Your 11 favourite albums of ALL TIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Not something we've done in a very, very long time. What's your top 10 albums of all-time? (I'm listing 11 cos I can't boot one mine, lol.)

List yours, but please, let's also try and discuss a little bit. Everyone welcome, not just us random circlejerks. Also, try to order them. Makes it that much harder.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
3. Radiohead - In Rainbows
4. Steely Dan - Aja
5. U2 - The Joshua Tree
6. Outkast - Aquemini
7. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
8. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
9. Destroyer - Kaputt
10. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
11. The Who - Quadrophenia

I had a rock solid top five for years - Dark Side / Achtung / JT / Aja / Quadrophenia but I just constantly continue to grow more fond of Achtung Baby. I always know what I'm gonna get with DSOTM, which is an unmatched and incredibly life-affirming listening experience, but every time I go back to Achtung it just blows me away. Mysterious Ways is my least favourite track on it, which should say something.

A note that in the past say two years, the amount of times I have listened to Achtung/DSOTM/JT/Aja/Quadrophenia cumulatively is like five or six times. I do find it weird that I very rarely listen to albums I love so much, but - and Quadrophenia has dropped off a little for me, as you can see, and been comfortably replaced by In Rainbows - I find that I can't just play my absolute favourites whenever I want. Like just now, I just tried to put on In Rainbows and within five seconds of 15 Step starting up I got anxious and turned it off, because it means SO much to me, and to listen to these albums, I really have to be mentally prepared. Is that weird? Does anyone else do that?

Quadrophenia is a record I've not listened to in a long time, but I keep it here because it was top five for me and I know whenever I do listen to it I'm awe of how good it is - easily The Who's best record.

Aquemini is probably the ~least best~ album here, but it's fucking Outkast, and even when they were making an album that is about 15 minutes too long and not especially cohesive, it was still the best hip-hop record ever made.

Of the recent stuff, Kaputt is a vision completely and totally realised and one that succeeds in spite of those 80s soft rock knockers. MBDTF is without any shred of a doubt a modern masterpiece and an album that we will absolutely be talking about in 10, 20, 50 years time. TPAB is even more expansive and whilst I consider it to absolutely be the equal of MBDTF - maybe (even probably) better - I honestly think it's going to take quite a few years until it really reveals all of itself to us. It rises in my estimation constantly, and it's cinematic (fuck you iYup). And then there's TWFM, and I know I'm probably in the minority thinking it's the best National album, but there you have it. Whenever I listen to it, I'm completely stunned by how many really, really fucking good songs it has; there's at least eight in my mind, which might be the highest number of any album on my list.

The main apologies go to Sufjan's Age of Adz, Abbey Road & The White Album, The Soft Bulletin (even though I prefer Embryonic), Jon Hopkins' Immunity, Another Green World, Bon Iver Bon Iver, of course OK Computer, and a few I'm blanking on. I also note that there's not a single woman involved in any of my above records. I don't buy into the argument that's inherent sexism, because your taste is your taste and there's plenty of female artists I love, but it does concern me a little.

As for David Bowie. U2 is and always will be my favourite band of all time, but David Bowie is my favourite artist (if that makes any sense). And the reason he's not here is because I have never been able to pick my favourite of his, out of like, six or seven albums. All of them are immense but I just can't choose and so as such I can't put any of them top 10, even though they all deserve to be.

Anyway, over to you, my friends :) perhaps we'll even find some new albums to listen to!

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Like just now, I just tried to put on In Rainbows and within five seconds of 15 Step starting up I got anxious and turned it off, because it means SO much to me, and to listen to these albums, I really have to be mentally prepared. Is that weird? Does anyone else do that?

I will make a list later, but for now I can say yes, I feel the same way - about one of the same albums, even: Quadrophenia.

11? You spineless fucking knob.

I see your problem with Bowie, I have a similar issue with film and Martin Scorsese. He's one of my top 2-3 directors, but none of his films make my shortlist.

Anyway:

1. Achtung Baby '91
2. The White Album '68
3. Prince - Crystal Ball (unreleased Sign O' The Times precursor) '86
4. Pavement - Wowee Zowee '95
5. Sugar - Copper Blue '92
6. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy '73
7. The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me '87
8. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited '65
9. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster... '08
10. The Afghan Whigs - Black Love '96
11. New Order - Brotherhood '86

Wish I had room for a female artist, Liz Phair and Joni Mitchell have both placed on past lists.

Interesting bit of trivia: there are FOUR artists above from Minnesota. That's crazy.

1. Led Zeppelin IV
2. Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
3. David Bowie: Low
4. Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
5. Sufjan Stevens: Carrie & Lowell
6. Radiohead: In Rainbows
7. The Beatles: Revolver
8. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Push the Sky Away
9. Portishead: Dummy
10. Bjork: Homogenic
11. Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet

I would include The Smiths' Hatful of Hollow, but it's a stretch to call that a proper album. Dylan's Blood on the Tracks and Floyd's Animals would be just outside the top 11.

this required more thought than i expected.

1. The Beatles - Revolver
2. Verve - A Storm in Heaven
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
4. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
5. Pink Floyd - Meddle
6. The Verve - Urban Hymns
7. Nas - Illmatic
8. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
9. Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are...
10. The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely
11. Radiohead - In Rainbows

Honourable mentions (not my favourites, but still meaningful as hell to me for whatever reason):
Toro Y Moi - Causers of This
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Radiohead - OK Computer
Matt Mays & El Torpedo - Matt Mays & El Torpedo
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, MAAD City
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
GZA - Liquid Swords
Outkast - Stankonia
The Verve - A Northern Soul
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Beastie Boys - To the 5 Boroughs
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

so many others i could add but i'll stop here so this post doesn't get out of hand.

Last edited:
1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
3. The Who - Quadrophenia
4. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
5. Van Halen - Women and Children First
6. Pearl Jam - Ten
7. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
8. Live - Throwing Copper
9. Alice in Chains - Dirt
10. Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
11. U2 - War

Nice to see the Floyd love for Meddle and Obscured By Clouds instead of everyone just repeating Dark Side.

Also, kinda shocked to see all the In Rainbows mentions over OK Computer and Kid A. I prefer it to both as well.

i know dark side well enough that i can play the entire thing note for note from memory on my guitar (it's basically how i learned to play lead), and despite that i don't know if it's even in floyd's top 5 for me. i feel it's sort of like sgt. pepper in terms of public perception, a classic beyond a doubt that everyone knows with amazing moments but a bit overhyped relative to the rest of what the band did. don't get me wrong, dark side is of course a brilliant masterpiece, i only mean this to express how incredible the rest of PF's catalogue is.

Last edited:
i feel it's sort of like sgt. pepper in terms of public perception, a classic beyond a doubt that everyone knows with amazing moments but a bit overhyped relative to the rest of what the band did. don't get me wrong, dark side is of course a brilliant masterpiece, i only mean this to express how incredible the rest of PF's catalogue is.

That's an apt comparison. Now that I think of it, Sgt Pepper wouldn't be in my top three Beatles albums.

The dark horse of Floyd's catalogue IMO is Animals - it fits into that category Cobbler mentioned where it's too intense for a casual listen, so despite its brilliance it doesn't get heavy rotation from me.

U2 and Pink Floyd get two albums each. So, how to squeeze the rest into 6 spots gets tough.

1. The Joshua Tree, U2.
I'm actually afraid of the tears that could run down my cheeks when tracks 6-11 blast live into my ears and through my chest. I mean, I can cry sure. No problem. I just have never cried at a concert before. I imagine that I'll probably look certifiable should this happen. Excuse me for that.

2. Animals, Pink Floyd.
The thing about this band is that from Meddle to the Final Cut, I can't go wrong with any of it. I love this period so much. Angry (agressive) Floyd is the best Floyd and it pretty much starts with One of These Days. At the moment, Animals has been my go to Floyd since the remasters hit in 2011. It's a beautiful sight watching my dog interact when Dogs comes on.

3. The Suburbs, Arcade Fire.
It wasn't easy picking this over Funeral, another perfect record. I just think they nail the indie-folk rock sound that so many bands soon after this tried to emulate (2011-2015), but could never achieve.

4. Power, Corruption, & Lies, New Order.
I do like Joy Division, but New Order is on another level really. Their story is incredible. Age of Consent, Leave Me Alone and Your Silent Face are my favorites here. And 586, thanks to Stuart Price, has a new life that I'd love to hear a proper studio recording of.

5. OK Computer, Radiohead.
I can admit that they sort of lost me after this one. A Moon Shaped Pool and more so, In Rainbows felt like they got me back to this point, but after some time passes, not really. The 90s are owned by this album and U2's AB!

6. Achtung Baby, U2
No much to say about this here. Clearly, we have 2 major camps and U2 have 2 masterpieces that can't be disputed here or anywhere else. For the record, I'm an "UTEOTW" guy. Probably my 2nd favorite U2 song ever.

7. Disintegration, the Cure.
The best happy/sad album ever.

8. Let's Dance, David Bowie
80's pop perfection! My favorite Bowie album simply because of Stevie Ray Vaughan. His guitar, Bowie's voice. No words can really express how perfect this is. This would probably be my ultimate concert album experience where both Bowie and Stevie come back and take this album out on tour together.

9. The Wall, Pink Floyd.
I was 9 when I first heard this. I had no idea rock n' roll could do this. My wtf cherry popping moment before wtf was a thing. Obviously, there are probably better concept albums than this, but this is an inescapable father/son album for me. I'm blinded by this wonderful connection with my dad and this album.

10. IV, Led Zeppelin.
If this album didn't have Stairway on it, I'd still pick it as their best. The other 7 tracks hold their own here.

This was harder than I thought it would be.

Like most of you, my list fluctuates, so it would look different if you asked me tomorrow. Everything except for the top 3, though, which will never change.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. Arcade Fire - Funeral
4. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
5. The National - Boxer
6. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
7. Florence + The Machine - Lungs
8. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
9. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
10. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
11. Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Honourable mentions:

U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Beatles - Revolver
The White Stripes - Elephant
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Radiohead - The Bends
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Guns 'n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metric - Fantasies
Radiohead - Kid A
U2 - Pop
The Strokes - Is This It
The National - Alligator
Green Day - American Idiot
The Killers - Hot Fuss
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Great idea for a thread. I might add some comments if I have time later.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Radiohead - Kid A
3. Sigur Ros - ()

This has been my top three for quite a few years. I don't know if this will ever change really.

4. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D. City
5. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
6. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
7. Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
8. The Beatles - White Album
9. The National - Alligator
10. Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
11. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

One per band:

1. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third (2006)
2. Anathema - Judgement (1999)
3. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde (2007)
4. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
5. The Cure - Faith (1981)
6. Russian Circles - Station (2008)
7. Agalloch - Pale Folklore (1999)
8. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (1999)
9. Whipping Boy - Heartworm (1995)
10. Medicine - Shot Forth Self Living (1992)
11. The Church - Seance (1983)

After Judgement was my #1 for almost a decade, The Dark Third has cemented itself as far and away my #1 album since about 2014. It's the one album that has been there for every moment in my life no matter how good or awful, yet has never become tied to any specific feeling in my memory. Other albums that have soundtracked something amazing or provided support during something terrible recall those emotions for me today; The Dark Third just keeps coming for the ride and fits itself to everything.

For so long I've given UF as my favourite U2 album that I can barely imagine listing something different. But I'm actually getting really close to saying Boy is their best, and therefore belongs at #4 on my overall list. And picking that final album was a struggle; it kills me to leave The Chills' Submarine Bells languishing off the list.

2. Verve - A Storm in Heaven

Good man. Definitely in my top 25.

Shit, 11 is tough. Fuck it, I'll give it a whirl. I'm too lazy to type the bands. :wink:

1- Dark Side of the Moon
2- Achtung Baby
3- Abbey Road
4- No Code
5- Van Halen
6- Led Zeppelin IV
7- Jagged Little Pill
8- No Jacket Required
9- Odelay
10- What's the Story, Morning Glory?
11- Californication

Last edited:
I have a pretty solid, all-purpose list that use for situations like this, but I'm going to throw that out for now and go with what I'm really feeling lately:

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. U2 - Zooropa
4. Steely Dan - Aja
5. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
6. David Bowie - Station to Station
7. Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
8. Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
9. Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
10. Big Star - Radio City
11. Elliott Smith - Either/Or

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
3. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
4. U2 - The Joshua Tree
5. R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant
6. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
7. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
8. Jackson Browne - Late For the Sky
9. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
10. Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
11. Keane - Hopes & Fears

Great stuff everyone. Some more albums that would likely litter my top 20 that I've been reminded of in your lists:

Hot Chip - The Warning
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (this could even be top 10)
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Coldplay - Parachutes
Pink Floyd - Animals, Wish You Were Here
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Beck - Midnite Vultures
Madvillain - Madvillainy
GZA - Liquid Swords
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
Nas - Illmatic

Shout out to Dave for the great hip-hop mentions :up:

Also some artists I really need to start listening to like Elliot Smith, The Cure, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell to name a few.

I will make a list later, but for now I can say yes, I feel the same way - about one of the same albums, even: Quadrophenia.

Why so with Quadrophenia?

Nice to see the Floyd love for Meddle and Obscured By Clouds instead of everyone just repeating Dark Side.

Also, kinda shocked to see all the In Rainbows mentions over OK Computer and Kid A. I prefer it to both as well.

I love a great deal of Floyd but I think Dark Side cops a raw deal. I think all the "best album evar" crap means it's unfairly maligned, it's a really phenomenal record separated from all of that, and absolutely stands up to all their other great records. Genuinely my favourite.

Cobbler that's a really solid list.

Thanks man :) yours?

That's an apt comparison. Now that I think of it, Sgt Pepper wouldn't be in my top three Beatles albums.

The dark horse of Floyd's catalogue IMO is Animals - it fits into that category Cobbler mentioned where it's too intense for a casual listen, so despite its brilliance it doesn't get heavy rotation from me.

Animals has been in my top 10 in the past. The only thing that holds it back for me is that interminable middle section of Pigs. Sgt Peppers would be my #3 for The Beatles, behind Abbey Road and The White Album.

Why so with Quadrophenia?

The Who is one of those bands that I love, but as I've heard more and more music, I've realized they really aren't an albums band. I feel the same way about U2 now - I could put together a long list of killer songs from them, but (IMO!) they don't have any albums that speak to me as complete statements.

To add: Quadrophenia is a strangely personal album for me. My dad introduced me to it when we were on a road trip of some sort and talked about all his memories with it, so it always had nostalgic value for that reason. That's also a reason I think I over-rated it for quite a while.

Last edited:
But I was saying that In Rainbows means so much to me that I can't just play it whenever, I have to mentally prepared. Not that it has slipped in estimation for me.

I've only heard three albums by The Who: Quadrophenia, Who's Next and The Who Sell Out. But I think that's an incorrect assessment. Quadrophenia is remarkable front to back and Who's Next is really strong throughout as well. The Who Sell Out is very spotty, though its highs are great. I've not much interest in hearing their other albums, you may be right about the rest.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends
3. Madonna - Ray of Light
4. U2 - The Joshua Tree
5. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
6. Prince - Purple Rain
7. Radiohead - The Bends
8. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
9. Pearl Jam - Ten
10. The Beatles - Abbey Road
11. The Killers - Hot Fuss

Last edited:
Listing them in order will be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah. After five, I struggle mightily. And then I never know how to account for albums that were incredibly important to me for various reasons even if i don't care to listen to them anymore.

Quadrophenia is my 2nd though. Nothing has ever been able to unseat Sinners & Saints The Sky is Falling. Those 9 songs have remained my #1 for well over a decade now. 3 is Exile on Main Street, and then Nebraska and London Calling round out the top 5, although I never know if I mean those two or Darkness and the self titled. Then again, ...And out come the Wolves exists, and gets both 1) amazing album i'll always listen to start to finish and 2) life changing points. So I don't know what happens next.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll play (but 15, not 11):

1. Radiohead - Kid A
2. Beatles - Revolver
3. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
4. Arcade Fire - Funeral
5. David Bowie - Low
6. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
7. Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On
8. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
9. Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
10. Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
11. Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
12. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
13. Prince - Sign O The Times
14. Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
15. Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

If my list had gone on just a little longer, Funeral, Automatic and Sign o the Times would have all been on there.

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
4. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
5. The Cure - Disintegration
6. Tame Impala - Lonerism
7. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
8. The Strokes - Room On Fire
9. Radiohead - OK Computer
10. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
11. The National - Trouble Will Find Me

A couple of these were hard. For instance, some days The Joshua Tree might take The Unforgettable Fire's place. And maybe Alligator would knock off Trouble Will Find Me. Also just trying to put how important some records were at certain points in my life makes it tough. For instance, OK Computer is an album I don't listen to very often but when I do I love it. It's one I used to listen to at least every week in my musically formative years so it would have been hard to leave off. Sometimes it feels cheap to use recent albums in a list like this but I guess since I only have 4 on my list that were released in the last 15 years maybe it's not too bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom