2010 NBA Finals and beyond - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Re: announcers:

I'd always keep the door open for Walton if he's ever up to coming back.

I know some of you don't like him, but I might ask Bill Simmons - who's already employed by ESPN - if he'd be interested in some on-air commentary, in that third-man-in-a-three-man-crew role.
He's done some color work for ESPNU and it was an unmitigated disaster....and I don't say this cos of my bias against his writing, he was just atrocious. His voice is wretched.

I hated Walton when everyone liked him, then when I started to appreciate him, everyone started to hate on him.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #137
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Seconded on Simmons, and I'm generally a fan of his, too.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Ditto. I wouldn't be able to stand Simmons' treble-only voice doing color even though I'm a rare non-detractor.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Are you surprised at my tears, sir? Strong men also cry.

YouTube - Derek Fisher Crying 2010 NBA Finals Lakers vs Celtics [Game 3]
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 AM
0 for 13, that pretty much sums it up.
Nice work from the bench to claw back, maybe Doc should have finished the game with the other Allen on the floor and kept Shuttlesworth on the pine.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

I was a bit surprised that they even came back, considering how Allen and Pierce were shooting.

Three games in, and the Celtics really haven't clicked yet.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Three games in, and the Celtics really haven't clicked yet.
Each game they've had at least 2 key players be largely ineffective (KG and Allen game 1, KG and Pierce game 2, Pierce and Allen game 3). Credit to the Lakers D, but hopefully the Celts can figure out how to get everyone playing well for the next few games.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #143
45:33

Local Time: 03:48 AM
well Laz's stats say it's all over Lakers win
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #144
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if mccutchen or callahan is on game 2, bet the celtics hard. salvatore or bavetta? go lakers.
adding in joey crawford for game 1... donaghy theory is 3 for 3 in picking games.

watch for a loose whistle in the first quarter of game 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
If you were the EP over at ABC/ESPN, who would you hire to replace them?
breen and van gundy can stay, although i'd love to see marv albert brought back to do the finals. he just belongs on the NBA finals... much like he belongs donig Knick games. ironicly enough, Breen currently does both.

mark jackson is awful. he uses his platform to politic for a fucking coaching job that nobody wants to give him. it's amazing how often van gundy will make a solid, valid coaching point only to have mark jackson counter him, as if he has any right to counter what van gundy is saying.

they need to go back to a two man crew for now until they can find another player who isn't as dry and full of himself as jackson is. i'd love to see hubie brought back but they usually don't put two coach types on the same broadcast.

walton is the obvious choice. kenny smith is brutal doing color... they tried it with the knicks; crash and burn. i love clyde frazier but that'll never happen. honestly, i wouldn't mind them bringing back tommy heinson. he'd be informative and entertaining... but would probably be too much of a celtic homer. if shaq retires he'd be the guy i'd go after instantly... he actually does a decent job of it from what i've heard so it would be worth a shot. there's gotta be a decent former player out there doing color... just gotta find him and give him a shot. jackson has to go.

tom tolbert, hello?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Each game they've had at least 2 key players be largely ineffective (KG and Allen game 1, KG and Pierce game 2, Pierce and Allen game 3). Credit to the Lakers D, but hopefully the Celts can figure out how to get everyone playing well for the next few games.
Yeah the major victory here was the Lakers defense, and while you're right that the Celtics haven't had everyone playing well at the same time, one could say a similar thing about the Lakers. Odom didn't show up until last night, and yet Kobe struggled (despite the 29 points). Artest's performances can't be judged simply on his stat lines, but he only put up 2 points, which really isn't enough. Though at least he only took a handful of shots.

It would be nice to see a Finals series where each team is playing the way we know they can, and putting everything on the line each game. Not very realistic, I guess, especially when the refs are calling it so tight and it's hard for either team to get into a good rhythm. One still has to call it an exciting contest, though, as two of the three games weren't decided until the final minutes.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
adding in joey crawford for game 1... donaghy theory is 3 for 3 in picking games.

watch for a loose whistle in the first quarter of game 4.

breen and van gundy can stay, although i'd love to see marv albert brought back to do the finals. he just belongs on the NBA finals... much like he belongs donig Knick games. ironicly enough, Breen currently does both.

mark jackson is awful. he uses his platform to politic for a fucking coaching job that nobody wants to give him. it's amazing how often van gundy will make a solid, valid coaching point only to have mark jackson counter him, as if he has any right to counter what van gundy is saying.

they need to go back to a two man crew for now until they can find another player who isn't as dry and full of himself as jackson is. i'd love to see hubie brought back but they usually don't put two coach types on the same broadcast.

walton is the obvious choice. kenny smith is brutal doing color... they tried it with the knicks; crash and burn. i love clyde frazier but that'll never happen. honestly, i wouldn't mind them bringing back tommy heinson. he'd be informative and entertaining... but would probably be too much of a celtic homer. if shaq retires he'd be the guy i'd go after instantly... he actually does a decent job of it from what i've heard so it would be worth a shot. there's gotta be a decent former player out there doing color... just gotta find him and give him a shot. jackson has to go.

tom tolbert, hello?
I hate the Dolans so bad, for so many reasons. Marv not doing Knick games is a fucking travesty.

I have failed to mention that I actually like Van Gundy. Sometimes he goes too far out of his way to make a joke, but whne he keeps it organic he's informative and amusing and very honest. Jackson has become a bit of a buffoon, sadly. I thought he did good work at first.

Heinson's voice drives me berserk and he's, understandably so, quite biased.

I wonder how C-Webb would fare as a color guy. I like him in the studio, not sure how others feel.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor

webber isn't a terrible choice... i like it.

he can be especialy insightful about timeouts
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Tim Donaghy On Game 3: Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Worse ...
Old 06-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
webber isn't a terrible choice... i like it.

he can be especialy insightful about timeouts
Zing-a-ling.

I like him cos he's a pretty smart guy and willing to speak his mind. Not sure that he's gonna break the game down like Hubie Brown or anything, but still.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

If you add up all of his missed or wrong calls, it comes out pretty even. Doesn't look like either team was getting a noticeable benefit from these mistakes.