Your Favorite Legdendary (or not yet) Radio DJ's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
Decided to copy bring and bring this over.

Tell me/us about the great DJ's you listen to!

I present to you :applaud: :heart: Vin Scelsa who besides beinga legendary free-form radio DJ; I belive was a major player in getting the word out about the Original CBGB's scene and besides everything else influenced U2 through the musical grapevine!

(all becuase of this post :wink: )

wfuv is great. Vin scelsa . The group harmony review. The kara manning show. They had echos on there at one point.

I think I've heard kara :) but my shedule varies;only relatively reccently have I gotten back to (remember &) listen to the station!

Vin Scelsa- one of the greatest free-form DJ's and story tellers real or fanciful IN the USA, if not the world!

He did colllege radio when he was in collage, too. :D He was a commercial DJ on 2 of the most high-powered NYC rock stations in the 70's - 90's maaaay be early oughts but by that time 00's I'd moved to the more southern burrough in nyc: so that when he was let go on commercial radio he went to FUV and I couldn't get the signal most tof the time for 9 yrs. Now that I'm back in the north of NYC I can again!

He often chaffed and got in trouble at times for bending & breaking The Playlist Rules as where he was in FM Commercial Radio (by late 60's the suits wanted to tightern up the PLs for $$ reasons) sometimes tighten their Playlists and even he at times wasn't quite as free-form , but other times the suits recognized his ff did attract a very loyal audience.

Back in the 70's & early-mid 80's thse are among the music artists he introduced to me:
The Neville Brothers, The Wikd Tchoupitoulas (Madri Gras Indian group), Steve Reich, The Roache Sister, and most imprtantly for u2: Teleivsion, Patti Smith Group, and The Ramones!

Vin helped & encourged some of the newer DJ's at WNEW-FM that also like the Punk/New Wave to also play that music. They did; and an audience outside of people near by (famous Art College & also NYU) went to check it out. It's possible that if they hadn't done that the CBGB's (and sometimes Max's Kansis City) scenes might not have florished as quickly sparking bands through the NE, and then rest of the USA> Plus influencing/sparking the English etc Punk scene etc or might have remained much more local, sputtered out (less to no play on radio). I really don't think it would have totally sputtered out as the was New York Rock & Punk Magazine to also carry the news. But it didn't here we are today with so many bands who florished/ later on were influnced by the original scene.

Just remeber Young NYc'rs and near-by and USA'r for those who love/d this stuff: Punk/New Wave started in NYC not Englnd.:wink:

[:hmm: in fact I think I'll copy & take this post to Zoo Staion oops! :lol: Just The Bang and The C latter and ask others to wax poetic about their Fav radio DJ's. Even if the listening audiences are more scattered listening-wise. :( ]

DJ #2 :love: Meg Griffin/"Megless"

Meg became one of the group of DJ's back in the mid-70's on WNEW-FM 102.7 who joined in with Vin to champion the original CBGB's Bands and the abnds that grew out of/later influenced by this sc ene and all it sparked.

I also heard her very briefly when i'd visit Philidelphia on WMMR-FM (1978 & 80 according to wiki) She's (wiki) currently heard on the Sirius XM Satellite Radio channels The Loft, Classic Rewind, and Deep Tracks.

I've got a few favorites:

1) Kevin "Koz" Koske, WTMX - He's been my favorite DJ since I first started driving my car (oh my God, I just realized I've been driving for nearly 10 years now). His ridiculous stories, "Kill a Half Hour" feature, the cackling laugh and the fact that I once called him up to request a song and he called me "Sweetie" just absolutely sit him right at the top of my favorite DJs list. He'll likely remain there for the rest of time.

Plus...what other DJ has rules for their show?

RULES OF THE SHOW
  • What happens on the show, stays on the show.
  • I always answer my own phone.
  • If a guy says something stupid, he's put into the "Listener Protection Program". This rule does not apply to women, they're smarter.
  • Nobody is too young / Nobody is too old.
  • No Lindsay Lohan, or Lisa Marie Presley Songs. This rule will be revised when somebody proves that they can sing.
  • Calls from Indiana are subject to "humor".
  • Calls from Wisconsin are subject to "stereo-type".
  • I must help you waste time at work with "Kill A Half Hour".
  • All Friday email (due to the weekend) must be sent in "ALL CAPS".
  • I must say "Sorry" every night at 6:50pm.

2) Bob Stroud, WDRV - Basically everything he says sounds like it's the most important thing anyone is ever going to tell you, ever. It's great that all he's actually talking about is music, but he really does make the "Soundtrack of Our Lives" thing seem pretty apt.

3) Dick Biondi, WLS-FM - I love his voice to death, and I actually own a speaking bobble-head of his :lol:. I can't believe he's still around, it's insane. He's one of the original screamin' DJs from the Wolfman Jack era. The fact that I can still listen to him on the radio absolutely blows my mind.

4) John Records Landecker, WLS-FM - I don't have much to share about him, I just love his work and that his middle name is actually "Records".

5) I don't like having a list with four entries, so I'm struggling to decide what to put here at #5, but I really don't want to use morning DJs, as they're more talk-show hosts than music people. If I were to pick one morning show host, though it would be Eric and Kathy from WTMX. They're just about my favorite thing on the radio besides Koz. I wish that channel still played music I enjoy, because I would never turn it off. It was one of the saddest moments in music, for me, when I came home from college one break and discovered that I just didn't like anything that my favorite radio station played anymore. I still manage to listen to their DJs, but it's difficult.

fsorry, unexpectedly even busier bunch of days than i expected after i read your post wanted to give it proper due. :)

I've got a few favorites:
1) Kevin "Koz" Koske, WTMX - He's been my favorite DJ since I first started driving my car (oh my God, I just realized I've been driving for nearly 10 years now). His ridiculous stories, "Kill a Half Hour" feature,
Plus...what other DJ has rules for their show?

RULES OF THE SHOW
  • What happens on the show, stays on the show.
  • I always answer my own phone.
  • If a guy says something stupid, he's put into the "Listener Protection Program". This rule does not apply to women, they're smarter.
  • Nobody is too young / Nobody is too old.
  • No Lindsay Lohan, or Lisa Marie Presley Songs. This rule will be revised when somebody proves that they can sing.
  • Calls from Indiana are subject to "humor".
    [*]Calls from Wisconsin are subject to "stereo-type"
  • I must help you waste time at work with "Kill A Half Hour".
  • All Friday email (due to the weekend) must be sent in "ALL CAPS".
  • I must say "Sorry" every night at 6:50pm.
:lol::lol:
i love ridiculous stories - done right!

Scelsa tells both real and made-up stories. Those <made-up> he weaves drama and silliness toether. :D

Kill a Half-hour at Work?!
*Priceless!* :lmao:

2) Bob Stroud, WDRV - Basically everything he says sounds like it's the most important thing anyone is ever going to tell you, ever. It's great that all he's actually talking about is music, but he really does make the "Soundtrack of Our Lives" thing seem pretty apt.
hee... lika a "confidant's" Voice :)

3) Dick Biondi, WLS-FM - I love his voice to death, and I actually own a speaking bobble-head of his :lol:. I can't believe he's still around, it's insane. He's one of the original screamin' DJs from the Wolfman Jack era. The fact that I can still listen to him on the radio absolutely blows my mind.
:lol: i remember WJ!

4) John Records Landecker, WLS-FM - I don't have much to share about him, I just love his work and that his middle name is actually "Records".
:lol:

5) .... If I were to pick one morning show host, though it would be Eric and Kathy from WTMX. They're just about my favorite thing on the radio besides Koz. I wish that channel still played music I enjoy, because I would never turn it off. It was one of the saddest moments in music, for me, when I came home from college one break and discovered that I just didn't like anything that my favorite radio station played anymore. I still manage to listen to their DJs, but it's difficult.
awwww no fun! At least mine usually changed gradually

Back
Top Bottom