Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listening to "Sacrilege" for the second time this morning. Yes.

I love the guitar that comes in in the chorus. First appears right around the 1:00 minute mark. Sounds like The Stone Roses. Yes.

I'm beginning to think this US tour is going to be festivals only.. They just announced another festival.. Hangout Festival on May 19.

C'mon guys where are your headling shows?????????????????:angry:

Album tracklist:
02 Subway

This is the new track they played when I saw them in January. I really, really liked it. It's very quiet, moody and a bit unnerving. At least it was live.

Heard 'Sacrilege' for the first time just now. It's ok. Not bad. But as far as lead singles go, I liked 'Zero' way, way more. The ending with the choir is pretty cool though.

I read that interview/article, I think someone here posted, from Pitchfork where she says that this album is more back-to-basics/lo-fi than their past couple. If I remember correctly, she said she was in the mood to go all the way back to their beginning style of the first EP (with 'Art Star' on it), but that when you're in a band, you don't always get to do what you would like to do.

Excited for this album; I love this band!

My friend just texted me, telling me this has leaked. I'm waiting for a link now.

[EDIT: Ok, since I rarely download leaks, I'm not sure the Interference policy on posting links to them, but my friend just emailed me the link. If anyone is interested, just let me know.]

I really like this album. Not a lot of standouts for me yet, but great textures and sustained mood while mixing it up enough to keep you interested. Not as radical a departure as It's Blitz was, but very nicely crafted. Reminds me a bit of their moodier work, like Is Is.

They've announced a Tinley Park, IL show for June 29 on their website so I'm going to pick up tickets for that the second I can.

I agree, LM. I actually think it's their quietest work yet, which is funny given the album title and cover.

'These Paths' was the standout for me. And I really liked 'Slave'. 'Mosquito' was good too. The only one I didn't care for all that much was 'Area 52'.

I think this album is a good blend of the more electronic-based "It's Blitz!" with the more thoughtful, contemplative rock of "Show Your Bones" (which I still feel is greatly underrated).

I like it. Can't wait to see them again in a couple weeks!

On my first listen this hadn't made much of an impression until I got to Despair. Holy crap. THAT is a song. Actually reminded me of listening to Fever To Tell and hearing Maps for the first time.

3tq2wx.jpg

In an interview with Spin, the band say that one of the single biggest inspirations for this album was Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Zinner calls the West record "a masterpiece" (he praises Watch the Throne, too) and says Fantasy and the Anika LP "jumped out as being totally fucking outsider, left-of-the-box music. They didn't sound like anything else that I'd heard."

Karen admits that she had been a Kanye hater, "Which makes it even more poignant." She pauses and sings the opening bars of the leadoff track, "Dark Fantasy," from West's album: "Can we get much higher?" Her face is overtaken by serene awe. "It's so soulful, and I love soul," she says. "The vibe lifted me out of the mundane and took me somewhere else, man. And it stuck out like a sore thumb. It's a work of art. It's a record. It was a moment of clarity. His signal was crystal clear and we all got it. One of the last records that made me feel that way was Under Construction by Missy Elliott."

Left of center and out of the box at the same time. :up:

I agree with every word there. The album doesn't bear out those influences, but OK.

I listened to their three studio albums this morning, and while I feel they have yet to release an album with high-quality songs from end to end, each of them has some absolute stunners. Maps, Gold Lion, and Zero are especially hot tracks. Looking forward to the new one.

Mostly agree, though I think It's Blitz! is pretty solid front to back. They may be the best singles band of the best decade. I could probably string together a 12-15 song comp that would be absolutely killer.

Maps, Zero and Y Control are my 3 favorite tunes by the band. I have found all of their albums to be really uneven, at least to my ears. No really great album in the bunch but a decent amount of strong songs in total. Agreed with Bollox, could probably piece together a compilation that would be kick-ass.

The triple J link worked for me. Of course it would do, wouldn't it.

I've always been agnostic on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Usually like them when I hear them, rarely make any overt effort to hear them. I like this new album. Some of it is utter bollocks, but high-energy bollocks. Despair is a very good song, and so is Subway.

Back
Top Bottom