2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooooo, speaking of anticlimactic, it looks like a bunch of different sources are reporting that Lebron to Miami is basically a done deal. Jesus fucking Christ on toast. I'm not completely against this whole one hour Lebron decision special as so many people seem to be, it's not that big of a deal to me, but how are you gonna let the news leak out before hand? I feel like if you're Lebron, and you're having this big ESPN special...keep that shit under wraps. It can't be that hard to keep a lid on it for like 12 hours can it?

Or maybe this Miami news is premature.

It could be, but it definitely makes sense. When I first heard a week ago those reports about Bosh, Wade, and James all joining up in Miami it clicked. It made sense. They figured it out. They realized that this is a literally once in a lifetime thing, having this much talent all out there, and the best thing for them to do is to ALL land somewhere together. Why split it up and fight against each other for a decade? Just join up. They fucking figured it out, dammit.

If this is the case, he's an even bigger bitch than I thought. Anyone who's that good shouldn't need the help of both those guys to win a title. I really hope Wade and Bosh made their decision together BEFORE knowing about this.

It's pretty much a straight 24hr cycle re which team has a 'done deal' with LeBron. NYC last 24hrs, Miami this 24hrs, Nets and Bulls have had their turn. So many conflicting 'strong source' leaks too - and a lot of them probably are very decent sources - I would think it's a fair bet that Team LeBron are doing it deliberately to keep up the hype.

One hour tv specials and players having very public meetings with multiple teams, camera crews in tow, makes me miss the NBA of generations gone by. If it were 1990, not 2010, LeBron would likely have just quietly re-signed with the Cavs. No empire to build. No brand to hype above and beyond all else. So I guess big thumbs up to Durant for simply not being a dick. I'm half expecting whichever team LeBron signs with to announce a colour scheme/logo change at the same time, something that sits better with the Nike LBJ branding.

yes, we should all trust chris broussard's word that he's "leaning towards miami, but his family is trying to convince him to stay in cleveland, although new york and chicago still have a chance as well."

um... what? this is the same dude who wants us to believe that "outside sources" told him what his own company was doing, right?

this is all a big scam by the world wide leader. word got out of where the secret location was, people started tweeting a little too much, so espn and team lebron wanted to keep the spotlight on the great lebron decision.

he's making the announcement in greenwich, ct... one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the world... which also happens to be 15 minutes from the knicks training facility, where two cablevision helicopters just happened to have been dispatched to last night. there's only two things that make this make sense... he's signing with the knicks, or his gynormous ego wants to get the new york market tuned in so he's teasing them by announcing so close, which i would not put past this man.

no matter if he ends up with the heat, the knicks, the bulls or olympiakos... two things are for sure; lebron james and chris broussard are gigantic douchebags.

It's pretty much a straight 24hr cycle re which team has a 'done deal' with LeBron. NYC last 24hrs, Miami this 24hrs, Nets and Bulls have had their turn. So many conflicting 'strong source' leaks too - and a lot of them probably are very decent sources - I would think it's a fair bet that Team LeBron are doing it deliberately to keep up the hype.

That can only mean he's going to The Clippers! :wink:

If this is the case, he's an even bigger bitch than I thought. Anyone who's that good shouldn't need the help of both those guys to win a title.

Every great player in NBA history has needed a lot of help to win a title. So why not just go and join up with the best help out there? One of the Top 5 players in the league and an All-Star forward who's probably Top 10 or 15 in the league. I don't see it being a bitch move. I see it as smart. Very smart.

It's almost too immediate though, and kind of smells.

Bulls or Knicks would be my vote if I were in his crew. It won't be as immediate, but over the next couple of seasons, both will be able to put together one hell of a team around him. Not just have him as a kind of parachuted in superstar to buddy up with the already in-residence superstar to create a superstar supernova.

And then of those two, I'd go Knicks. Turning the Knicks into winners, perhaps championship winners, and making an all-time hero of yourself in New York in the process would be fantastic. Returning Chicago to the top after not so long a spell away from the summit, and walking past that statue of Michael Jordan every day to do it, that wouldn't be so appealing to me. He's got to achieve a hell of a lot in Chicago just to even stand a chance of ever remotely comparing to Jordan and that era. In New York, he's just got to win one and they'll name half the island after him.

As a Cavs fan, I don't have a problem with LeBron wanting to leave for what he perceives as a better opportunity. That happens. However, I do have a problem with the way he's handling this announcement...doing this tv special tonight, it's basically a big FUCK YOU to his fans in Northeast Ohio.

Every great player in NBA history has needed a lot of help to win a title. So why not just go and join up with the best help out there? One of the Top 5 players in the league and an All-Star forward who's probably Top 10 or 15 in the league. I don't see it being a bitch move. I see it as smart. Very smart.

Agreed!

