Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vaudeville Villain (which preceded Madvillainy by 9 months) is my second favorite thing he's done with a huge gap after that. His solo debut Operation: Doomsday is exceptional too though. I dunno, The Mouse and the Mask is a funny, breezy listen with a couple really great standouts, but it's more for fans or someone who wants a laugh.

So I listened to Accordion, Raid and Fancy Clown. I loved Accordion until the rapping began. You did warn us, but it kind of ruined it for me though I still appreciate the accordion a lot. I just wish I liked, or at least found even mildly interesting, what he was saying. Really liked Fancy Clown, though.

I've had the album since the day it was released in 2004, liked it quite a bit then, but the only songs I've gone back to much in the last 8 years are Strange Ways and All Caps (I like both of those quite a bit still). To paraphrase Morrissey, I've come to the conclusion in the last few years that 99% of hip hop music says nothing to me about my life. I don't connect with the majority of it, particularly a lot of the "artists of the moment", and I'm ok with not trying to.

To paraphrase Morrissey, I've come to the conclusion in the last few years that 99% of hip hop music says nothing to me about my life. I don't connect with the majority of it, particularly a lot of the "artists of the moment", and I'm ok with not trying to.

Precisely how I feel, so that the music itself has to be pretty special to me in order to connect with it. I'll have to check those two songs out.

Well, Aphex Twin says nothing to me about my life.

Nor does the Godfather.

Still valuable artistic work.

Well, Aphex Twin says nothing to me about my life.

Nor does the Godfather.

Still valuable artistic work.

Nothing was said or implied about dismissing its artistic value, just that there often isn't enough to connect with that inspires a great deal of repeated listening.

Ah, my reading comprehension failed me. I thought mofo was implying that he's better off not trying any new hip-hop (which is absurd), not that he's better off assuming it won't connect with him and instead just appreciating it on an intellectual level.

When you guys are raving about a hip hop record, I generally give it a try though it's not what I gravitate towards naturally by any means. Most of it I still don't connect with, but occasionally I am surprised or even blown away (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy) so I stay open.

Yeah, I was more or less just saying that I'm ok these days with not trying to force myself to like something if it's just not something I care for. As weird as it is to say, it's been liberating.

Probably the first thing I learned about music (besides that it's fun and makes me feel good) is that it can be a bridge to strange new places and new ideas. The kind of "that's over there and I'm over here and art can't bridge the gap between them" mentality doesn't make sense to me.

BUT, I don't really relate to sleazy hair metal songs about douchebags boning chicks when I hear them on classic rock stations, so I don't usually go back to them. I feel them, they have a certain visceral quality, but I'm not moved by them or anything. And there's always the over the top thrash metal about demons and wizards and shit. So maybe that's my weak spot. Of course, I often liken a good album to a good novel. They need to take me somewhere. Illmatic is a fucking great collection of stories, for instance. If we're following that analogy, the rock songs I alluded to are pulpy trash, or maybe a pamphlet. If anything is evocative enough, I'll probably find it worth returning to.

Really though, that's just me. I don't know anyone who puts greater emphasis on lyrics than I do. Hip-hop beats are seldom intriguing enough to make up for the lyrics if you just can't get yourself in that frame of mind.

You should listen to some Dalek, mofo. It's basically shoegaze, but with beats. Weird shit.

Lyrics are like the added bonus for me in a lot of ways. I mean I can't understand a thing Justin Vernon is singing about half the time but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of Bon Iver.

For most of my life, I have "connected" most with bands whose lyricists I can relate to in some way. Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Smiths, U2, and The National have all fallen into that camp at some point or another. The atmosphere can also make the connection, which is a major part of why I love late-60s Miles Davis so much. Striking me with both the lyrics and the atmosphere is something that only a few artists have done. Only Floyd and Radiohead immediately come to mind there.

And Cobbler, your post has inspired me to seek out this Madvilliany joint.

For most of my life, I have "connected" most with bands whose lyricists I can relate to in some way. Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Smiths, U2, and The National have all fallen into that camp at some point or another. The atmosphere can also make the connection, which is a major part of why I love late-60s Miles Davis so much. Striking me with both the lyrics and the atmosphere is something that only a few artists have done. Only Floyd and Radiohead immediately come to mind there.

And Cobbler, your post has inspired me to seek out this Madvilliany joint.

Great lyrics usually make artists/albums my favourites too. U2, Floyd, Radiohead, Quadrophenia, Aja...

:up:

iYup, if you like Madvillainy, be sure to check out Madlib's solo album Shades of Blue. He was given the rights to the Blue Note catalogue and the results are terrific.

Alright, I'm going to finally post something in here, and it's going to be pretty whatever I feel like saying, so I apologize if it's a little rambly, but here we go:

Two years ago, I fell head over heals in love with Big Country. I have heard The Crossing, Steeltown and The Seer and they are all three albums I would probably place in my top 50 albums of all time.

I've posted about this a lot more lately because it's come up a couple of times, but Stuart Adamson killing himself may be one of the most difficult things I have ever had to rectify in my life.

The reason I am bringing this up right now is because I just went on one of those magical wonderful Youtube journeys. First, I read Intedomine's review of Morrissey. That led me to want to hear the instrumental version of "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want". Then, I remembered that was by Dream Academy, so I went to listen to "Life in a Northern Town" which had a live version of "In a Big Country" as a related video. I have been incapable of listening to that song without getting incredibly emotional ever since finding out about Adamson killing himself very soon after falling in love with the band. It's one of my favorite songs ever written, so you can imagine how difficult an experience listening to that song can be fore me, and how often I still find myself turning to it.

So take that look out of here it doesn't fit you
Because it's happened doesn't mean you've been discarded
Pull up your head off the floor (come up screaming)
Cry out for everything you ever might have wanted
I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered
But you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered
I'm not expecting to grow flowers in a desert
But I can live and breathe
And see the sun in wintertime

In a big country dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside
Stay alive
Stay alive
Stay alive

But, the reason I'm here now is because that live version of "In A Big Country" had a full live show as a related video, so I clicked it thinking I'd listen to a song or two. I ended up "watching" the whole thing.

I was "watching" because really, I listened to it and flipped over from time to time, because I just couldn't bare looking at that man's smiling face. It's just too hard.

And then...the very end of the show, even not playing "In a Big Country", he introduced the other members of the band, said thank you for letting us share with you our songs and then said, "Stay alive" and left.

I just want to scream in frustration when I think about it. How can an artist ask for other people to have that outlook on life, that no matter how hard things may seem, you have to push through because things will get better when he did what he did?

Alcoholism and depression are terrible things, that's all I can take from this. I just wish it hadn't happened and I wish I could enjoy a band I love in peace, but you can't really care about an artist without bringing their baggage along with you, I suppose.

Ah, anyways, I guess I just wanted to type this all out to get it out of my head, even a little bit.

I have to admit that it did take me a little while to come around to The Soft Bulletin. It's not that it's inaccessible; it's probably their most accessible in fact, at least from what I've heard. But so much praise has been heaped upon it over the years, and aside from "Race for the Prize" - the song that makes an impending apocalypse seem like not such a bad thing after all - and "The Spark That Bled" I just didn't see what was so special about it.
The first thing that made me appreciate the album more was when I purchased the album for the second time on vinyl. When I first bought it, on CD, it had the following tracklisting:

Race for the Prize
A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
The Spark That Bled
Slow Motion
What is the Light?
The Observer
Waitin' for a Superman
Suddenly Everything Has Changed
The Gash
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
Sleeping on the Roof
Race for the Prize (Watered Down Mokran Remix)
Waitin' for a Superman (Watered Down Mokran Remix)
Buggin'

It always bothered me for some reason. But the vinyl version has the following tracklisting, including the addition of "The Spiderbite Song", Wayne's tribute to Stephen Drozd surviving a heroin addiction and Michael Ivins surviving a car crash.

Race for the Prize
A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
The Spark That Bled
The Spiderbite Song
Buggin'
What is the Light?
The Observer
Waitin' for a Superman
Suddenly Everything Has Changed
The Gash
Slow Motion
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
Sleeping on the Roof

I much prefer this tracklisting. "Spiderbite" and "Buggin'" ensure the vibe remains light and upbeat after the first three tracks, whereas the CD version stacks the deck; after "Slow Motion" you have to wait until "The Gash" before it picks up again. Sure, it's exactly the same after "Buggin'" on the vinyl version, but by then the change in pace is more welcome, and "Slow Motion" is a welcome addition to the backend of the record.

So the vinyl tracklisting for me is infinitely superior. But I think the biggest turning point for me was watching the DOCO that Pitchfork did with the band about the album around this time last year. Wayne telling the story behind "Spiderbite" was very poignant, and I recall there being a part devoted to "Waitin' for a Superman". The Soft Bulletin is a very touching album about humanity and "Superman" is perhaps the best encapsulation of the optimistic pessimism that the album portrays so well. I think Wayne was talking about this idea that everyone has moments where they feel the weight of the world on their shoulders, but don't forget that Superman does as well. It was a song that I had always been pretty meh about in the past; along with "Race for the Prize" it was the only other song from the album I'd heard of, and when I finally did hear it, a slow number that doesn't have the euphoric synths and reverb of "Prize", I was a little let down. But once I really got the lyrics, it turned me around, and now instead of viewing as another slow number in the middle of the record I see it as a genuine highlight of the band's catalogue. And boy oh boy does it flow well into "Suddenly Everything Has Changed".

I won't bang on about the rest of the album except to say that hot damn is the production great. And the album cover is one of my favourite of all time. Just wanted to share a story about one of those moments where the penny drops.

One of the reasons I love Hot Chip so much is because they are so unique, at least in the "dance" genre. Ever since they began, with an album called Coming On Strong that no one has ever heard of, they've had a quirkiness to them that has separated them from the pack, been the difference between them being one of my all-time favourites and just another dance/rock/pop band.

The focus of this little post is on one part of that uniqueness - their humour. Hot Chip might be one of the funniest bands going around, and they continue to be so more than a decade after forming.

Going back to their debut studio album, Coming on Strong. This record, whilst admittedly the weakest of their five studio efforts (though it's more cohesive than Made in the Dark), has a lot of really personable moments that make it worthwhile.

There's this track, which has a cheeky little bleep beat going on

hot chip-keep falling - YouTube

Which features lines like "Nothing's new forever can't you see I'm just a sucker / I'm like Stevie Wonder but I can see things" ... "Give up all you suckers we're the tightest motherfuckers / and you never seen this type of shit before now / you peeling potatoes while we sonic alligators / making records sellin' like we smoking crack now" ... "Lately I've been staring in the mirror wondering how the hell does Stevie Wonder see things", which crack me up. But it's also got this really nice breakdown in the middle where the title of the song is repeated, and Hot Chip have used this trick repeatedly, of mixing hilarious lyrics with really good sentimental, melancholic music.

Another track on the album is called Down With Prince and opens with the line "I'm sick of motherfuckers trying to tell me that they're down with Prince". But one of my two favourite tracks on the record (along with Bad Luck, which itself features the hilarious line "Bad luck you got in my ring / you dance like you've got an unenviable case of ring-sting" in a gorgeous, atmospheric slow jam. Not to mention the line "who let the dogs out?" and "fuck you / you fucking fucker") is Crap Kraft Dinner.

hot chip - crap kraft dinner - YouTube

It's probably the most accomplished song on the record, along with Bad Luck, and points towards the direction they'd take on The Warning and Made in the Dark. It's got a slow, dark, melancholic beat and whilst it's not specifically funny, the chorus is quite touching and unique in its portrayal of a relationship gone sour.

All you have left is one Kraft dinner
That I brought back for you last summer
All you have left is one reminder
Of the time we spent when I was blind

All you can taste is that one Kraft dinner
That I prepared when your chances were slimmer
All you can hear is my refusal
Cos I haven't got the time for a jerk-off loser

Next came The Warning. "Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal" (Over & Over). "Hot Chip will break your legs / snap off your head / Hot Chip will put you down / under the ground", juxtaposed with another slow, slinky, melancholic beat/vocal on the title track.

Excuse me miss I'm a dog on heat
I'm a complicated being with love songs to beat
I'm a problem solving baby who could march all night
I'm a mechanical music man and I'm starting a fight

Hot Chip - The Warning - YouTube

Third studio album was Made in the Dark. Spotty, inconsistent, incoherent album with some of their best work mixed with some ordinary ballads. One of the more popular tracks on the album was Shake a Fist, which features a hyper video-game breakdown

Hot Chip - Shake A Fist - YouTube

The crunching Touch Too Much has the chorus line "When you said 'it's a touch too much' I knew, I knew / That I'd be walking home again". And while it's not my favourite track on the album, Wrestlers is definitely a highlight. The film clip features James Murphy (wearing a DFA shirt suggesting it stands for "Downtown Fight Academy") and lead singer Alexis Taylor looking hilariously not tough. The whole song uses wrestling metaphors for a relationship.

It's me versus you in love
We'll tag team, double up
Hit you in the sweet spot
And make you wish you'd coughed up

The gloves are off
The gloves are off
It's me you've messing round
Taking us a man down
While you've got us on the ropes
We've planned to play the mess around
He's technically trained
You've got him buckled up
And he will misbehave
You weigh bigger than a train
But I've got the power and the glory
In my boardy brains

The gloves are off
The gloves are off
So why'd you go and have to fight dirty?
Don't fight dirty, don't hit me with the chair
The gloves are off
So why'd you go and have to fight dirty?
Don't fight dirty, don't bat me in the face
The gloves are off

Now what you gonna do when I come for you
With all I've got?
I've got a roll of coins, I'm aiming for your loins
And I will never stop

I learned all I know from watching the wrestling
I think you think I'm about to throw the towel in

Here comes Floor Jack
Watch your back, watch your back
He'll charm you with a double-axe
And then he brings the tie attacks
He's not dressed for a cage
He's robed in garments strictly for another age

Here we come, drop kick
Half nelson, full nelson,
Willie Nelson, Willie Nelson
Body slam, suplex,
Headlock, somer-slam
Elbow drop, jelly-flop
Cage match, grudge match
...intelligible...
Ooh, ooh

It's me versus
Me versus me versus me versus me versus me

I learned all I know from watching the wrestling
I think you think I'm about to throw the towel in
Everyone knows Monday night means wrestling

I've underlined bits because it's another great example of Hot Chip mixing funny, unique lyrics with great, affecting music. Have a listen, it's terrific.

HOT CHIP - WRESTLERS - YouTube

One Life Stand I wasn't particularly a fan of, but I need to revisit it after coming to love In Our Heads, because I was probably too harsh on it. Anyway, the video for I Feel Better is an absolute classic, Hot Chip replaced by an impostor boy band before everyone is vanquished. Fucking hilarious

Hot Chip - I Feel Better - YouTube

Alley Cats is another song with music that suggests fairly serious subject matter, but once again it's Hot Chip talking love with their unique bent.

Two people are alley cats
We have an unhappy cat
He is restless, needs attention
Loses patience, seeks affection

I can't think of any funny lines from In Our Heads off the top of my head, but the video for Flutes is a trip.

Hot Chip - Flutes - YouTube

Thanks for reading :D

I love Blur's album 13 so much. Most fans seem to gravitate towards Parklife or their self-titled. But I drift towards 13 for some many different reasons and I am here to share with you why. First of all, I believe it's

the most unique and diverse piece of work they have put out so far. The album remindes me of U2's Zooropa with the experimentation and the funky synthesizers and interesting concept ideas displayed throughout

the album. U2 did a wondeful undertaking with the song, "Zooropa" describing the negative effects of advertising. While on the hand, Blur did a fantastic job with "No Distance Left to Run." A song about a despondent acceptance in

a relationship coming to its final hault. But most of all, "Tender" is a little piece of marvelous heaven. A song in a pure form, the backing vocals only add flavor. It's spiritual but witty at the same time. While "Coffee

and TV" is a song I wish I wrote. But my actually favorite song off the album is "Trailerpark" because of the groove and the funky guitar towards the end. And "Caramel" is soothing psychedelic candy to my ears. I could go and

on but 13 will always remain my favorite Blur album. This wasn't "long" but I hope it got my point across. :)

Here's I would personally rate Blur's albums. I can find something to love in every album. And also please keep in mind I also like Leisure more than most fans like.

1. 13 (Top 3 favorite songs: Trailerpark, Tender, Coffee and TV)

2. Modern Life is Rubbish (Advert, Chemical World, Colin Zeal)

3. Parklife (End of a Century, Boy and Girls, London Loves)

4. Leisure (Reptition, Bad Day, Wear Me Down)

5. Blur (Song 2, Beetlebum, You're So Great)

6. Think Tank (Good Song, Crazy Beat, Ambulance)

7. The Great Escape (The Universal, Charmless Man, Entertain Me)

Back
Top Bottom