2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine from college, big celtics fan, sent me a text midway through the 3rd quarter in which he suggested that marquis daniels started banging ray allen's mom after game 2. think about it... ray hasn't made a shot since then, and we get no more sideline shots of ray's mom in her sparkley jersey. put it together, put it together...

They showed her during game 5. (She may have been sitting on Marquis's lap, I'm not sure)

wallshoe.jpg

john wall shoulda went with nike.

All I can say is that I am glad I saw this game with my son.
I had about 6 beers in me and I was getting restless with all the missed free throws by Pau and Kobe, that was killing me.
My boy (Who is 10), just looked at me and said; "They will come back, dad...they will".

Once Fish got that 3 pointer to tie and Pau got that rebound later on, he gave me a chest bump.

Good times.

Thanks Mike.

Now to find out when's the parade...I would think Sunday?

edit;

Monday @ 11 am
Up to 2 million expected at the ceremony? No way.

i'm sure if you ran down the list of the greatest of great all time players you could find someone who had a similar dog shit performance in such a huge game, but you're gonna have to do a lot of looking, and you're not going to find one on jordan's resume', bird's resume', russel's resume' or magic's resume'. kobe is an all time great player. there is no doubt about that. but he's not on the same level as jordan, bird, magic and bill russell. and that's not an insult. to be just below those guys is an unbelievable achievement. but no matter how much espn and david stern tries to market him as more, he just isn't.

At least he got his shit together before the end of the game. He sank a great jumper, and made those three free throws like they were nothing. And I don't know why you mention his rebounding efforts in passing like they didn't majorly affect the game. EVERYONE was shooting bad, and Kobe's efforts on the board were just as crucial to their win as anyone else's contribution.

I know this should have been a time to rise to the occasion, but the bottom line is that the award is for the MVP of the series, not Game 7.

At least he got his shit together before the end of the game. He sank a great jumper, and made those three free throws like they were nothing. And I don't know why you mention his rebounding efforts in passing like they didn't majorly affect the game. EVERYONE was shooting bad, and Kobe's efforts on the board were just as crucial to their win as anyone else's contribution.

I know this should have been a time to rise to the occasion, but the bottom line is that the award is for the MVP of the series, not Game 7.

2 of the 3 games in which kobe scored 30 points the lakers lost.

when it comes down to it, there was no MVP for this series. one time i'd like to see a league come out and say "hey, ya know what? nobody gets it."

spin it any way you like... kobe was awful on offense last night... incredibly bad for a player of his magnitude. pao and artest bailed him out from being one of the biggest goats in finals history.

i said kobe rebounded well. he did. i don't glorify his rebounding totals because he didn't dominate the glass. he rebounded well. his awful offensive performance outweighed his rebounding.

pao and artest were terrific, and fisher's shot was incredibly clutch. i'll even give bynum a lot of props for gutting his way through a game in which he was in obvious pain.

kobe? he sucked. ray allen? he sucked too.

"While some might hold Kobe's subpar performance in Thursday's Game 7 against him, he still had 15 rebounds and found a way to score 23 points, mainly by hitting 11 of 15 foul shots. Plus, other immortals have struggled in big moments. Magic had so many flubs in the Lakers' 1984 loss to Boston, including dribbling out the clock at the end of regulation in Game 2, that he was being called "Tragic'' Johnson. And Michael shot 6-for-19 and 5-for-19 in two of Chicago's Finals games against Seattle in 1996."

2010 NBA Finals: Kobe Byrant is now the greatest Los Angeles Laker of all time - ESPN

Yeah, bunch of liars and propagandists.

Forgive me if I don't have all these stats at my mental disposal.

Bunch of hyperbolists is more like it.

I agree he's the MVP, despite the lackluster scoring in Game 7. And those rebounds and free throws were critical, so unlike Headache I don't really pan him too much for last night.

But to rate him better than Magic, Jordan, Bird, etc. I'm sorry, there's just no way. Magic is and always will be the best Laker.

I agree he's the MVP, despite the lackluster scoring in Game 7. And those rebounds and free throws were critical, so unlike Headache I don't really pan him too much for last night.

But to rate him better than Magic, Jordan, Bird, etc. I'm sorry, there's just no way. Magic is and always will be the best Laker.

This Magic? :wink:
MagicMaddy-small.jpg

:up:

"While some might hold Kobe's subpar performance in Thursday's Game 7 against him, he still had 15 rebounds and found a way to score 23 points, mainly by hitting 11 of 15 foul shots. Plus, other immortals have struggled in big moments. Magic had so many flubs in the Lakers' 1984 loss to Boston, including dribbling out the clock at the end of regulation in Game 2, that he was being called "Tragic'' Johnson. And Michael shot 6-for-19 and 5-for-19 in two of Chicago's Finals games against Seattle in 1996."

2010 NBA Finals: Kobe Byrant is now the greatest Los Angeles Laker of all time - ESPN

ok... firstly we're talking about a game 7. things are measured differently in a game 7 then in any other game.

that aside... the best things brousard can come up with is two bad shooting games from jordan that occured after the bulls already had a 3-0 lead in the series, and a few games from magic's 5th year in the league? well done.

and any espn "expert" who argues about greatest lakers of all time and never brings up jerry west's name should not be allowed to talk about greatest lakers of all time ever again.

Hey, I wasn't agreeing with the main thesis of the article; I'm not saying he's better than any of the people you mentioned. You're right about Magic always being the best "Laker" because he's a charismatic symbol of the team in its heyday. And of course we can't truly judge anything until Kobe's career is over, but I don't think it's going to be ludicrous to claim he may be a better all-around player.

i'd go this way...

1. magic
2. kobe
3. west
4. baylor
5. jabbar
6. shaq
7. chamberlain
8. worthy
9. mikan
10. goodrich

this is obviously just based on their laker careers... chamberlain would be at the top of my list if it was based on their entire careers.

It's hard to argue with that top ten. Byron Scott/Michael Cooper are just on the outside of this list, but, there are the ten I'd go with, too....and I think my rankings would be about the same. The only two I might flip are Shaq and Elgin, though, I wouldn't argue with anyone about it or anything.

AM710 is having a poll right now - Greatest Laker. Text A for Magic, B for Kobe to 66369.
Currently 57% for Magic, 43% for Kobe.

Showtime!

Kobe can win 12 championships and Magic will still be my favorite Laker.

Word. Showtime era Lakers are tops for me, and Magic lead the way. I've never rewatched any of those classic finals games to see how they stack up to today's teams, so a large part of that is probably just nostalgia from having grown up in SoCal watching the Lakers during the Showtime era - but man did I love that team. Magic, Kareem, Scott, Worthy, Cooper, hell, even A.C. Green. Tops. :up:

Unfortunately I did not get to watch any of the game. I caught the score on my phone about 1/4 of the way through the 3rd, and then was able to listen to the 4th quarter on the radio. I was getting really hopeful when the Celtics started hitting the 3 in the last couple minutes, but the answers from Fish and Artest, plus the Laker's total domination of the boards just killed any chance they had of squeaking back. Exciting to listen to, though - that's for sure.

So, who's coming to the Knicks this off-season? Lebron/Bosh? Wade/Bosh? Just Lee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom