Your favorite 2017 albums/songs so far? (translated from cobblerese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got to add another album to this thread, one that just came out on Friday: Perfect Body by Mermaidens. If you ever wanted something in between Warpaint and Esben and the Witch, this is the album for you. Great jams with eerie, sinister undercurrents.

Their album last year was fantastic, and this one is its equal. It'll definitely be in my year-end list.

I'm gonna do one of those selfish, 'tell me what to listen to' posts and ask you guys to help me fill in the blanks on what I've missed so far this year, what should I be listening to?

What I've heard, for reference:
1. Ryan Adams - Prisoner (9/10)*

2. The Flaming Lips – Oczy Mlody (9/10)

3. Austra – Future Politics (8.5/10)

4. The XX – I See You (8.5/10)

5. Run the Jewels – RTJ3 (8.5/10) - Might be higher on a relisten with lyrics*

6. Cloud Nothings – Life Without Sounds (8/10)

7. Foxygen – Hang (8/10) *

8. Priests – Nothing Feels Natural (8/10}

9. Tinariwen – Elwan (8/10) - I don't know if I need to relisten to this, it's what you'd expect and SUPER beautiful. I want to listen to more of this kind of music when I'm stressed. So soothing.

10. AFI – The Blood Album (7.75/10)

11. Sampha – Process (7.5/10) - Going to try and hear this without the piano song and see if I like it more. *

12. Sinkane - Life & Livin' It (7.5/10) - Super fun, hits a lot of my buttons and explores almost every R&B/Dance genre possible.*

13. Japandroids – Near the Wild Heart of Life (7/10)

14. Max Richter - Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works (7/10)

15. Tycho – Epoch (7/10) - I really like this a lot, It just didn't move me all that much either. It's Tycho being Tycho.

16. Bonobo – Migration (6.5/10)

17. Sundara Karma – Youth Is Only Ever Fun in Retrospect (6/10)

18. Surfer Blood – Snowdonia (6/10)

19. Homeshake – Fresh Air (3/10)

(a lot missing from this list, but it'll do for now. I have heard Arcade Fire, for example *shudder*)

Broken Social Scene, Los Campesinos!, the new Fleet Foxes, and Spoon. I think they are all stuff you might enjoy.

Good to see you around here!

Slowdive self-titled if you haven't yet.

Erasure has a new one out but it's kinda meh.

Last edited:
God, I'm missing so much from my list. I have indeed heard BSS (one of my favorites of the year), Honestly can't remember if I knew there was a new Los Camp! or not, but that's exciting. I haven't heard Spoon yet, so I'll get on that. Fleet Foxes is pretty great, I did hear that one recently.

Slowdive's album is one of my favorites. Surprised that's not on that list, actually. I heard it quite a while ago.

Also, I forgot to delete my running commentary from the list :lol:. oooooh well.

Oh, also: new Lorde. I think it's great.

Off the top of my head: Lorde, Waxachatee, Japanese Breakfast, Algiers, Laura Marling.

I've heard Lorde twice and I just can't get into (thank you all, btw, you're helping me fill in the gaps on what's missing from my list haha).

I had no idea there was new Waxahatchee :hyper:. From what I've heard, I need to become a fan of Japanese Breakfast, too.

Just out of curiosity - you have asterisks next to some of the items on your list, but you never clarify what they are intended to denote. What do they mean?

Just out of curiosity - you have asterisks next to some of the items on your list, but you never clarify what they are intended to denote. What do they mean?

Haha, as I mentioned a few posts ago, I C/P'd this from my OneNote list, and forgot to remove all of my personal notes to myself. That includes the *s which mean I would like to re-listen to those albums at least a time or two more to fully form an opinion on them. It's something I do to try to avoid getting to November and end up realizing there's a bunch of albums I only ended up listening to once.

I've heard Lorde twice and I just can't get into (thank you all, btw, you're helping me fill in the gaps on what's missing from my list haha).

I had no idea there was new Waxahatchee :hyper:. From what I've heard, I need to become a fan of Japanese Breakfast, too.

from Joey's list, i'd also recommend listening to new Algier's album because it was pretty cool sounding.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I need to spend more time with most of the albums I've listened to - it's been a very busy year. I do have a few favorite songs, though (no specific order):

Ryan Adams - Anything I Say to You Now
The War on Drugs - Holding On
Lorde - Green Light
Arcade Fire - Everything Now
Royal Blood - Don't Tell
Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie - In My World
Future Islands - Ran
Slowdive - Sugar for the Pill
The xx - Replica

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom