Yahoo makes "Top 20 albums - for real" list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, though the fact that it is admittedly US-centric undermines it's real-ness. If you took Europe into greater consideration, it would contrast starkly I reckon.

Stevie Wonder number one....I personally find his songs a real bore, but whatever floats yer boats....

My thoughts are, Michael should be Number 1 – as Thriller is unf****king believable to listen to!
Beatles should not have two albums in the top 10.
Stevie Wonder? No!
Nirvana, George Michael and Prince should be a lot higher.
Otherwise I agree with Fleetwood, Pink Floyd, Eagles being there.

If Guns and Roses are there, so should an album by BS.

I really expected MJ at 1, and SgT Pepper album in there instead.

The list was assembled by a guy who thought this looked cool:

yradish_header.jpg

Yeah.

Interesting, though the fact that it is admittedly US-centric undermines it's real-ness. If you took Europe into greater consideration, it would contrast starkly I reckon.

1. The list is based on the American market - I did this only because I had mounds of detailed data on the American music market at hand- to include the whole world or even Europe would increase the complexity of the analysis greatly - So this is really the "Top 20 Albums of All Time (To Americans)"

If that helps.

I'm not going to say what should have been where, because who fucking cares....but, Stevie Wonder has an amazing voice and his work in the 70's was fucking phenomenal.

The guy's using a mathematical formula, it's not subjective or exact science. I agree with his choices here because those albums are incredibly successful and fit the criteria of his mathematical findings. If anything, I would've thought the top 3 would've been Dark Side, Thriller, Key of Life.

Stevie Wonder number one....I personally find his songs a real bore, but whatever floats yer boats....

Four Grammys for Album of the Year in the span of five years means he floated a lot of boats back in the day. And he's certainly a better writer/singer/musician than Michael Jackson.

If you're ever right about anything, it will be a cold day in hell.

for someone who aims at making this somehow objective by adding a mathematical formula I think he does a bit of a sucky job

my 2 main problem are:
- due to his formula no album released in the last 10 years would even stand a chance to make the list
no matter how great an album is since downloading started no album was ever gonna sell anywhere near the amount of the albums mentioned here

- equating an album price to staying power doesn't make that much sense to me
it says more about the strategy of the record company

and I think I can think of some other factors that make me doubt whether this could be called objective

besides, alone the lack of Pet Sounds already shows this list is crap

Four Grammys for Album of the Year in the span of five years means he floated a lot of boats back in the day. And he's certainly a better writer/singer/musician than Michael Jackson.

Clown, all i meant was that I have never experienced any enjoyment in listening to his songs, they bore me (like Coldplay bore you), that is all. And I'm surprised you of all people would hold up the Grammys as a valid reflection on what the best music goin' around is.

You still clinging on to your bigoted view that music taste is all about fact rather than subjectivity?

I didn't read the guy's "formula" in detail, but scanning the list, I'd expect to see the titles he listed. Maybe not in the same order though, and yes, maybe a few are missing.

:shrug:

Clown, all i meant was that I have never experienced any enjoyment in listening to his songs, they bore me (like Coldplay bore you), that is all. And I'm surprised you of all people would hold up the Grammys as a valid reflection on what the best music goin' around is.

You still clinging on to your bigoted view that music taste is all about fact rather than subjectivity?

I would never point to a Grammy win as some kind of indicator. But 4? For Album of the Year? In 5 years? That means SOMETHING.

There is an element of subjectivity, but there's also consensus. Stevie Wonder is widely regarded as a brilliant singer and composer who was WAY ahead of his time musically (for example, the synth/looping stuff done by Townshend on Who's Next was something Stevie had already experimented with). He's a legend that really doesn't need someone like me to defend him, or Grammies to validate him.

That a pioneer of r&b (and pop, and funk) bores you says more about your limited taste than it does about any kind of relativism with regard to me not liking Coldplay, who are a bland imitation of better artists. Stevie Wonder is a true original.

Have you ever seen Stevie Wonder's house?

You fucking asshole... that cracked me up.

Yeah... when a list that takes "staying power" and "popularity" into consideration and a guy like Stevie Wonder makes the list, who's to argue?

You're a jerk.

That a pioneer of r&b (and pop, and funk) bores you says more about your limited taste than it does about any kind of relativism with regard to me not liking Coldplay, who are a bland imitation of better artists. Stevie Wonder is a true original.

Pioneers are innovators, and not necessarily the best-sounding - I might prefer what I've heard from those inspired by Wonder than Wonder himself. Mind you this whole argument is ridiculous seein' as I'm judging Wonder from his hits alone, but from a personal view, Superstition especially is just toxic to my ear, a song I've never enjoyed, but turned radios off because of it. Just personally....

Insult my music taste if that's how ya get yer kicks, but Wonder has never provided me with a sound to listen deeper into his discography, and that's not my fault, or his fault, or anyone's fault....

I didn't read the guy's "formula" in detail, but scanning the list, I'd expect to see the titles he listed. Maybe not in the same order though, and yes, maybe a few are missing.

:shrug:
I wouldnt have predicted 4 Led Zep albums in there though

I do own that Stevie Wonder album and I enjoy it immensely
but really, I was surprised given the guy's formula that it was in the top 5
let alone #1

I think I can objectively state that his objective formula is balls
:D

Guns 'N Roses, Van Halen, Nirvana...I'm sad for U2 and the Beatles being on here.

Back
Top Bottom