2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Apparently you're not watching the big men.
I see the Bosh play. I see the Deng play. The various different attempts to force contact for a whistle instead of playing the game. It's ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #212
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:19 PM
To a certain extent, trying to draw contact for a whistle is playing the game. Not my favorite part, but hey. Besides, for every flop I'll give you 10 possessions where the bigs are banging around (heh) down there without a call.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's great for our community how the Heat's foibles seem to come against teams well represented here in the forum. Boston owns them, Chicago made them cry, Dallas sent them to a players only meeting, Orlando made a huge lead evaporate, and Amare swatted the shit out of LeBitch during winning time.

YES WE DID
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #214
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

You could throw the Spurs on there for U2@NYC, but he doesn't come around until playoff time. Go figure.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
It's great for our community how the Heat's foibles seem to come against teams well represented here in the forum. Boston owns them, Chicago made them cry, Dallas sent them to a players only meeting, Orlando made a huge lead evaporate, and Amare swatted the shit out of LeBitch during winning time.

YES WE DID
The Sixers are 0-2 against them but play them in Miami again on the 25th. If only...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:19 PM
I think we're all being a little hard on the Heatles. You can't expect to throw 3 star players together like that and expect them to click overnight, roll through the league, and win the championship. It takes time...
Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7

Zero contact. You break wind with someone in your vicinity and it's a foul. It gets ridiculous at some points.
Set foot on the court and tell me there's zero contact. There's more contact on every single possession than you could possibly imagine, and obviously in spots that you would never see nor even know where to look.

A soft man's game? Perhaps you suffer from a similar ailment as your beloved lebron... you don't understand that there's a game going on off the ball.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #218
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Set foot on the court and tell me there's zero contact. There's more contact on every single possession than you could possibly imagine, and obviously in spots that you would never see nor even know where to look.

A soft man's game? Perhaps you suffer from a similar ailment as your beloved lebron... you don't understand that there's a game going on off the ball.
First off, I was referring to the ball carrier alone and specifically in regards to foul calls. Not what's going on as a whole. If that came off negatively, didn't mean it that way.

Second off, granted I'd play with people my own size, I play hockey. A little bit more than boxing out goes on there.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

As someone who has sprained the arch of his foot (via a big man falling on it and bending it the wrong way), gotten whiplash and broken three fingers and a toe playing basketball ... it's definitely a contact sport.

And I'm a 5'7", 135 pound point guard.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #220
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
First off, I was referring to the ball carrier alone and specifically in regards to foul calls. Not what's going on as a whole. If that came off negatively, didn't mean it that way.

Second off, granted I'd play with people my own size, I play hockey. A little bit more than boxing out goes on there.
You've also got plenty of padding in hockey. No padding in basketball. And there's a little bit more than boxing out going on in basketball, too.

And, damn peef. I've had my share of bruises, sprained ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, but no broken digits - and I'm usually playing center.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've rolled my ankles and broken a toe running the point, but that's been the extent of it aside from your typical bumps and bruises. Also played a lot of SG despite a point guard's 6'0" 180 pound body, but even crashing the boards and drawing contact, I never got too seriously hurt. I've also never cried after a game, for what it's worth.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #222
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, and I've also gotten a sprained ankle playing basketball. Doesn't make it a contact sport. Someone falling on you is coincidental.

I'm really not going to debate this if you're trying to say 'hockey players have pads and basketball players don't'. That's ridiculous. Take a puck off a skate. Or your shin. Or your pants. Or your glove. Or god forbid your forearm. Or your chest. Or your face (if you're not wearing a cage).

Try getting laid out on your back and getting the wind knocked out of you. Or having somebody coming full speed at you to legally knock you down.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue of 'keeping your head up' in basketball for your own safety. You're talking about bruises and sprains... in hockey you're talking about broken limbs, gashes, etc. You've had your fair share of bumps and bruises congratulations. I've had a concussion and a fractured collar bone, among other small things like bruises small cuts, a bloody mouth, nose, puck to the nuts (even with a cup it's extremely painful), stick to the head, blah blah blah.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

The most amazing feat of my basketball career? I've never gotten a technical. As you all know, I'm a know-it-all and an ass, so that's quite the accomplishment. I've been warned a couple times and I almost got kicked out of a high school game that I was watching from the stands, but I've never gotten a T.

I should have gotten a T last year in intramural, when a guy broke my finger and I ran up to the ref, held up my crooked finger and called him a blind fuck.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Yes, and I've also gotten a sprained ankle playing basketball. Doesn't make it a contact sport. Someone falling on you is coincidental.

I'm really not going to debate this if you're trying to say 'hockey players have pads and basketball players don't'. That's ridiculous. Take a puck off a skate. Or your shin. Or your pants. Or your glove. Or god forbid your forearm. Or your chest. Or your face (if you're not wearing a cage).

Try getting laid out on your back and getting the wind knocked out of you. Or having somebody coming full speed at you to legally knock you down.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue of 'keeping your head up' in basketball for your own safety. You're talking about bruises and sprains... in hockey you're talking about broken limbs, gashes, etc. You've had your fair share of bumps and bruises congratulations. I've had a concussion and a fractured collar bone, among other small things like bruises small cuts, a bloody mouth, nose, puck to the nuts (even with a cup it's extremely painful), stick to the head, blah blah blah.
Just because hockey is a contact sport doesn't mean basketball is not a contact sport.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Whatever, my point is that it gets ridiculous when you're blowing the whistle left and right for simply touching an opposing player. Many forms of direct contact are against the rules.

You're right, it's not non-contact. It's non-collision. And minimal contact. But honestly, bringing up padding in hockey is ridiculous.