2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2 - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #496
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:58 AM
The irony is that Kobe and other players earlier in the day were taping some NBA public service announcement called "Think Before You Speak" about using insensitive name-calling.

LOL.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:58 AM
I guess it's just me, but I have intentionally avoided ever throwing around "faggot." It's just not the same as calling someone a pussy or a bitch.

But no matter what your feelings are on this issue, fuck Kobe.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #498
45:33

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Stephanie Rice, one of our elite swimmers, got in trouble last year because after we beat the Saffas in the rugby, she posted on twitter, "Go Wallabies! Suck on that faggots!!" And she got belted from pillar to post, lost sponsorship, she even appeared on TV crying saying she didn't mean it the way it was intended, and she quite obviously didn't. She could have picked a much better word, sure, but that was over the top.

Incidentally, there was an article in our paper a few days ago regarding media access in American sports. One of our top journos (he's a douche, but that's besides the point) goes to America during our off-season every year to report on NBA, Superbowl, etc, and he said if you've got an accredited media pass you can walk into changerooms before and after games and speak to whoever the hell you want. Players are forced to be available for media, he said. That's depressing because over here, a club in the AFL might make one player available for comment a month, and there's a list of 15 topics you can't talk about. Over here, negative stories fester and ruin clubs and players because journos aren't allowed to go in, ask what's going on and get it over and done with, so updates appear in the paper every day. If I do become a sports writer, that's going to be incredibly annoying.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #499
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I guess it's just me, but I have intentionally avoided ever throwing around "faggot." It's just not the same as calling someone a pussy or a bitch.
I didn't say it was the same thing, but it's along the same lines. The purpose of using it against someone who isn't (as far as you know) a homosexual is the same.

And the key word you used was "intentionally". When emotions are running high, sometimes unintentional things come out of your mouth.

But I understand there's no gray area for you when it comes to Kobe.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

No, like I have made it a habit never to throw around faggot. I've never said it to anyone. When I get heated, I unintentionally throw words around, but faggot is not one of them.

I'm not judging Kobe for this particular incident, because as you say, there are people who throw it around based on habits from their youth when they didn't know better.

I'm just saying that I, a person who uses liberal amounts of profanity, do not use that word ever.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #501
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Quote:
I would say that those terms are all very similar in the sense that they reflect entrenched, almost subconscious animosity toward certain demographics. You can call someone a "pussy" without being an overt misogynist, but the essential meaning of the term is still rooted in an underlying culture of female subordination. The same goes for derogatory terms for homosexuals.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #502
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Another issue at play here is that Kobe's use of a homophobic term is being treated as some kind of anomaly, but sports culture is still a hyper-masculine, largely homophobic enterprise. To present Kobe as some kind of exception to a culture of tolerance, as some media are, is ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #503
Blue Crack Addict

This discussion is pretty gay.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #504
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #505
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

But no matter what your feelings are on this issue, fuck Kobe.
Specifically 'faggot' separate from 'fag' for myself. I'd personally like to stop saying 'fag' myself, but I refuse to say 'faggot'. It's almost like I'd have to try to say it, it's a disgusting word.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #506
45:33

the worst is when people say faggot, then say, "what? i was calling him a pile of sticks"
Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #507
ONE
love, blood, life

that's because they sound like a child.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #508
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, like I have made it a habit never to throw around faggot. I've never said it to anyone. When I get heated, I unintentionally throw words around, but faggot is not one of them.
And what I'm saying is that Kobe probably makes it a habit as well. You think he sits around watching television or drives around town calling people faggots, even to himself?

People that are fairly intelligent and have been all over the world eventually see enough stuff to get past whatever stereotypes they may have been raised with. And while you personally may be able to control your temper and your words, in this situation, Kobe wasn't. Forgive me for assuming that the level of intensity the most competitive guy in the league is playing with is a bit higher than what you or I are putting out when we're doing something.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor

People used to regularly toss the word nigger around like it was no big deal either.

Faggot is a word that is full of hate. Kobe, or anyone else, should be suspended for using it. That so many people don't see an issue with the use of the word is sad. I fully understand that highly competitive people can say some terrible things that they don't necessarily mean. That's no excuse for this one.

I get that people toss it around like its no big deal, and that people don't think that saying the word makes them homophobic. And I agree that in many cases it doesn't. It makes then uninformed.

Just think about what was just said... you're using a word that is a derogatory term for homosexuals in order to call someone a pussy... nothing against gays though.

Come on...

Eventually society will figure it out.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Does anyone seriously think Kobe is a homophobe or insensitive to the gay community because of this? Come on.

No, I think it was used in the manner you mentioned, I assume it was used similar (but angrier) to this:

YouTube - Spicoli Stu & waves

But I heard someone joke about the situation thus:

"I guess Kobe just doen't like cosensual anal sex."

I Lol'd.