They say he’s making the announcement in the first ten minutes. So I presume the first five minutes will be a montage of great moments in history – man walking on the moon, Berlin Wall being torn down, LeBron getting drafted, LeBron dunking, LeBron arriving at the Boys and Girls Club earlier that evening (slow motion, cameras flashing). Then he’ll talk for a minute about what it means to be an icon. What a burden it is. Then they’ll show a minute or two of footage of people like Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, and LeBron signing an autograph for a dude in a wheelchair while he’s looking the other way and talking to someone else. Then he’ll say that with great power comes great responsibility. And that he has to live up to the responsibility he has as an icon. And that along the way people have to make tough decisions. The music is stirring. They’ve actually got an orchestra in the building doing it live. And then… that is why I have chosen the Heat/Knicks/Bulls/Nets. There are then a couple of rubbish questions about that, and he’ll talking about winning being everything, and then the host will ask him if he has anything to say to the people of Cleveland. He doesn’t say anything live, they just cut to a pre-recorded segment with a voiceover from him talking about adversity, and rising up, showing footage of him as a kid looking annoyed interspersed with footage of starving Africans and upset New Yorkers on 9/11. Then a choir kicks in and LeBron is preaching about reaching for your best, and never give up, and there’s a new day ahead, and there are pictures of LeBron smiling and LeBron celebrating and dunking! And then John Legend bursts out of nowhere and it’s all suddenly lively, and fireworks are going off and they are cutting live to the city he has chosen where there’s a massive spontaneous street party where everyone is waving big Nike banners and then that’s about it.

From Simmons' column today:

13. I think it's a cop-out. Any super-competitive person would rather beat Dwyane Wade than play with him. Don't you want to find the Ali to your Frazier and have that rival pull the greatness out of you? That's why I'm holding out hope that LeBron signs with New York or Chicago (or stays in Cleveland), because he'd be saying, "Fine. Kobe, Dwight and Melo all have their teams. Wade and Bosh have their teams. The Celtics are still there. Durant's team is coming. I'm gonna go out and build MY team, and I'm kicking all their asses." That's what Jordan would have done. Hell, that's what Kobe would have done.

In May, after the Cavs were ousted in the conference semifinals, I wrote that LeBron was facing one of the greatest sports decisions ever: "winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!"

There are more points than that one, but it pretty much sums up the options and the reasons behind them. And I agree that it's a desperate move.

I'm betting for a christmas day game Miami at Cleveland on ABC.

*by the way Lebron,how many NBA rings do you own?*...just a random question....

The Cavs probably won't even be in Cleveland anymore by Christmas. Stern will enact some emergency procedure allowing them to move to another city so they can find new fans after the old ones all kill themselves or swear off basketball for life.

From Simmons' column today:

13. I think it's a cop-out. Any super-competitive person would rather beat Dwyane Wade than play with him. Don't you want to find the Ali to your Frazier and have that rival pull the greatness out of you? That's why I'm holding out hope that LeBron signs with New York or Chicago (or stays in Cleveland), because he'd be saying, "Fine. Kobe, Dwight and Melo all have their teams. Wade and Bosh have their teams. The Celtics are still there. Durant's team is coming. I'm gonna go out and build MY team, and I'm kicking all their asses." That's what Jordan would have done. Hell, that's what Kobe would have done.

In May, after the Cavs were ousted in the conference semifinals, I wrote that LeBron was facing one of the greatest sports decisions ever: "winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!"

There are more points than that one, but it pretty much sums up the options and the reasons behind them. And I agree that it's a desperate move.

But Simmons himself is a huge bitch and hypocrite, so I'm not sure quoting him is helping you out.

What if he announces he's staying in Cleveland?

Great question. Even if he stays, I think a lot of Clevelanders will still be pissed of how this process was handled by James and his camp. Fans will be happy that he is staying but will look at him from a different perspective from here on out.....until/if he wins a championship...and then all will be forgiven. :)

Yeah, endless (and slow-motion) shots of various Cavs fans crying in bars would be hilarious, followed by the "opposition party rebuttal" from Cleveland's mayor or the Ohio governor or someone.

What if LeBron rips his shirt off to reveal a team jersey, but then keeps pulling them off to reveal different teams underneath, until arriving at the final one?

That way each city can experience both the joy and agony.

That can only mean he's going to The Clippers! :wink:

that can only mean he's going to the clippers! :wink:

I would laugh if that happened. Why?

*by the way Lebron,how many NBA rings do you own?*...just a random question....

Because then Kobe and DFish would have someone to loan their rings when their hands get tired.

This whole circus really makes me hate him. I have to remember he's still pretty young and will hopefully mature.

He's not immature. He's just egocentric. That's not going to abate with time. By all other accounts, this is a guy with his head screwed on reasonably straight. He just has an ego that's about as outsized as can be.

What I'd love is for him to announce that he's going to Cleveland, then mid-way through his interview, Jim Ross arrives out of nowhere as some ominous music plays. Ross proceeds to yell "What the hell is this???? That's PAT RILEY'S MUSIC! NOOOOOOO!!!!" and then you see Riley, Wade and Bosh arrive as James rips off his Cavs jersey to reveal his Heat jersey.

It could happen.

/Mr Pryck

Well,if he is thinking that highly of himself,than he should go with the bulls and try to fill Jordan's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom