2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People used to regularly toss the word ****** around like it was no big deal either.

Faggot is a word that is full of hate. Kobe, or anyone else, should be suspended for using it. That so many people don't see an issue with the use of the word is sad. I fully understand that highly competitive people can say some terrible things that they don't necessarily mean.

I agree that it's a loaded term, Headache, but do you not think there's a difference between casually calling a black person a ****** because you have a disregard for human dignity, and calling a straight person a faggot out of anger?

Both are insensitive, but only one is hate-driven and I think a suspension is a bit much.

I agree that it's a loaded term, Headache, but do you not think there's a difference between casually calling a black person a ****** because you have a disregard for human dignity, and calling a straight person a faggot out of anger?

Both are insensitive, but only one is hate-driven and I think a suspension is a bit much.

Are you white? If so, you're a nigg**.

Now it's okay? No.

I would say that those terms are all very similar in the sense that they reflect entrenched, almost subconscious animosity toward certain demographics. You can call someone a "pussy" without being an overt misogynist, but the essential meaning of the term is still rooted in an underlying culture of female subordination. The same goes for derogatory terms for homosexuals.

What about "dick"?

I don't see how that was any bit of your point.

Also, I think even the slightest 'nigga' is not nearly the same thing as 'nigg**'. Similar to 'fag', although I'd argue that 'fag' is worse than 'nigga' is.

In fact, I have no problem with people saying 'nigga'. It's almost like 'freaking' versus 'fucking'. The origin is there, and phonetically it sounds the same, but they have two different meanings.

It isn't always said as "nigga".

So basically, any word is okay to say as long as you represent the group it's supposedly a slur against?

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that. You don't see Jews walking around calling each other kikes.

I hate this conversation because I'm the first one to defend comedians for use of all sorts of crude language. I can see a context in which any word can be used.

But again... to use the word faggot as an insult to describe someone as being soft, a pussy, anything less than a man? I can't agree with that, and I find that its use is very prevalent in the black community to be incredibly hypocritical.

This should really be in FYM.

So basically, any word is okay to say as long as you represent the group it's supposedly a slur against?

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that.

I don't know if you are familiar with Dan Savage - he is a prominent gay-rights advocate and sex advice columnist. When he began his column, he entitled it "Hey F*****" under the reasoning that, if the gay community began absorbing the term, it would effectively eliminate the ability of homophobes to use it as a derogatory term. The response from the gay community was mixed, but it was, I think, an innovative way of dealing with homophobia.

But again... to use the word faggot as an insult to describe someone as being soft, a pussy, anything less than a man?

I didn't get the impression at all that Kobe was using the word in that context whatsoever. Seemed to me he was just picking a word to call Benny that he felt was strong enough to show how pissed he was at the (in his opinion) poor officiating. Awful decision, but not rooted in any homosexual connotation, unless I missed something while I watched that game.

It isn't always said as "nigga".

I've always felt that argument was bullshit. If the word is offensive, then everyone should stop saying that. You don't see Jews walking around calling each other kikes.

When did I say that? When did I even suggest that?

There's no doubt that the word 'nigga' has gained it's own meaning based directly off the word 'nigg**'. However, I see nowhere where I suggested that anyone should be saying 'nigg**' or 'fag***''.

The glorifying of Rose from the announcers is getting old already and it's only 1 game into the playoffs. Plus the apparent shock that comes to the commentators when the Pacers actually make a bucket. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to any Indiana fans watching.

I'm excited to see how my Sixers do against the Heat. My expectations are not sky high but I am happy to see Philly back in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Psycho T is out of it.

And, yes, you'd think Rose was Brett Favre the way the broadcasters are gushing at every opportunity.

How's this for interland loyalty: I'm rooting for the Bulls just so GAF and Philbert will be happy. I love you both. Sniff.

Oh, and, Shannon, congrats on finally getting back to the playoffs. The NBA is more interesting when the Knicks are winning.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the foul hansbrough put on rose. Fuck long dong.

That T woke the team up finally. We played pretty bad all game, and Indy was hitting everything. That one play sparked the run we made in the last 2-3 minutes.

Also, Rose played like an MVP. I was ready to be depressed after a game 1 loss, but Derrick wasn't having it, dishing it to Joakim a couple times, finding Korver open, getting to the line at will, etc.

BTW, I'm rooting for your Knicks vs the Celtics.

I really didn't like the technical foul call, but I almost felt as though Deng responded with a taunting manner once the free throw was missed.

He wasn't taunting anybody, he was making gestures to his own crowd to get it pumped up.

Yeah but he was absolutely pissed off about the T that was called on him (rightfully so). But his pumping up the crowd was almost a 'screw you' to the refs, right after the free throw was missed.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom