Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoyed this. Highly inconsistent, and it really does feel like the sequel to Hot Fuss (not mention countless other '80s revival casualties circa 2005) to me at times, but it develops something of its own identity by the end. It's stylish, fun, but hardly a modern classic. Glad I spent 41 minutes on it though.

Highlights:

Zero
Soft Shock
Dull Life

Lowlights:

Heads Will Roll
Skeletons

Skeletons is inoffensive, but there are so many other tracks that are better. The only one I feel that flat-out sucks is Heads Will Roll. It has little melody or force. It's just kind of there.

I think that second side could be really awesome, but it slipped past me the first time.

I've listened to it three times now, I definitely am liking what I hear, especially Hysteric.

So, uh, anyone got the album-only iTunes track Faces? :shifty: :heart:

Those acoustic versions of they have up sound pretty cool. Interesting that the YYY's two creative impulses for some of these songs were synths/electro blips vs. sparse acoustic guitar/strings.

After full listen #2, I must say that I agree with my colleagues Ashley and GAF; Hysteric is fantastic. Didn't really notice it the first time through. Now my three favorites are as follows:

1. Zero (Elastica's "Connection" for the 21st century)
2. Hysteric ("you suddenly complete me" :love: )
3. Soft Shock (wanders around a bit, but its melody is a stunner)

Oddly enough, even though I love the above quasi-ballads, Little Shadow and Skeleton do nothing for me. That ambient sound is all the rage right now, and YYY loses their personality when they indulge in that kind of thing. Karen O is a great singer, but she absolutely nails tracks like Zero, Dull Life, and Shame And Fortune. Anyway, as I said before, lots of great stuff, a handful of clunkers, but it's polished, fun, and generally a good time.

I think I prefer the Acoustic version of Skeleton, but, in general, there's really nothing on the album I flat-out dislike.

(And I'm glad you like Hysteric! :D)

Even though it's not much different than the original, I'm enjoying their cover of 'Sheena Is a Punk Rocker' from the War Child charity compilation.

I finally took this for a couple of spins today. I'm digging it. While I don't think anything reaches the heights of Zero, it's still very good. The only song I haven't been able to get into is Dragon Queen, but then again, it's only been two listens.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Hi Guys!....just listen to Yeah Yeah Yeah new album..and is really good!!

The Rolling Stone review mention U2 in the new Yeah Yeah Yeah album....It's Blitz

"Ballads like the Celtic–flavored "Skeletons" and "Little Shadow," with its swelling church–organ strains, lean toward the grandeur of U2"

cool!

God, the acoustic versions are so fantastic. I wish they'd do an entire album like that.

That's not to say I don't adore all of It's Blitz. I most certainly do.

This might be my favorite of the year now. Yikes.

The string arrangement on the acoustic "Little Shadow" is lovely, but for some reason its the only acoustic version I don't prefer to its album counterpart. The other three? Good golly.

This might be my favorite of the year now. Yikes.

The string arrangement on the acoustic "Little Shadow" is lovely, but for some reason its the only acoustic version I don't prefer to its album counterpart. The other three? Good golly.

Ditto. Right now its between this and Metric for my favourite album of the year.

Back
Top Bottom