Your Favorite Music of the First Half of 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Everyone share your favs. Albums, songs, music videos, lists, no lists, whatevs. Bring it. Bring it hard. Bring it old school. Bring it tween wave. Steamy Ray Vaughn 4 lief.

A little drunk and not the best at the whole memory thing right now, so I'm not even too sure what has been released this year already. But...

Radiohead
Panda Bear
Fleet Foxes
Lykke Li
PJ Harvey

probably put out my favorite albums this year, respectively off the top of my head.

YouTube - ‪Radiohead - Lotus Flower‬‏

And easily the best video.

Arctic Monkeys' Suck It And See is pretty easily my favorite piece of music from this year. Just wonderful.

Other albums I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

TV On The Radio - Nine Types of Light
R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now
Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs
Radiohead - King of Limbs
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
The Decemberists - The King is Dead
Okkervil River - I Am Very Far
Alex Turner - Submarine

Biggest disappointment of the year would have to be The Strokes' Angles, although I do love about four or five tracks, it pales in comparison to the rest of the band's output. Oh, well. Gaga's album was another disappointment, because it pretty much sucks. But this is about stuff we like, so when it comes to the pop music, I've enjoyed some tracks by Florrie and am really happy with Nicola's debut solo single.

There are some other albums that have come out that I think can sneak onto the list, I just need to give them more listens. I'm forgetting some stuff I'm sure, but I'm thinking of things like Cults, PJ Harvey, the Death Cab and Iron & Wine records.

But, Al Turner and the Monkeys rule it in the '011. So far.

Destroyer's Kaputt, as I'm sure most of you know, is far and away my favourite album this year. Seriously it is so far ahead it feels like a shame to put another album at #2. The horns were what attracted me to the album at first, and then after about three or so listens, the rubbery bass lines, Dan's lilting vocals, the very interesting and at times humourous lyrics, the synths, the drums, the ambient discos for one, had become ensconced in my mind. I listen to it a few times a week and my favourite song from it changes every day. Nothing that even comes close to being a bad track - I can't even say that about my two absolute loves from last year, This is Happening and Romance is Boring. It may even have etched its way into my top 25 or so all time. Discovering albums like this is an example of the times when having over 20,000 posts on a fucking internet forum doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Lance is wrong, this is easily the best video of the year:

YouTube - ‪Destroyer - Kaputt‬‏

Among the other releases this year, I love the second half of King of Limbs, and Bloom too. Codex > Give Up the Ghost > Separator in particular is an impressive stretch. The Decemberists' King is Dead is a really good record. Urgently need to revisit Nine Types of Light. James Blake's s/t is great. Zonoscope is good. Elbow's new one is the worst I've heard this year, though many here love it I found it incredibly boring. For the hip hop purists :)wink:) Talib Kweli's Gutter Rainbows has some great songs, as does Goblin, but I've got many more to check out.

In terms of albums not released this year that I'm getting around to, I'd say Wu-Tang's 36 Chambers is the highlight. 12 tracks, and I don't think any of them are bad, which is remarkable for a hip-hop record. All of the clan rap on various songs and I am almost turned on by tracks like Protect Ya Neck, which features about nine of them, and it's just one killer verse after another. Outkast's Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and ATLiens are obviously destined to be two of my non-2011-release favourites, and both are outstanding though they're very different records. Idlewild sucks. Destroyer's Rubies is a great album. There have been others but they slip my mind at the moment.

I haven't listened to all that much this year for one reason or another, but of what I've heard, I'd say this is definitely a solid batch of potential favorite albums evar:

Destroyer - Kaputt
Antlers - Burst Apart
Yuck - Yuck
The Decemberists - The King is Dead
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

And a few other great ones worth mentioning:

Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo
tUnE-yArDs - w h o k i l l
TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light (The album that definitely finally made me a fan of this band)
CunninLynguists - Oneirology (Every one needs to hear this damn album)

Man, it's been years, but some people just can't quite get a handle on that one.

Easy set-up right there for one of the professionals.

A very rough top ten for me:

1. King of Limbs
2. Kaputt
3. Kiss Each Other Clean
4. Ravedeath, 1972
5. Burst Apart
6. Helplessness Blues
7. James Blake
8. Let England Shake
9. Nine Types of Light
10. Past Life Martyred Saints

Other noteworthy albums include I Am Very Far, Wounded Rhymes, and Zonoscope. I still need to hear a substantial amount of other albums, with Bon Iver and Gloss Drop at the top of that list.

I was going to mention her as well, but I feel like I may have intensely overrated that album. Need to relisten before I actually make a decision on that one.

It certainly doesn't help that my sister ONLY ever plays "Someone Like You" and "Rolling In The Deep" virtually on repeat when there is so much else to be discovered on the album.

Here's a top 25 of sorts.

1. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
2. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints
3. Cut Copy - Zonoscope
4. Tennis - Cape Dory
5. Destroyer - Kaputt
6. Austra - Feel it Break
7. Panda Bear - Tomboy
8. Man Man - Life Fantastic
9. Cults - Cults
10. James Blake - James Blake
11. Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
12. The Kills - Blood Pressures
13. Okkervil River - I Am Very Far
14. Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
15. Childish Gambino - EP
16. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
17. Death Cab for Cutie - Codes & Keys
18. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
19. Smith Westerns - Dye it Blonde
20. Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
21. Battles - Gloss Drop
22. Nicolas Jaar - Space is Only Noise
23. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
24. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care Take Care Take Care
25. Holy Ghost! - Holy Ghost!

Incomplete: Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver

Yeah, let's go with that. I'm as shocked at Death Cab's inclusion as anyone, but I listened to it again today and really, really like it. Unbelievable given how I've soured on them through the years.

Worst of the year is easily Worthlessness Blues. Just thinking about certain parts of that piece of shit makes me laugh.

I love that one more and more with each listen, so it's entirely possible it moves up the list as days go by. Don't fret.

Bon Iver's self-titled, Frank Ocean's mixtape, My Morning Jacket, Destroyer and Cults have been rockin' my world as of late.

I Am Very Far probably wouldn't as be as high on my list as you might expect, so don't fret. Like all Okkervil River albums though, they get considerably better for me the more acquainted I become.

I sorta forgot that Panda Bear album ever came out. I had a to listen to a couple songs to try to remember what it even sounded like. Ended up just listening to Comfy in Nautica and Take Pills instead.

I was never one of those people expecting a sequel to Person Pitch, so Tomboy wound up just great to these ears. I actually still have it in pretty heavy rotation. Same situation with Zonoscope, which has evolved from initially liking quite a bit to absolutely adoration. "Need You Now" is far and away my most listened to track of the year.

Eh, I just don't "get" all that Odd Future stuff. Maybe I'm finally old. But good on them for stirring shit with certified asshole Chris Brown.

Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi's Rome just might be my favorite thus far this year.

YouTube - ‪Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi present Rome - Season's Trees (ft. Norah Jones)‬‏

My Morning Jacket, TV on the Radio, Explosions in the Sky, Elbow and Death Cab on my perennial favorites making good list. James Blake, Destroyer, and Cults for making me start paying attention.

I've been extremely busy though, most new albums/artists I've listened to this year haven't gotten a second listen and as such my list is short. But as I'm back in a composing vein my headphones will be going dark for the time being, I don't like stuff I've listened to recently to seep into what I'm writing.

Oh and COBL has no soul or heart for just not getting Elbow, that's a damn shame. :sad:

Eh, I just don't "get" all that Odd Future stuff. Maybe I'm finally old.

I don't either.
Nor do I really get the feeling that their fans do...

In regards to Panda Bear, I'm not slighting it, I seriously somehow just lost track of it and forgot about amidst other releases. I actually was never a huge fan of Person Pitch either, I just really loved those two songs. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but Animal Collective and their side projects are very similar to Deerhunter and their side projects for me, in that very album has a few tracks I love, and the rest doesn't do a ton for me. Those few songs keep me coming back though.

Back
Top Bottom