2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2 - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #511
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,008
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
People used to regularly toss the word nigger around like it was no big deal either.

Faggot is a word that is full of hate. Kobe, or anyone else, should be suspended for using it. That so many people don't see an issue with the use of the word is sad. I fully understand that highly competitive people can say some terrible things that they don't necessarily mean.
I agree that it's a loaded term, Headache, but do you not think there's a difference between casually calling a black person a nigger because you have a disregard for human dignity, and calling a straight person a faggot out of anger?

Both are insensitive, but only one is hate-driven and I think a suspension is a bit much.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #512
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,386
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I agree that it's a loaded term, Headache, but do you not think there's a difference between casually calling a black person a nigger because you have a disregard for human dignity, and calling a straight person a faggot out of anger?

Both are insensitive, but only one is hate-driven and I think a suspension is a bit much.
Are you white? If so, you're a nigg**.

Now it's okay? No.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #513
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I would say that those terms are all very similar in the sense that they reflect entrenched, almost subconscious animosity toward certain demographics. You can call someone a "pussy" without being an overt misogynist, but the essential meaning of the term is still rooted in an underlying culture of female subordination. The same goes for derogatory terms for homosexuals.
What about "dick"?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #514
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,008
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Are you white? If so, you're a nigg**.

Now it's okay? No.
So is it okay for black people to call each other niggers? Or for gay men to call each other faggot? Because it's still pretty damned prevalent.
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #515
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,386
Local Time: 12:55 PM
I don't see how that was any bit of your point.

Also, I think even the slightest 'nigga' is not nearly the same thing as 'nigg**'. Similar to 'fag', although I'd argue that 'fag' is worse than 'nigga' is.

In fact, I have no problem with people saying 'nigga'. It's almost like 'freaking' versus 'fucking'. The origin is there, and phonetically it sounds the same, but they have two different meanings.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #516
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,008
Local Time: 09:55 AM
It isn't always said as "nigga".

So basically, any word is okay to say as long as you represent the group it's supposedly a slur against?

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that. You don't see Jews walking around calling each other kikes.
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #517
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 12:55 PM
I hate this conversation because I'm the first one to defend comedians for use of all sorts of crude language. I can see a context in which any word can be used.

But again... to use the word faggot as an insult to describe someone as being soft, a pussy, anything less than a man? I can't agree with that, and I find that its use is very prevalent in the black community to be incredibly hypocritical.

This should really be in FYM.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #518
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
You don't see Jews walking around calling each other kikes.
Actually I've seen just that on multiple occasions. If there were ever a group of people comfortable enough in their own skin to joke and be self deprecating towards themselves it's the Jews.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM   #519
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,448
Local Time: 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
So basically, any word is okay to say as long as you represent the group it's supposedly a slur against?

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that.
I don't know if you are familiar with Dan Savage - he is a prominent gay-rights advocate and sex advice columnist. When he began his column, he entitled it "Hey F*****" under the reasoning that, if the gay community began absorbing the term, it would effectively eliminate the ability of homophobes to use it as a derogatory term. The response from the gay community was mixed, but it was, I think, an innovative way of dealing with homophobia.
__________________
iron yuppie is online now  
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
catlhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,664
Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
But again... to use the word faggot as an insult to describe someone as being soft, a pussy, anything less than a man?
I didn't get the impression at all that Kobe was using the word in that context whatsoever. Seemed to me he was just picking a word to call Benny that he felt was strong enough to show how pissed he was at the (in his opinion) poor officiating. Awful decision, but not rooted in any homosexual connotation, unless I missed something while I watched that game.
__________________
catlhere is offline  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #521
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,386
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It isn't always said as "nigga".

So basically, any word is okay to say as long as you represent the group it's supposedly a slur against?

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that. You don't see Jews walking around calling each other kikes.
When did I say that? When did I even suggest that?

There's no doubt that the word 'nigga' has gained it's own meaning based directly off the word 'nigg**'. However, I see nowhere where I suggested that anyone should be saying 'nigg**' or 'fag***''.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #522
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Can we talk basketball now? My head hurts.

I'm sure if someone wanted to make a post on this very issue in FYM it will be 50 pages by the end of the week.

So yea... playoffs!
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #523
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,386
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
So yea... playoffs!
Miami Heatles.


Just to get the pot stirring. /flame away
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
catlhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,664
Local Time: 10:55 AM
The glorifying of Rose from the announcers is getting old already and it's only 1 game into the playoffs. Plus the apparent shock that comes to the commentators when the Pacers actually make a bucket. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to any Indiana fans watching.
__________________
catlhere is offline  
Old 04-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #525
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,460
Local Time: 12:55 PM
Don't fuck with psycho T
__________________

__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com