2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a feeling that this free agency extravaganza is going to end up being extremely anti-climactic. The top-tier guys (LeBron, Wade, Dirk, and A'mare) are all going to stay put, I think. The biggest prize will probably be Carmelo next year rather than Bosh or Johnson this year.

This right here is a Cavs fan in denial.

Obviously I don't know what LeBron is going to do. But I do think that his best chance for cementing a first-tier legacy is in bringing titles to Cleveland. In Chicago, as Headache and many others have noted, he will forever play second-fiddle to Jordan, and in either New York or New Jersey he will enter a rebuilding process of at least two years regardless of who else signs in either of those places.

The only point that I'd like to make is that LeBron leaving Cleveland is not as certain as many would like to think. He hasn't tipped his hat either way yet, regardless of what Adrian Wojnarowski, Bill Simmons, or any other of those clownish sportswriters claim.

That reasoning makes logical sense, but LeBitch wants the glory now. He'd rather play in the spotlight and contend there than MAYBE be able to bring a title to Cleveland.

As for the second fiddle thing, If he can be Shaq/Kobe to Jordan's Magic Johnson, I think he'd be cool with that, no?

I've got a feeling that this free agency extravaganza is going to end up being extremely anti-climactic. The top-tier guys (LeBron, Wade, Dirk, and A'mare) are all going to stay put, I think. The biggest prize will probably be Carmelo next year rather than Bosh or Johnson this year.

Most put Bosh as a top-teir guy before Amare and Dirk(if Dirk were younger he'd be top-tier, imo).

Most put Bosh as a top-teir guy before Amare and Dirk(if Dirk were younger he'd be top-tier, imo).

I'm no fan of Dirk, but from what I've seen Dirk is more versatile and efficient than Bosh. I just think that none of the pundits believe that Dirk is leaving Dallas, so his free agency is not being taken as seriously as is that of Bosh.

He'd rather play in the spotlight and contend there than MAYBE be able to bring a title to Cleveland.

I see your point, but every reasonable destination for him is a "maybe" in terms of championship potential. Even a LeBron / Wade / Bosh leviathan still has to compete with your Lakers, whom I assume will not be idle in the offseason.

It seems as though the assumption is floating around the media that a [LeBron] + [second max contract player] team guarantees a championship, which certainly is not the case.

Looks like the Bulls are trying to trade Deng for more cap space too. There's a report that the Bulls tried to trade him to the Clippers on draft day, but the Clippers wanted the Bulls to take #8 back, and the Bulls didn't want to add #8's salary to the payroll, so the deal didn't happen. There's another more recent report that the Bulls offered Dallas Deng for Dampier(and his instant-expiring contract), but that Dallas said no. If they've been trying to this hard, I have to think they're going to keep trying. Trading Deng is the only way to have room for two 16+mil max deals - even after the Hinrich trade, the Bulls are still between 2 and 3 million short.

DUST for Deng? Hell no. That's laughably bad. Nice try, Chicago, but find another sucker.

More than an slightly-above-average player who plays a position the team already has more than clogged with Butler and Marion's obscene deal. Deng doesn't fill any holes for this team. Do I necessarily think they'll land LeBron? No. It'd be great and it's more than a possibility. Keep in mind any sort of S&T for him would certainly involve Butler, making the forward problem a moot point. I expect some combination of DUST, Butler's talents and remaining year, picks, (hopefully not) Roddy B, or cash to be utilized well by Donnie and Cuban. I've got faith that they can stage some sort of coup. For instance, a deal for Chris Paul would be a major victory in my eyes, but that hinges on New Orleans' willingness to deal within the division. With Collison's future as bright as it is and their owner looking to cut salary at all costs, DUST, Butler, and Roddy B for Paul, Okafor's giant contract, and let's say Julian Wright (this trade works) is a pretty sweet deal. New Orleans comes away from that shedding salary and getting a coveted young talent in Roddy B. Losing Paul sucks, but they'll never be able to afford him while pinching pennies, and they've got Collison ready to go.

Out of all the possible destinations for a top tier free agent to land, the Mavericks provide the best opportunity to win now. New York and New Jersey won't be instant contenders. No one is going to sign for Donald Sterling. There isn't much worth writing home about on Miami's roster in my eyes. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest threat for free agents is Chicago. Why would you give them the opportunity to sign two max deal top tier FAs while taking yourself out of the race by losing your biggest chip? Yes, I expect big things from DUST. Bigger than Luol Deng. So does the Mavs brain trust. Whether anyone cares to admit it or not, Dallas is a terribly attractive destination. Much is being made of LeBron's love for the Yankees, but nothing's being said about the Cowboys being his favorite football team. He could play in their house a handful of times a year, at that. That's of course only if we're considering all the frills like "how amazing New York city is" that folks think will play in his decision. DFW is a monster of a media market in its own right and is home to the NBA owner who has proven he'll spend whatever it takes to put a contender on the floor. And let's not forget the fact that Dallas can only bring in a max player via S&T, meaning a LeBron or Wade or whoever could get that sixth year and extra money.

This is all assuming Dirk is signed, which I should happen some time around 12:01 AM on July 1.

I could see them netting Joe Johnson with the DUST chip and Butler, or maybe Boozer.

Hell, I'd love to see the Magic make a run at someone by dangling Gortat and Carter's virtual expiring deal (he has a team option after this year), something that'll allow them to get a dynamic scorer and keep J.J. Redick. Also, getting rid of the biggest choke artist of the century would be nice.

Johnson fills a huge void at SG, but his disappearing act in the Playoffs raises the ole eyebrow. Either way, one school of thought is the idea that turning Dampier into any sort of positive upgrade is a win. I don't subscribe to this particular theory, but getting Joe Johnson, resigning Haywood, and have either Damp boomerang for the vet minimum or Shaq (who holds Dallas as his preferred desitnation) come in for the MLE makes for a more than serviceable roster. I'd be okay with going to war with a Kidd-Joe Johnson-Marion-Dirk-Haywood starting five with guys like Roddy B, Shaq, hopeful rookie sensation Dominique Jones, and Jason Terry's corpse off the bench.

If we're talking purely fitting into the current roster, I don't see a better option than Wade. High praise considering everyone here knows how much I can't stand him. That remote possibility is only worth thinking about if things don't shake out the way he hopes down in Miama.

Are these bastards Lebron and Wade really going to swallow their pride and do what's best for their futures and title hopes by teaming up? God dammit. I honestly didn't think they were that smart.

I can't imagine they would, but there's really no telling at this point.

News came through today that the Mavericks are one of three teams (the Knicks and Bulls being the other two) apart from Miami that will gain an audience with D-Whistle. So here's hoping no other FAs decide to go pal around on South Beach and he bolts.

Of course, that report could be complete bullshit, much like the majority of the other ones floating around. I mean how can LeBron to the Bulls be a "done deal" when they haven't had a chance to talk yet?

Are these bastards Lebron and Wade really going to swallow their pride and do what's best for their futures and title hopes by teaming up? God dammit. I honestly didn't think they were that smart.

Wade doesn't need someone of LeBitch's calibre to win a title, just one decent partner and some better role players. He's already one of the five best players in basketball, easily.

I think it would be kind of pathetic for him to defer to someone else at this point.

I'm just referring to the most recent reports which have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh seriously considering all teaming up in Miami. Like impy said, who knows if any of this shit is true, but those are the three best free agents in the best free agent class ever. And if they all land in the same spot? Jesus. That would immediately shift the power in the NBA to Miami for the next decade.

It just seems to make sense to me. These cats (Lebron, especially) are keenly aware of how huge this decision is, and how all eyes are on them. I get the feeling they want to sort of shock the world, you know? Nothing would be crazier, more jaw dropping, or, frankly, smarter, than for the three of them to somehow work it out so they're all on the same team. Frightening stuff.

The real problem lies in ego. Would any one of them want to be second or third banana when they're getting all this attention as the potential building block of a franchise? Impossible to say, but I'd put the odds of all three landing in the same spot about as likely as Bosh staying in Toronto. It also needs to be taken into consideration that almost all of them (if they move) would prefer going by SnT to get that extra year and about $30 million more. No team has the assets to make that happen for some many maxed out players. Now two in one place I can see as more likely. The thought of LeBron and Bosh both going to Chicago scares the shit out of me.

