2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bol dies after battle with disease

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- An associate of former NBA player Manute Bol says Bol has died at a Virginia hospital, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition known as Stevens-Johnsons Syndrome.

Sudan Sunrise executive director Tom Prichard said in an e-mail that the 7-foot-6 Bol died Saturday morning at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville.

The 47-year-old Bol played 10 seasons in the NBA and later founded Sudan Sunrise, a humanitarian group based in Lenexa, Kan., that promotes reconciliation in Sudan. Bol played professionally with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami.

Selected in the second round of the 1985 draft by the Washington Bullets, Bol was a shot-blocking force in the NBA despite his slight build. In his rookie season in Washington, he averaged a league-leading five blocks per game and ranks 14th in NBA history with 2,086 blocks.

For his career, Bol averaged 4.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 6.4 blocks per game.

Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. At the time of Bol's hospitalization, Pritchard said it was believed the medication he took in Africa for his kidney problems resulted in the disease.

Prichard said Saturday that Sudan "and the world have lost a hero."

May he rest in peace.

Bol was only 47? Yeesh. Sad to hear.

shoulda been you shawn bradley

Hasn't the guy taken enough punishment?

shawn.jpg
webber-dunk1.jpg

Bol walked past me in the Fleetcenter lobby before game 6 of the 2002 Eastern Conference finals...tallest human I've ever been next to...RIP Manute.

You saw how the treatment they gave to the blue Monstar. Bradley had to be mortified.

It's hard to argue with that top ten. Byron Scott/Michael Cooper are just on the outside of this list, but, there are the ten I'd go with, too....and I think my rankings would be about the same. The only two I might flip are Shaq and Elgin, though, I wouldn't argue with anyone about it or anything.

i may put shaq ahead of baylor as an all time player, but shaq falls into the same thing that hurts chamberlain and jabbar, at least on my list, in that they both had huge accomplishments when they weren't on the lakers, where as elgin baylor was a laker lifer.

and a damned good one at that... baylor might be one of the most under appreciated players in NBA history. career averages of 27.4 ppg and 13.4 rebounds per game. all nba 1st team 10 times.

but he never won an MVP, and only won one title... much like those who got screwed by playing against jordan, he got screwed by playing in the era of the russell celtics.

How did I just find out that Sasha Vujacic was dating Maria Sharapova??

No wonder everyone hates the guy.

He can call himself whatever he wants if he bagged that prize.

THE MACHINE!!

Wow, I didn't know that either. I already really liked Sasha. Now I like him even more.

These next few weeks should be muy interesante in NBALand. Starting with this draft here in less than 48 hours. And after a few weeks of it being one of the biggest topics of conversation between me and my friends, I am now completely 100% on the Lebron to Chicago bandwagon. Just in case anyone was wondering. Which you weren't.

How could anyone in their right mind not want him on their team? It's not like he's some total scumbag who is good but poisons a locker room or undermines the coach, etc.

He might come off as a dick now and then but he sure as fuck is gonna make your team better.

How could anyone in their right mind not want him on their team? It's not like he's some total scumbag who is good but poisons a locker room or undermines the coach, etc.

well... i'm not 100% sold on that, at least the "doesn't undermine the coach" part. i don't think he's a scumbag, just a borderline douchebag.

anyone who's as large an egomaniac as lebron has the ability to undermine his coach. i did find myself asking from time to time whether or not the offensive issues on cleveland were due to al roker not knowing what he was doing, or lebron demanding that he had the ball in his hands at all times. i suppose, depending on where he ends up, we'll find out the answer to that question; but the jury is still out on whether or not lebron can put aside his ego just ebough to buy into a coach's system.

So, there are now reports that Chicago and Washington have agreed in principle to a deal(that can't be commenced yet) to trade Hinrich and Chicago's #17 pick tonight to Washington; what Chicago gets back is not known exactly, but probably just Washington's pick. If this goes down, Chicago will have two max slots.

I've always really liked Kirk but, hell, that sounds good to me. The Bullets have the 30th and 35th pick, I wonder which one we'll get.

And then we can just go out and swoop up Lebron and Bosh right quick.

I've always really liked Kirk but, hell, that sounds good to me. The Bullets have the 30th and 35th pick, I wonder which one we'll get.

And then we can just go out and swoop up Lebron and Bosh right quick.

Actually, I stand corrected...even after this trade, Chicago is still a little under two max slots...more trades will have to happen for that. Perhaps Deng will still be dumped as well. Or James Johnson and/or Taj Gibson.

Or the Bulls could have LeBron+Joe Johnson/Carlos Boozer/other non-max guy as their goal.

There's a big Deng for Gortat/Pietrus rumor floating about, as well as the Paul for Carter/Nelson thing. I'm sold on both.

So is Chris Paul being shopped again? That would make at least three changes of heart on the part of the Hornets' management in the last few days.

There's also a lot of buzz around Cleveland the last few days saying that the Cavs might give up Varejao, Hickson, and Delonte for Chris Bosh and one other as-yet-undetermined Raptor. The odds of that happening seem infinitesimally small to me. Bosh will land with the Lakers, I think.

Bosh, a guy who just today said he should be the cornerstone of a franchise, in LA? Nah.

Yep, Bulls bent the Bullets over on that one.

I've got a feeling Miami and Chicago might end up the winners in all this, with the Knicks, Nets, and (of course) Cavs the big losers.

I'm also oddly excited by the Harangody pick, the guy's always scored, I can see him being successful especially seeing mostly other teams' second units.

I've got a feeling that this free agency extravaganza is going to end up being extremely anti-climactic. The top-tier guys (LeBron, Wade, Dirk, and A'mare) are all going to stay put, I think. The biggest prize will probably be Carmelo next year rather than Bosh or Johnson this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom