2009-2010 College Basketball Season...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i started with st marys/baylor but cbs moved me over with 5 minutes to go in the first half

tennessee 68 - ohio state 63

3 minutes, 50 seconds until i win my bracket pool

congrats to the butler bulldogs

have a late appointment at the red cross. hope to hear the uk/wvu game on radio.

Kentucky has been absolutely atrocious in a half-court offense for the last two games. Were these guys really #1 for a good chunk of the season?

What a tense, killer game. At least I can come out and say it was a good game... because my team won. :D

Izzo yelled away his voice though.

Big props to MSU for making it without Lucas.

And how exacty does Acy get a Tech in that exchange but Scheyer flails his elbow at 2 Bears and nothing gets called on him?

Scheyer deserved a T there, but Baylor lost the game well before that -- that had to be one of the least disciplined 5 minutes of basketball I've ever seen a team play.

with duke winning, i have won all the points i can possibly win and nobody can catch me

thank you cornell and tennessee

standingsbz.jpg

the over/under on how many times i will play 'we are the champions' in the office tomorrow: 300

I have to agree. They came apart at the seams. Amongst other things, they completely stopped blocking out.
I have a buddy who knows very little about basketball who texted me to say, "Man, this team [Duke] gets a lot of rebounds off their own shots" (since the term "offensive rebound" means nothing to him). So, yeah, there was very little boxing out going on.

Big props to MSU for making it without Lucas.

And how exacty does Acy get a Tech in that exchange but Scheyer flails his elbow at 2 Bears and nothing gets called on him?

very easy... scheyer's throwing of his elbows was directly involved in the play. he was protecting the ball as the foul wasn't called the first time he got smacked. it may not neccesarily be 100% legal, but it's a common practice and is not T worthy at all.

whereas a dude walking from half way across teh court to bump someone and get in their face? that's a T, easy.

there's no duke/ref conspiracy on that play. there would have been no T's on anyone up until Acy walked half way across teh court to bump someone.

very easy... scheyer's throwing of his elbows was directly involved in the play. he was protecting the ball as the foul wasn't called the first time he got smacked. it may not neccesarily be 100% legal, but it's a common practice and is not T worthy at all.

whereas a dude walking from half way across teh court to bump someone and get in their face? that's a T, easy.

there's no duke/ref conspiracy on that play. there would have been no T's on anyone up until Acy walked half way across teh court to bump someone.

Not buying it. He swung the elbow quite violently, after the ref granted the timeout. And for them to go to replay then assess the T to Acy, but ignore the elbow smells too funny.

:shrug: you're certainly entitled to your opinion... but in my eyes the only person deserving of a T is the dude who wasn't even involved in the play running 20 feet to bump someone.

the play was over, the foul was called, players were walking away with no T's for any team... then Acy comes running over and bumps someone. that's the T.

what the ref's went to the monitor for was likely more to see if any punches were thrown and/or anyone left the bench area, both of which would result in an automatic ejection... both of which are reviewable.

if Acy never would have come over, all that would have happened was the time out. no foul on either team.

also, scheyer never made contact with his elbow's. by rule the only thing the refs could call in that situation is a violation, not even a foul.

lavin will probably have some success, but then again, jarvis had some success...

he was a good coach but he's been out of the game for a while, and a LOT has changed in basketball since he last was on the recruiting trail.

he'll need to bring in some good assistants with new york roots, but i've always said that whoever gets that job needs to have the ability to recruit from beyond new york... as nobody's getting the kids to stay home as much as they used to, unless they're doing it by shady means...

the johnnies haven't been close to being good since jarvis was there, and jarvis got players by shady means...

little known fact... back when st. john's hired jarvis, they were negotiating two contracts at once... jarvis was their first choice, but they had a backup choice in a hotel room in new york just in case jarvis backed out at the last second.

jarvis agreed to the deal, the backup choice went home. the backup choice was bob mckillop.

oops.

lavin will probably have some success, but then again, jarvis had some success...

he was a good coach but he's been out of the game for a while, and a LOT has changed in basketball since he last was on the recruiting trail.

he'll need to bring in some good assistants with new york roots, but i've always said that whoever gets that job needs to have the ability to recruit from beyond new york... as nobody's getting the kids to stay home as much as they used to, unless they're doing it by shady means...

the johnnies haven't been close to being good since jarvis was there, and jarvis got players by shady means...

little known fact... back when st. john's hired jarvis, they were negotiating two contracts at once... jarvis was their first choice, but they had a backup choice in a hotel room in new york just in case jarvis backed out at the last second.

jarvis agreed to the deal, the backup choice went home. the backup choice was bob mckillop.

oops.

I agree with everything you say re: Lavin, needing strong assistants, etc. In fact, Lavin was quoted yesterday as saying that he wanted strong assistants with NYC ties, etc.

Didn't know about that McKillop bit of info, interesting.

I'm still bitter about replacing Carnesecca with Brian Mahoney.

yea knowing bob mckillop trivia is sorta a prerequisite for working at lutheran...

my first summer working here he would still come back up from davidson to run a 1 week basketball camp here at the end of the summer... i was still in high school. at the end of the session he always had a big staff game... the old guys vs. the young guys. i was obviously on the young guys team and ended up matched up against mckillop... was doing pretty well... hit a few shots and was guarding him pretty well... wasn't letting him get open at all.

so he takes me down to the baseline... i'm expecting him to rub me off a screen so i'm getting a little closer to him. dude elbowed me right in the chin, ran to the circle and drained a three. still the hardest elbow i've ever taken in my life :hi5:

back to the coaching carousel here in the NYC the past few days...

it appears as if every D1 job in the area is or has been open this week. at least all the ones that matter (or at least thing they do).

Seton Hall is a big winner by bringing in young Willard to replace that nut job Gonzo. He'll recruit the area and he'll do better with the talent that they already have, and he'll clean that place up.

Hofstra was also a big winner by bringing Welsh in (and paying him more than they payed Pecora). Welsh did a great job at Providence and simply ran into a conference that got too big too quick. Providence never should have fired him in the first place. He'll do very well at Hofstra, who's got a lot of talent returning.

St. John's is a wait and see... i really don't know how Lavin's going to do, 7 years removed from the job. He was never a great game or practice coach to begin with... he was just a tremendous recruiter. The recruiting game has changed exponentialy in the past 7 years... will be interesting to see if he still has it.

Fordham and Tom Pecora seem to be the big losers in all of this... what else is new... and I'm not just saying that 'cause a friend of mine was the interim head coach and is now unemployed.

Pecora leaves Hofstra, where he couldn't get them to the tournament in the CAA (even though they should have gone the year George Mason made it to the final four), and now goes up to the much harder A-10? With better coaches/recruiters now in place at Seton Hall, St. John's, and yes, even Hofstra? On top of it, Hofstra gave Welsh more money than Pecora was getting. Ha.

Just to show that burning bridges can come back to bite you in the ass... there was this guy, Joe Lods, who was a grad assistant at Hofstra a few years back. Pecora pretty much treated him like crap... his major responsibilites was going to pick up TP's dry cleaning.

To be fair, a lot of coaches treat their grad assistints like this. Call it the Pitino way.

Anyhoo... all these years later, Pecora is now at Fordham. One of Fordham's top incoming recruits before Pecora got the job has already backed out of his committment after the Pecora signing.

The kid is from Cardinal Hayes in the Bronx. The head coach at Cardinal Hayes? Joe Lods. Oops.

Back
Top Bottom