and how he'd take joy in ripping our hearts out.
2. He's a dick in general.
3. He goes to insane lengths to distance himself from Philadelphia unless he wants pity about how poorly they treat him. Where's his hometown? LA, he says. Phils-Dodgers? Dodgers, he says. Buy tickets for your friends from home when you come to town? No.

1. Why is this taken more personally than your normal competitive trash-talking? Because of your city's inferiority complex?
2. Irrelevant
3. The guy's been living here for quite some time now. So what if he likes the Dodgers? If you're from Philly you automatically need to root for their teams?

Most of the people I know who have lived or worked in Philly thought it sucked, one of them saying it was the worst city they've ever been in. I can't imagine it being worse than Detroit or Cleveland, but there you have it. Perhaps it's not a place he has fond memories of.

You really don't think people tend to root for their hometown teams? And you don't think the fact that he's just a dick in general probably has quite a bit to do with it? Really?

This is pointless if you aren't even willing to concede things like that.

People do tend to, I'm not denying that. Personally, aside from the Cubs, I've never been a Chicago sports fan, and have hated the Bears and Bulls for most of my life.

Kobe certainly has an attitude that seems to rub people the wrong way. So did Iverson, no? That's enough to make him Public Enemy #1?

Thing is, while Kobe may not openly cheer on the city, he hasn't said anything outright dismissive or negative about it, seems more like people are mad that he ignores it. If the guy is neutral on the whole thing, why does that engender so much hate?

Most of the people I know who have lived or worked in Philly thought it sucked, one of them saying it was the worst city they've ever been in.

:laugh:

Philly booes Santa Claus, and cheers serious neck injuries on the football field. And they ran Donovan out of town.

Why would they treat Kobe any different?

:laugh:

Philly booes Santa Claus, and cheers serious neck injuries on the football field. And they ran Donovan out of town.

Why would they treat Kobe any different?
That was fifty years ago, that was a small number of people, and Donovan getting run out of town is something admirable because he's lazy and overrated.

People do tend to, I'm not denying that. Personally, aside from the Cubs, I've never been a Chicago sports fan, and have hated the Bears and Bulls for most of my life.

Kobe certainly has an attitude that seems to rub people the wrong way. So did Iverson, no? That's enough to make him Public Enemy #1?

Thing is, while Kobe may not openly cheer on the city, he hasn't said anything outright dismissive or negative about it, seems more like people are mad that he ignores it. If the guy is neutral on the whole thing, why does that engender so much hate?
It's just an example of how he ditched his hometown with tremendous ease. Most of what he's got is simply the return of his attitude towards Philly.

Iverson rubbed some people the wrong way, but he had a number of likable aspects, whereas aside from being a phenomenal basketball player, I can't think of one for Kobe.

What? He's been abrasive about it on a number of occasions. Rasheed Wallace ignores it and doesn't garner nearly as much hate. He too has beaten up on Philly quite a bit in the last decade.

Way too many whistles (on both sides) in the 1st Q, thankfully the refs laid off in the 2nd.
Celts have been sloppy, Lakers have played excellent interior D so far.
Lets see what adjustments they make.

See you all in the AM to discuss the 2nd half, now get back to your Kobe/Philly discussion.

So much for the "Odom needs to have a good game for the Lakers to win" rule.

Although Artest and Bynum playing well on the same night doesn't happen too often, so I guess that makes up for it.

That stat about Phil Jackson never losing a playoff series after winning game one is certainly not something that seems impossible to overturn.

But I know Bill Simmons is worried right now. Said on his last podcast that if the Celtics didn't win tonight that they weren't taking the series.

They had a good chance at a comeback in the 4th until Garnett choked on that layup/dunk/whatever.

That stat about Phil Jackson never losing a playoff series after winning game one is certainly not something that seems impossible to overturn.

But I know Bill Simmons is worried right now. Said on his last podcast that if the Celtics didn't win tonight that they weren't taking the series.

They had a good chance at a comeback in the 4th until Garnett choked on that layup/dunk/whatever.

Considering how big of a cock/hack Simmons is, I'd take that and everything else he has to say with a grain of salt.

The Jackson stat is great, though.

Celtics will run that pick and roll with Pierce a lot more next game, I'd wager.

Garnett misjudged his place under the basket. Let me put on my Bill Walton wig and tell him what he should've done:

bill_walton.jpg

THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN.

Garnett misjudged his place under the basket. Let me put on my Bill Walton wig and tell him what he should've done:

bill_walton.jpg

THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN.

Is that the guys from The Mask?

Is Headache still hatin' on Boston fans?

Hey Mike, random question if you're still here. I'm pretty sure you've been to Staples, but have you ever been inside one of those suites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom