2009 Australian Open Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I don't have an issue with any of the players...no single tennis player has ever annoyed me in anyway that I can think of...I never liked Sampras mind, respected him, just didn't seem to have much of a personality.

I reckon if it is a Fed vs Nadal final...Fed will win...with Nadal its always a progression so if he loses this year I fully expect him to win it next, he just keeps improving which is something I really admire.

Didn't hear any hype?? Other than he had gotten a bit better...

I like Andy I think he's a cool honest bloke:up:

This Nadal v Verdasco match is wrecking my nerves.

Quality match, that. Amazing tennis. Loved that bit at the end when Nadal went round the net to hug Verdasco as well, top class. Wonder how much he's got left in the tank against Fed on Sunday though.

If there is anyone who can go into another match with only a days rest after that epic...it will be Nadal....I think it may have played him into some excellent form as well.

Some of the shots in that were unreal...especially the one where Nadal fell and still managed to win the point. Amazing stuff.

Nadal only made 25 unforced errors in the whole of the match, that is a scary statistic.

^^ That's unreal. :ohmy: And to think that Verdasco almost got him (shame, I was hoping that he would). That guy was fearless with his big shots, no matter what the situation he was going for it.. made for an incredible match.. I wonder who most Spaniards were rooting for?

I think that the media was being too harsh on Djokovic, the heat down here in Melbourne is crippling even without stepping out onto a simmering court.

Can't say that I've been following the women's side too closely since Dokic left but I'm hoping that Safina can get up today.

Wow, that womens final between Williams and Safina went like a flash, no contest really.

Yeah it sucked. I hope that the doubles afterwards was a decent match, for the sake of the folks who paid for finals seats. :|

Safina looked so out of sorts out there and it wasn't all due to Williams' dominance. She just kept slugging away and making unforced errors rather than try something different, eg. change up the pace, keep the ball in play for longer rallies without always trying to hit big shots. I know that she's only young, but for the entire match she looked like a submissive puppy, and young or old the champion players never get rolled like that... Hm OK maybe the old ones do occasionally, long after they should have retired. Or if they're physically spent. God I hope Nadal doesn't get rolled in three... I reckon it's pretty unfair that the folks playing the 2nd semi get much less (a day less) recovery time.

5 HOURS! :ohmy:

What an amazing match.

it was well worth staying awake for . . . I wore out a patch of carpet from all the pacing :lol: . . . so nervewracking and I felt really bad for Verdasco . . . but, its great to have another exciting player to look forward to eh??

Wow, that womens final between Williams and Safina went like a flash, no contest really.

:yawn: . . . just another day at the office for Ms Williams . . . Safina was pretty gracious about it though . . . liked her "I was just a ball boy out there" comment :)

Hope the Fed/Nadal game isn't a one sided affair . . .

No! :doh:

Federer's Grand Slam dream is drifting further from his grasp. How could he surrender all those critical break points in the third set? Unbelievable. I'm quite shattered.

shame the final set turned out to be a wet squib, but the match overall was pulsating.

Fed now lost the mental battle with Nad. I can't see winning another slam while ever he needs to play nad.

Holy shit, Rafa is some sort of tennis God. :bow:

The reaction of Federer at the end was really sad. Like that of a guy who knew that tonight was a gauge of where he really stands, and for him it's no longer number one. I agree that the mental scarring against Nadal could be too much to overcome now.

Congrats to Rafa though, what an incredible effort. As if the Latinos needed even more people harping on about their endurance though.. :rolleyes: ;)

It was a great match until the fifth set, when Federer fell apart.

I think Nadal's the best I've ever seen. With 6 Grand Slam wins at age 22, he's on pace to beat Sampras' (or Federer's) all-time record. They showed a graphic during the match that had Federer with 2 Grand Slam wins at the same age.

He also owns Federer, at 13-6 in the head to head matchup.

They're both great players and great guys, and Federer-Nadal is one of the best things going in sports these days.

Nadal is also now on course to be the first player since Laver to get all four slams...The French is his, Wimbledon potentially again, he just needs to step up in the US open.

I'm very surprised, and pleased, by this outcome. Congrats to Rafa. I wish I had stayed up and watched the match. Oh well.

I'm very surprised, and pleased, by this outcome. Congrats to Rafa. I wish I had stayed up and watched the match. Oh well.

ESPN2 is airing it tonight. Of course the superbowl is tonight, but, you could tivo the match and watch it later.

Also, YES!!!!!! I love Nadal, and I want it to take as long as possible for Federer to break Sampras's record. I would rather have Nadal do it.

You could probably look at it as the official changing of the guard...as Nadal has now beat Fed across every surface Fed was considered superior on.

Now we wait till the French. :(

Its disappointing when the Aus Open finishes.

Now we wait till the French. :(

Its disappointing when the Aus Open finishes.

It's always separated from the rest of the major tennis season because it's summer down there in January. Oh well. Here's to Nadal winning another French, and taking Wimbledon and the U.S. Open as well to complete the grand slam, and here's to Nadal having more titles than Federer when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom