Years Of Refusal - Morrissey - Album/Tour Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:doh: This tour is beginning to sound like a Coronation Street or even worse Eastenders script!!!!

I think you may have been replying to my earlier comment gvox, I was the one who commented earlier about the Liverpool incident and compared it to Bono getting drenched at Slane during "All I Want Is You", I think the two incidents are quit different alright, but I think Bono's situation was worse, Morrissey didn't get hit by a bottle, I'm fairly sure this has been proven over on the Morrissey Solo forums, It was a light plastic cup of beer which didnt seem to have been thrown too hard, and from what I could make out from the audience shot video on YouTube the cup seemed to lightly bounce off the top of his head, I'm sure the worst part of it for him was been wet from the beer thats obiviously going to be uncomfortable to perform in for the rest of the gig, also I think it was a case of rage and disgust that prevented him from coming back out and finishing the gig, He made light of the incident at his next gig in Holland two days later, if he had been physically hurt I don't think he would have passed it off as a joke, the Bono incident at Slane I think was worse and probably more uncomfortable, Bono was playing an outdoor gig for a start in a huge field (Slane) in Autmune in Ireland not the warmest of settings to get drenched, and drenched he did get, yes the cup didn't hit him but most of the contents did it was clear to see water or most probably Beer dripping from Bono's face, jacket and hair he was soaked and I thought he dealt with it very well, just turning to the section of the audience from where the beer came and jokingly saying whilst smilling "all I fucking want is you man", I'm sure after the song Bono didn't make a big deal he probably just made his way to the back of the stage beside the amps and got his towel and dried himself off, for Morrissey this wouldn't work of course because as we all know Morrissey is very vain and image conscious, but IMO he should have made his way to his dressing room washed his face and hair or even have a shower if needs be (he didn't seem to be too wet) and then change his clothes and return to the stage as quickly as possible, the offender who threw the cup was removed from the audience fairly soon after Moz walked off , if Moz had have went to his dressing room and freshend up by the time he would be returning the offender would have been well removed and the rest of the audience would be ready for the concert to resume, I agree the behavour of the cup thrower was horrid and no perfromer should have to put up with such carry on, but in this case I think Morrissey should have finished the gig, he was not seriously hurt and I don't think it was fair to let down his audience because of one bad apple!

I'm sorry, but is anything in that post half serious?

The report quoted earlier and the credible ones I've read since stated that he was hit in the eye. The jury's still out on whether that was a bottle (which is just as hard as glass) or a cup. This has nothing to do with the contents of the bottle, being wet, being uncomfortable, or even how much it should or should not have hurt him. He was hit with a projectile, period. I watched the video, it wasn't a graze, it was a full on hit, that's why the bottle stopped it's trajectory and it pretty much landed beside him. Another thing about the video, cups don't flip end over end like the way that object did. It's definitely a bottle.

Bono was hit by a splash of water from the side/back, not full on in the front. ALSO...on that date, the temperature was 20 degrees celcius according to historical figures. That's not cold, in fact it set a record for high temperature.

Getting hit by a bit of water is one thing. Getting hit in the eye by a projectile is another, completely.

IMO he should have made his way to his dressing room washed his face and hair or even have a shower if needs be (he didn't seem to be too wet) and then change his clothes and return to the stage as quickly as possible, the offender who threw the cup was removed from the audience fairly soon after Moz walked off , if Moz had have went to his dressing room and freshend up by the time he would be returning the offender would have been well removed and the rest of the audience would be ready for the concert to resume, I agree the behavour of the cup thrower was horrid and no perfromer should have to put up with such carry on, but in this case I think Morrissey should have finished the gig, he was not seriously hurt and I don't think it was fair to let down his audience because of one bad apple!

I agree with this completely. It was a shitty thing to happen but he was not seriously hurt, just stunned and pissed. I dont blame him one bit for being pissed. But he only played 1 and 1/2 songs. That's a big let down to all those people that spent all that money and traveled, etc to get there. Any other artist probably would have done the above, but its Moz remember..

Just gonna cross my fingers that my show happens, and without any crazy incident. :pray:

I guess I don't need to state that I disagree. There's a few principles involved. One is: the venue is not secure. It's up to security to ensure that the performer is safe. Do we really believe that someone would be able to launch a bottle at Bono? It could happen...but I think it would be fairly difficult, the front rows of a U2 show are under heavy scrutiny. Another: a strong message has to be sent that that simply will not be tolerated. So when does the message get sent? Should he have waited for another bottle to hit him? How many? Objects being thrown onstage/at performers is nothing new. Rarely do they hit them though, and usually the show takes a pause and either the singer or the promoter warns the audience that if they don't settle down, the show is done. But when someone actually does connect and hit the performer full on in the eye/face/head??? I don't think unfair to say that the show is done, 1 song or 10 songs in. The only other option imo is for the performer to jump into the audience and beat the living shit out of the person (which would be what I would definitely do, no hesitation. Come to think of it, I honestly believe that if someone hit Bono in the face with a bottle, he would also jump down and deliver a good pounding. Then the fans would take a turn, and then security might be able to pick up the pieces :lol: ). :shrug:

Anyways, so surprised noone has said:

I hope Moz is ok.

:wink:

Oh..and for sure Sicy I hope nothing like that happens at your show. We'll expect a full review! :)

I'm sorry, but is anything in that post half serious?

The report quoted earlier and the credible ones I've read since stated that he was hit in the eye. The jury's still out on whether that was a bottle (which is just as hard as glass) or a cup. This has nothing to do with the contents of the bottle, being wet, being uncomfortable, or even how much it should or should not have hurt him. He was hit with a projectile, period. I watched the video, it wasn't a graze, it was a full on hit, that's why the bottle stopped it's trajectory and it pretty much landed beside him. Another thing about the video, cups don't flip end over end like the way that object did. It's definitely a bottle.

Bono was hit by a splash of water from the side/back, not full on in the front. ALSO...on that date, the temperature was 20 degrees celcius according to historical figures. That's not cold, in fact it set a record for high temperature.

Getting hit by a bit of water is one thing. Getting hit in the eye by a projectile is another, completely.

Sorry Doesn't Help! :wink:

On a serious note tho, Yes I was serious about everything I said in my last post, Well, yes I guess I made a mistake about the weather at Slane, I remember the day now, it was quit warm/mild from my memory and been as "All I Want Is You" came pretty late in the set it would have been colder, granted not freezing as I presumed, but still uncomfortable either way, I disagree with you about Bono getting hit with a splash of water, to my eye's it looked like quit alot! he was dripping wet, from his jacket and hair and he had to wipe his face, Yes I agree contrary to my earlier belief, the jury is still indeed out on if it was a bottle or cup that was thrown at Moz, the object was plastic and obviously the lid was removed, the majority of reports say it was a plastic bottle, I think it is a bit daft to say a plastic bottle is as hard as a glass bottle! its not!!! a glass bottle could have seriously hurt Moz or anyone else in the arena, and they are strictly not permitted inside the arena, so in this case I think it would have shown up poor security, Plastic bottles of beer with the lid removed are sold in the arena I believe, From my view of the YouTube video clip the bottle clearly seems to bounce of the left side of Morrissey's head/forehead, It was reported in the NME and the MEN and also most of the Morrissey Solo forum comments from eye witness reports that the bottle hit Moz on the head, and also the cancellation announcement said "Morrissey has been hit on the head by a bottle", I believe this message was announced by one of Morrissey's tour personnel, I guess that's as close as we'll get to actually hearing it from Morrissey himself, My point is as I addressed earlier Morrissey was not hurt, as I stated again before the problem IMO was Moz was disgusted that someone threw something at him and also uncomfortable at been wet with beer, the bottle struck him seemingly lightly on the top left hand side of his head, the bottle was dropping when it hit him it was not thrown with serious force, he continued singing the next line of Black Cloud after been hit, stood up and looked at the bottle on the stage and then rubbed his hair and looked at his hand, I guess this kind of indicated he was uncomfortable with his hair been wet from the beer, it looked like it was an issue for him to my eye's, he then very composedly walked to the back of the stage turned and said "goodnight" showing no signs of been hurt, he dropped the mic on the stage as he left showing he was angry, justifiably!, as I said in my last post he made light of the incident two days later in Holland, he wouldn't have if he had been hurt, Yes I agree with you that a performer should not have to suffer the idiotic behavior of people hurling missiles at them as they perform, but in this case I think Moz should have continued he was not hurt! the offender was removed from the arena! and also there was a crowd of about 8,000 in attendance I believe, 1 asshole who managed to ruin it for the other 7,999 fans in attendance who paid there £35 to see the icon in action, Moz should have taking this into account, that he has such a loyal fan base that are still willing to pay lots (ever increasing amounts of money) to see him live in such financially troubled times, bottom line, he was not seriously hurt, he should have took 5 mins out to compose himself and not let the crowd down.

Here is the report from The M.E.N, with a photo that more or less shows the bottle bounced off the top of his head, and the contents that spilled out would be better described as a splash compared to what hit Bono at Slane.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...issey_abandons_concert_after_fan_throws_drink

I'll be honest, I pretty much skipped right to the article, because you are grossly exaggerating the Slane event. Bono was already drenched from sweat as he usually is. Watch the video before the water even hits him.

A bit of basic physics, however. A projectile plastic bottle of liquid is only marginally less "hard" than a glass bottle of liquid, and no that is not daft. The difference? The glass may actually shatter, whereas the plastic will not. That is the sole, THE SOLE, reason why plastic bottles are permitted and glass bottles are not in concert venues. Because the plastic will not cut anyone, that's it, not because one is harder than the other. The key component, however, is the presence of a liquid. Take the liquid OUT of both bottles, and yes the glass is far "harder" than the plastic.

At any rate, you still maintain that getting splashed from behind with water is worse than getting hit in the forehead with a bottle?

Incredible.

Like I said, I would have just beat the shit out of the asshole and come back in a few. Mind you, I'm not 50.

The only reason I am comparing Bono at Slane to Moz in Liverpool is both performers got wet from someone in their audience throwing something at them, I'm obviously putting the fact that Moz got hit aside as I don't think it had any effect on him, he wasn't hurt, As I stated before it was an issue of been wet from the beer and uncomfortable,

A glass bottle is a solid object it can been thrown alott faster and harder and also it can be thrown further than a plastic bottle full or not, a glass bottle could seriously hurt Moz or anyone else in the arena and also the the risk factor of the bottle smashing is present,

I'm glad Moz didn't take your approach I wouldn't like to see him jump into the audience and beat up a fan, I think he would be letting himself down, It's Moz were talking about not Axl Rose!

Anyway I guess we should stop this silly debate the bottom line is Moz wasn't hurt, the offender was removed, where we differ is I think he should have finished the gig and not let the other 7,999 fans in attendance down,

Anyway on a positive note, I seen the man himself on Monday, Incredible gig!!! great set list, Moz did look very pale and was outta breath badly between songs, he sounded great during the songs tho, except the start of How Soon Is Now where he mumbled the first verse and let the crowd take the chorus, he did get into it later in the song tho, the band were brilliant too, very loud!! almost too loud!!! I think I may have lost an ear drum during HSIN! Jesse really messed up the rhythm on Cemetery Gates he was clearly struggling on that one, very strange venue, The National Stadium, very small intimate and gave the gig a great atmosphere.

Anyway I guess we should stop this silly debate

Yeah I agree.

Anyway on a positive note, I seen the man himself on Monday, Incredible gig!!! great set list, Moz did look very pale and was outta breath badly between songs, he sounded great during the songs tho, except the start of How Soon Is Now where he mumbled the first verse and let the crowd take the chorus, he did get into it later in the song tho, the band were brilliant too, very loud!! almost too loud!!! I think I may have lost an ear drum during HSIN! Jesse really messed up the rhythm on Cemetery Gates he was clearly struggling on that one, very strange venue, The National Stadium, very small intimate and gave the gig a great atmosphere.

Glad you had a good time. Mine is not far off... Wednesday! I have 3rd row seats behind the pit so I'm really excited. :hyper:

Yeah I agree.

Glad you had a good time. Mine is not far off... Wednesday! I have 3rd row seats behind the pit so I'm really excited. :hyper:

Thanks Sicy, I certainly did have a great time! Moz was as magnetic and impressive as ever, with his usual classic wit,

some quotes from the night,

"We arrived in from Munich yesterday on Aer Fungus, (Aer Lingus) and we realized something about Aer Fungus, which is that..... they don't like people very much. We will never travel by Aer Fungus again. I will sail, I will swim, I will walk...."

"Is there anyone here from Swords tonight? (crowd shouts yes) That means we're all going to get mugged"

"We went for a drink with Damien Dempsey last night.... after two sweet sherry's we had to put him in a taxi"

"My entire family is from here, so on behalf of them, and me, I'd like to say.... yis have been feckin' lovely"

He also passed the mic to someone in the front row, who said "You look great, you sound great, and Dublin is very lucky to have you tonight." After taking the mic back, he walked across the stage and said "That's my son"

When introducing Jesse, he said "We're not quite sure what he does"

Someone shouted up at the stage about Omagh and the Top of the Town pub, Moz said "Omagh? Boz, that's a question for you to answer". Boz laughed and said "I remember Omagh"

I hope your gig goes ahead, yours too Carek, he has been incredible the 5 times I've seen him before, he truly is one of the best in the business! (imo)

Another fave of mine, Damien Dempsey! :love:

I know, I Can't wait to see Moz live.....I am counting the days! Wish my digital camera wasn't broken, better brush up on how to use the camera/vid on the new iPhone!!

In gearing up for a Morrissey show Dec 8th, I've had my Morrissey/Smiths Playlist on shuffle:

1. Black Cloud
2. Girlfriend in a Coma
3 This Charming Man
4. Asleep
5. Redondo Beach
6. Dear God Please Help Me
7. You Have Killed Me
8. Sing your Life
9. I'm OK By Myself
10. Unhappy Birthday

So wow what a great show! So glad I finally got to see him. I was pretty close to the stage so I got some good pics. I'll post the set list as soon as I can find it. There were a couple of songs I didnt know, I think from the Swords album. But everyone went nuts when he played Smiths songs of course. Ask, Is it really so stange? How soon is now, Cemetry Gates. I would have loved to hear more songs from Viva Hate but cant complain. He sounded great and was in good spirits.

Everything was so fine and mellow until the end when a bunch of idiots decided to rush the stage. A few were able to grab Moz but for the most part his bodyguards were on top of it, throwing people off left and right. What really bugged me was the people in the aisle that pretty much trampled a security guard trying to get to the front. That pissed me off. It was all seated with a small GA pit in the front so all night they were trying to keep people out of the aisle. Mayham at the end and Moz left without saying goodbye, but hey at least he got through a whole show lol. He was very chatty during the show and made jokes and accepted gifts from fans. Pretty short set, just over an hour on stage. Going to pic spam in the next couple posts.

DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

Glad that you finally got to see him, Sicy. I see that he has not yet deviated from the jeans / solid dress shirt look. When I saw him earlier this year, he threw the shirt into the crowd at the end of the set, nearly causing a riot.

Yeah I thought he did that at every show, but he didnt last night. There was enough of a riot at the end without him throwing the shirt lol.

Awesome pics. It's funny how in the Smiths days I sorta think of Morrissey as a bit of an arty pansy (not in a bad way, just my take on how he portrayed himself), and with age he kind of looks like a bad ass.

I was a little paranoid about video taping so that's why the clips are so short. They told us before the show that we could take all the pics we want but no video taping. Security was right in front of me too though looking back they probably were more concerned at the crazies that kept trying to come up to the front than someone video taping.

Awesome pics. It's funny how in the Smiths days I sorta think of Morrissey as a bit of an arty pansy (not in a bad way, just my take on how he portrayed himself), and with age he kind of looks like a bad ass.

Haha totally. He looks like a distinguished bad ass now. :hmm:
His facial expressions were making me laugh too. He crinkles his face and closes his eyes a lot.

Your vids are great, Sicy, thanks for sharing those. I hope he doesn't end up cancelling on the 8th, I will be so so so disappointed. I've not got the greatest seat and my digital camera broke but may try to get some pics and or vid on my iPhone. I just hope he doesn't cancel!!!!!!

Morrissey On Lopez Tonight - Dec 9th
Attention US fans - next week Morrissey will be the musical guest on 'Lopez Tonight', the new late night show from comedian George Lopez.

The show goes out on Wednesday December 9th, on TBS at 11pm pst/est, and 10pm cst.

Tune in.

OMG I can cross of another item from my Things to Do Before I Die listing. Morrissey. Amazing. Enjoyed the night, so worth the cab fare and $100 the night cost me. Didn't take any pics or video, just went and thoroughly enjoyed absorbing as much as I could. He was amazingly chatty, interacting with the lively crowd between songs, thanking people for gifts even apologizing to San Diego for having canceled tour dates here before. All in all the show seemed to go by much too quickly, but I had an amazing time! (The venue was so-so and as is typical at such venues staff was unorganized and half-assed.)

Set List:
This Charming Man :heart:
Black Cloud
When Last I Spoke To Carol
How Soon Is Now?
Ganglord
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Is It Really So Strange?
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Death At One's Elbow
Teenage Dad On His Estate
Because Of My Poor Education
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?
Cemetry Gates
The Loop
Ask
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
I'm OK By Myself **I :heart: this song even more now!
First Of The Gang To Die

Glad to hear you got great shows and enjoyed them Sicy & Carek, I think the set list was the same as my gig, which I thought was a pretty good mix, I agree Sicy I wish he would perform tunes from earlier in his solo career! Viva Hate :love:, He threw his shirt into the crowd at the Dublin gig, at the very end, during the "Gimme No More, Gimme No More's" outro of SISMS, so maybe the riot turned him off doing it, pity,

Thanks for posting the pics and videos there great!!!
Can't wait to see the Lopez interview tonight!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:
I hope this isn't the end for Mozza!!! :|:|:|

Back
Top Bottom