Yo La Tengo - Fade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked up tickets for their gig next Friday. :up:

I'm looking forward to a whole week working through the YLT discography.

This album is the best Fade since:

dune_lynch_feyd.jpg

Yes, it's spelled Feyd, so what, GFY

Well, I may or may not write a full review of the show in the morning, we'll see, but, in short: I almost wrote this show off as an enormous failure. The first 10 songs were slow and acoustic and I was pretty much bored to tears. Not because the songs were bad, but it was just the wrong venue for something like that.

Then, they were done with what they apparently deemed to be their first set. They took an even more awkward 15 minute intermission to set up the electric stuff and I was really worried that they might only play for another 30 minutes or so.

Not the case. They came out an just kicked into overdrive. Everything from that point on kicked ass, and they managed to play what had to have been 15 more songs. The show went for 2.5 hours at least. It was amazing.

But best of all...

THEY PLAYED AUTUMN SWEATER :love:.

Yeah, it was a 3 minute long version of Autumn Sweater that he scat sang over, but...but...it was still there.

Eat it Broken Social Scene and Los Camp!

Acoustic

Ohm
Two Trains
The Weakest Part
The Summer
Ashes On The Ground
(Jad Fair cover)
The Point of It
Cornelia and Jane
I'll Be Around
Sugarcube
Center of Gravity

Electric

Cherry Chapstick
Is That Enough
Before We Run
Autumn Sweater
(Unknown)
(Instrumental with Ira on keyboard)
Paddle Forward
Nothing To Hide
Ohm
Tom Courtenay
The Story of Yo La Tango

Encore:

Gimme All Your Lovin'
(ZZ Top cover)
One PM Again
(by request)
Nowhere Near
(by request)

Encore 2:
Time Fades Away
(Neil Young cover)
What Can I Say
(NRBQ cover)

Only thing more I could have asked for would have been "Stupid Things" (one of the only shows this tour they haven't played it) and a long-shot "Damage"

Ira kept saying how happy they were to be there, and I became certain of it once they rolled out FOUR more tracks than anywhere else on the tour. What a great show. Though I got my wishlist trio of Autumn Sweater, Sugarcube and Cherry Chapstick, The Story of Yo La Tengo was breathtaking, one of the finest live performances I've had the pleasure of seeing in person.

The pacing throughout wasn't great, but by the end of the show, I thought there was plenty of variety. They drew from like 8 different albums.

Back
Top Bottom