In other news, I'm starting to get more and more optimistic about the Mavs' chances to land spmething huge. Is it Thursday yet?

Perhaps I'm going to need someone to explain the finances to me, but how the hell is Miami going to pay all three of those guys and still field an accompanying team? It seems as though one of the three would have to sign for less than the maximum - I'd love to overhear the conversation where they discuss which of them will take the pay cut.

Just a few other things about which I've been wondering:

1. All the Chicago talk has centered on LeBron, but is not Wade also a possibility? He's from Chicago and would occupy the two slot vacated by Heinrich. His name, however, has hardly been mentioned in conjunction with any of the cap-clearing teams.

2. It seems that an inordinate amount of attention is being given to Bosh in all these scenarios, perhaps owing to the "destination list," radio appearances, etc. But A'mare and Boozer, to me at least, are just as desirable in terms of high-quality big men. Pairing with Bosh, I think, is not the only attractive option for LeBron and Wade.

And he's got that movie with Adrien Brody, Danny Trejo, and Morpheus coming out next week.

1. All the Chicago talk has centered on LeBron, but is not Wade also a possibility? He's from Chicago and would occupy the two slot vacated by Heinrich. His name, however, has hardly been mentioned in conjunction with any of the cap-clearing teams.

1. Because Wade is the most likely of the big three by far to stay put this summer.

2. Because last month Wade said some shit about the Bulls' FO not being loyal enough(BS), so I'm guessing that they're not so hot on him anymore.

I don't think LeBron will go to Miami. Wade would always have one more ring, and it'll always be said that he couldn't win without Wade.

I think he'll go to Chicago or stay put in Cleveland.

And no one will commit to the Mavs until Dirk commits to a new contract.

But A'mare and Boozer, to me at least, are just as desirable in terms of high-quality big men.

And that's where I gotta disagree with you. The prospect of Bosh coming to Chicago excites me soooooo much more than either of those other guys. I don't know, he's younger, is the better defender, seems to fit better, and I think he's just flat out more talented. Especially with the Bosh vs. Boozer comparison here. To me that's a no brainer. I do not want Carlos Boozer on the Bulls. At all. He does nothing for me. Dude should stick with the Jazz. He's the perfect Utahn player: solid and hard working, but completely bland and boring. Yuck.

So let's say this Wade/Lebron/Bosh thing happens. Chicago will still want to add 2 max guys correct? With Rose already there I'd figure if they could add Johnson and Boozer/Stoudemire to Rose, Noah, and Deng and have a pretty formiddable team. But where does that leave NY and NJ?

But where does that leave NY and NJ?

Waiting for 'Melo next offseason?

I'm super stressed out about this shit, guys. I really just want to get it over with and see how it shakes down. Hopefully once Thursday rolls around, these assholes don't wait too long to make their decisions.

I'm super stressed out about this shit, guys. I really just want to get it over with and see how it shakes down. Hopefully once Thursday rolls around, these assholes don't wait too long to make their decisions.

Tell me about it! The Cavs franchise will essentially liquidate if LeBron does not resign. Cleveland undoubtedly has the most to lose in the coming weeks.

Cavs to Seattle without LeBronica. The Emerald City deserves its reparations.

ESPN's "NBA Free Agency Summit" featuring Simmons, Kornholer, Le Batard, and the always awful Michael Wilbon was one of the worst half hours of televison I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, that's why everyone from out of town keeps referencing Thursday. Seriously, I had no clue free agency was almost here. The life of a Sixers fan. ENTHRALLING.

Cavs to Seattle without LeBronica. The Emerald City deserves its reparations.

ESPN's "NBA Free Agency Summit" featuring Simmons, Kornholer, Le Batard, and the always awful Michael Wilbon was one of the worst half hours of televison I've ever seen, more or less because Dan Simmons is a cock who was blessed with a voice only a person who beats the shit out of skinny little cocks devoid of actual writing skills would love

7/1 cannot come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom