2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2 - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #481
45:33

Local Time: 09:49 AM
$100,000 for calling a ref a faggot!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #482
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:49 PM
shoulda been more... imagine what the outrage would be if a player dropped an N bomb on a ref. he'd be suspended for a long long time.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
shoulda been more... imagine what the outrage would be if a player dropped an N bomb on a ref. he'd be suspended for a long long time.
Exactly what I said. My roommate disputed me, of course. He said, "It's like calling a ref a pussy! 10 or 15,000 no more!" I'm guessing that's what most people say.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #484
Blue Crack Addict

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, that Kobe.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #485
ONE
love, blood, life

I think they should be forcing something other than money out of him, to be honest.

Although for once the fine written up is actually a significant sum of money to the player...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Although for once the fine written up is actually a significant sum of money to the player...
I wouldn't go that far.
Kobe's salary this season is the NBA's highets at $24,806,250.00...so a $100,000.00 fine is about 4 tenths of a percent of his salary.
Its like an average Joe who makes $50,000 a year getting a $200 fine. Not pocket change, but not terribly significant.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #487
ONE
love, blood, life

Well yeah that's true, but regardless of what being chump change is to somebody, $100,000 is indeed a lot of money. I'm sure Kobe wasn't happy to hear that he has to lose $100K. Would you be, even if you made $24 million a year?
They didn't just do the slap-on-the-wrist $10,000 fine or so that [I believe] you see more often, right?

You're right, probably not significant to Kobe, but I mean it's a significant FIGURE of money. Is the 100K deducted from pay during his next games or does Kobe have to pay it up front? Not that he doesn't make that much in a single game alone.

But the reality of it is... wouldn't you think anything over 100K for a fine is absolutely ridiculous, especially for words (however much those words are awful).
Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #488
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:49 PM
When you're a figure as prominent as Kobe Bryant and you're caught by the media calling an official a highly offensive slur, then yeah, 100k seems appropriate.

/Hubie Brown 2nd Person Speech

The league fining Phil Jackson 75k for making a statement about him thinking that there may be a lockout is ludicrous, however.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #489
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus
Mamba. At the buzzer.

Burn in hell, Kings.

* SPOILER *
Did he go out and celebrate with Tim Hardaway after felling the mighty Sacramende Kings?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #490

i don't know how to printscreen and make a jpeg, but at the moment if you type in "what di" in google, the first suggestion is "what did kobe say"
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #491
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i don't know how to printscreen and make a jpeg, but at the moment if you type in "what di" in google, the first suggestion is "what did kobe say"

For future reference: Just click your print screen button on the top right of your keyboard, and go to paint and paste (ctrl + v) and crop it. If you specifically want a .jpeg just Save As and change the file type to .jpeg. Paint should be standard for .bmp.

And that is quite funny lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
$100,000 for calling a ref a faggot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Exactly what I said. My roommate disputed me, of course. He said, "It's like calling a ref a pussy! 10 or 15,000 no more!" I'm guessing that's what most people say.
I listened to a long talk radio program about this today on NPR. A lot of insightful callers as well as the host hashed this out pretty well.

What Peef's roommate said last is essentially how I feel, aside from the amount of the fine. There's a difference between a player making a clearly personal remark about a ref and just lashing out with some random comment (Roberto Alomar talking about that umpire's sick kid, for example). If a white player called some black referee a nigger a larger outrage would be totally valid and understandable.

As for what Kobe did...you know, people grow up saying this kind of stuff on the playground because it's an attack on masculinity and used to demean an opponent. There's only a matter of degrees between "bitch", "pussy", and "fag". Not just athletes. I can't imagine how many times I must have said or heard faggot or fag when I was a kid. As an adult, you know better to avoid certain loaded phrases, but when you're really pissed off you can instinctively revert to something stronger and off-color Does anyone seriously think Kobe is a homophobe or insensitive to the gay community because of this? Come on.

I think the fine is appropriate, however, because I think using any kind of strong language against an official should be dealt with seriously. And that'ds what people should be talking about, that the guy who is a superstar and highly paid thinks he can just talk to a ref like that. But in terms of classifying this as some kind of hate crime, no fucking way.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #493

I was surprised by the amount, it seems excessive, that was my first reaction... but he does earn that much in five minutes and it's important to make a statement/set a precedent I spose.

But in the heat of the moment, I definitely agree that it's really no different to saying bitch, pussy, idiot, whatever.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #494
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That's what people don't get. You can absolutely call someone a fag without being a homophobe. And on top of that, after that photo of him in the pilgrim hat and shawl from last year, you just know Kobe's got nothing against the gays.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #495
ONE
love, blood, life

No I don't think Kobe is a homophobe. Which is why he came out and addressed that. Everything went perfectly according to how it should have in regards to his punishment.