Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

I still need to listen to College Dropout and Late Registration, neither of which I've heard.

I love Kanye.

cobbler, cobbler, cobbler...

i was going to sit here and ramble on about the importance of the clash's self-titled album (in both its uk original and us singles collection incarnates), however, i'm not really in the mood to do that anymore. gonna go read a book instead.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i was going to sit here and ramble on about the importance of the clash's self-titled album (in both its uk original and us singles collection incarnates), however, i'm not really in the mood to do that anymore. gonna go read a book instead.
Aww. I love that album.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Aww. I love that album.
i don't even skip "remote control." it's not perfect, especially album-wise since i don't even know what the proper album order is anymore. and when you do go with just the straight-up uk track list, you leave off WHITE MAN IN MOTHERFUCKING HAMMERSMITH PALAIS. #1 clash song, somewhere in my top 5 all-time favorite songs. right in front of straight to hell (which is why m.i.a.'s "paper planes" ranks at the #1 most awful thing i've ever heard) and death or glory. i think rudie and garageland would round out a top 5 favorite clash songs list, but that's subject to change and highly dependent on mood or biased toward something that i might be listening to at that very moment.

one of the oddest comments i've ever heard anyone say about early clash is "wow, this isn't really that heavy at all." not because i agree or disagree with that opinion, just because i don't even sort of know what to do with that statement. this was coming from a friend from work. his music knowledge is very...i don't know what to call it. limited. not to mainstream rock radio, or whatever pitchfork's hipster flavor of the day is, but limited to a very strange conglomeration of straight edge hardcore from the 90s and...well, i'm not really sure he knows much more than that. he's really into the national right now because he got caught up in high violet while i was playing the fuck out of that album, on a completely random note, but one night i decided he needed a punk rock history lesson. so in addition to having to re-educate him on all the other (and better in my opinion) hardcore there is out there (which in and of itself is a chore because where to begin? 80s so cal, the DC stuff, NYHC, etc. not being really in the mood to listen to agnostic front or minor threat, i decided ok, i got him really into the national. and his reasoning for liking them is great, because it has to do entirely with that intangible feeling a really awesome song has that makes you need to tell everyone around "omfg this song is soooo goooooooooood," and then feel personally insulted if the person you're talking to is anything less than equally enthusiastic. so i figure well, what's one of the few bands that i feel that strongly about? well, there are a few. but i'd assume most people have heard of them...hmm....what. you don't know any clash songs at all? well, i know what we're going to listen to...

the clash, of course. sure, there are others. and it's not to say that i think everything on all their albums was flawless. at times, sandinista is too long (although i wouldn't trim nearly as much as some people would, and i can also respect the complete epic nature of "oh yeah, well we did the double album thing at normal album price, and other people are doing the double album thing...so we're gonna do a triple album!!!" that too many drugs and too little production oversight spawned. that thing is a beast, but it's a beast with some very, very good highlights), and there is very little off combat rock that i actually enjoy. no, i won't turn the radio off rock the casbah or should i stay are on, but i won't put them on myself. and really, unless you're "straight to hell" i tend to avoid that album as a whole.

now, it's far too easy to go on for paragraphs on end about how great london calling is. there have been many clash threads around these parts in which that has been done (unfortunately, mostly conversations between mofo and myself with random interjections from other people, but usually just us). it's one of those albums that is wholly deserving of its classic status. i'll skip "lover's rock," because it annoys me, but otherwise, everything on there is good. some songs better than others, but i've even warmed up to "the right profile" after not being so much of a fan for a while.

so, the self-titled album. ok, so, when i was in high school i was pretty crazy about the local 60s throwback pop rock scene (despite not being often able to go see any of these bands play because they almost always played 21+ shows). we had a number of excellent record stores in the area, and oddly enough the setting for this story is the only one still in existence in the same building/town as it was 11 or 12 years ago. this used record store had a pretty decent couple shelves of local bands' stuff, and one day i was waiting for some slow couple to migrate away from the country section because they were blocking my access to the local shelves. i don't know why i didn't simply ask them to excuse me, reach in and snag the cd i was going to buy. i would have been out of there in 30 seconds. no idea. and honestly, i never even thought about that until now. and i've definitely thought about this before, because as much as i hate to say it, it's somewhat of a defining moment in my music-listening life. since those two were in my way, i strolled around and looked at other stuff, alphabetically. i got as far as C and thought hmm, the clash. yeah, i'm supposed to know them. i knew that i didn't like "london calling" at the height of my "anyone who says anything negative about the beatles should be tarred and feathered" obsessiveness. i distinctly remember laughing and thinking 'my, i was a silly child when i used to think that. if i had kept that opinion, i never would have realized how awesome rem are.' i don't remember if there were some people standing in front of the Rs, but that might have been what deterred me from filling out whatever had been missing from my rem back catalog at that point. but i knew that rancid, the dropkick murphys, the pogues, bad religion, bouncing souls--my favorite bands at the time--owed a lot to the clash. i'd just read some interview with some band, can't remember exactly who, talking about how they were confused for the longest time over the pronunciation of "garage" in "garageland." so picking through the pile of cds, i went for the album that had that song on it. i figured that if anything, i'd toss it in one of the listen-before-you-buy cd players and check it out.

so yeah, i was sold by the time i got to "deny." for some reason that song clicked as holy shit, need this album now. i'm not sure why, it's far from the best song on the record. but followed up with "london's burning," and "career opportunities," and...the aloha steamtrain, who??? hell, i'd even forgotten about garageland.

it's bugging the hell out of me that i'm pretty sure i've mixed up this trip to the record store with at least one other, and subsequent dinner at my grandma's. i've tried to sort out the years based on well, rancid 2000 came out in...2000, and the dropkicks' sing loud sing proud early 2001, so it could very well have been what saved me from going off on some rant at my ultra-religious great aunt's insane post-sept 11th my-flag-is-bigger-than-your-flag-so-clearly-i-love-america-more-go-USA! i distinctly remember getting some enjoyment out of how angry she would have been if she knew there was a song called "i'm so bored with the usa"--meaning aside, just the title alone would have killed the woman. but it doesn't explain how summer of 2001 i was writing clash lyrics and song titles on clothes with sharpies. and it would have had to be summer 2001 at the latest based on when i had the money to buy a bunch of albums, and the last summer i worked the particular job full of people who laughed at me as i went around doing landscape work with "police and thieves" scrawled on my sleeve. either one sounds like a good argument chronologically speaking, and pokes giant holes in thinking it was the other year. but there are definetly pictures of me from 11th grade playing frisbee in a dropkick murphys shirt, so i have no idea. my concept of time is fucked, and it doesn't really matter.

no, i guess it's not as "heavy," the heaviness in later punk rock coming from a much more prominent bass line or something i guess, and less reggae/dub influenced (once paul simonon learned how to play it, and stopped taping the notes to his fretboard) one. or more distortion on the guitars, mick jones' lead always sounded pretty thin in the mixes, perhaps? i have no idea, because a live performance of "career opportunities" will make that whole argument explode. the self-titled album still sounds...i don't think i want to say fresh...but crisp? ugh, either way it sounds like i'm talking about a fucking head of lettuce. what i'm saying though, is that it doesn't feel worn out even though i've heard it a million times. and even compared to the rest of their stuff, even in regards to certain LC or give em enough rope songs that i like much better than certain self-titled songs, "hate & war" might not hold a candle to "clampdown," but i've still got a slightly more special attatchment to the former. in no way am i making any claims about it being the origins of punk rock, or attempting to discuss any sort of historical merits other than personally it being important to me.

now, let me tell you about how much i fucking loved the mescaleros' albums. i'm not going to say i rival the most rabid u2 fans in bono-idolatry as the clash is to joe strummer, but when he died i definitely did think "shit, joe strummer can't die. gods can't die" for a moment before i realized how ridiculous that sounded. when i was in elementary school, i wanted to be paul mccartney. when i was in high school, i wanted to be joe strummer. i guess that's more like it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

can i write a wall of text, or can i write a wall of text!?

i think there's a phrase for that...tl;dr? oh, yes.

that's as sentimental as i'm likely to get these days. maybe if i'm ever drunk enough, i'll impose on anyone foolish enough to read it why sadly the barenaked ladies were just as important to me at an earlier point in my life, but probably not. yeah, definitely not. i'd have to be really drunk, past the point of being able to type.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Wow.

I don't think I've met anyone extremely into the Clash (with the kids at my school...it's art school...I can never really tell if they're into a band or if it's just cool to them or not mainstream, or something) and they're not one of my all-time favorite bands, but I definitely get how they were changing the genre so to speak. And generally good musicians. I'm imagining it would be a totally different scenario if I'd been musically aware before Joe Strummer died...anyways. It's kinda nice to hear an explanation from someone's pov who's a serious fan. Or at least of that album?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
can i write a wall of text, or can i write a wall of text!?

i think there's a phrase for that...tl;dr? oh, yes.

that's as sentimental as i'm likely to get these days. maybe if i'm ever drunk enough, i'll impose on anyone foolish enough to read it why sadly the barenaked ladies were just as important to me at an earlier point in my life, but probably not. yeah, definitely not. i'd have to be really drunk, past the point of being able to type.
You can write one hell of a wall of text! I love your stories, iDub. Funny how you discover things you end up loving by chance. I discovered Jawbreaker from a webcomic.

There's a term for that level of drunk: "Womanfish drunk".
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

I still need to listen to College Dropout and Late Registration, neither of which I've heard.
Oh my god.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnCatKatie View Post
Wow.

I don't think I've met anyone extremely into the Clash (with the kids at my school...it's art school...I can never really tell if they're into a band or if it's just cool to them or not mainstream, or something) and they're not one of my all-time favorite bands, but I definitely get how they were changing the genre so to speak. And generally good musicians. I'm imagining it would be a totally different scenario if I'd been musically aware before Joe Strummer died...anyways. It's kinda nice to hear an explanation from someone's pov who's a serious fan. Or at least of that album?

definitely the band, not just that album.

hell, i delved into their solo stuff as well. i've been known to dig some big audio dynamite, friggin loved the mescaleros stuff (not so hot on the other strummer solo stuff), and even managed to dig up the havana 3am album on cassette at one point (no, it wasn't really worth it, but i did think it was cool at the time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
You can write one hell of a wall of text! I love your stories, iDub. Funny how you discover things you end up loving by chance. I discovered Jawbreaker from a webcomic.

There's a term for that level of drunk: "Womanfish drunk".

it's not so much that i'd actually have to be shitfaced, more that i'd have to find my way back into that mindset and trust me when i say it's healthier for everyone that i'm not there anymore.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
definitely the band, not just that album.

hell, i delved into their solo stuff as well. i've been known to dig some big audio dynamite, friggin loved the mescaleros stuff (not so hot on the other strummer solo stuff), and even managed to dig up the havana 3am album on cassette at one point (no, it wasn't really worth it, but i did think it was cool at the time).

it's not so much that i'd actually have to be shitfaced, more that i'd have to find my way back into that mindset and trust me when i say it's healthier for everyone that i'm not there anymore.
God, I love The Clash. I so love The Clash. I have Streetcore on my Punk List spreadsheet, too. I should log into that and mark the ones I've listened to.

I know what you mean. I could nerd over so many bands that would get nothing but a WTF? reaction out of everybody else.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #100
The Male

Local Time: 04:49 PM
I know it's a bastardized non-album, but I like the US version of The Clash's debut more than London Calling. Amazing stuff.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 AM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe a mod can move that post to where it belongs, LM.

Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World
Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #102
The Male

I don't care for white people reggae.

I'm assuming that opinion can at least stay here.

Now.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I don't care for white people reggae.

I'm assuming that opinion can at least stay here.
Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me if Interference had a wealth of UB40 fans.

You know, except for the militant types that think they just staight up stole the capital "U" to be used in the bandname.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #104
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk

Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me if Interference had a wealth of UB40 fans.

You know, except for the militant types that think they just staight up stole the capital "U" to be used in the bandname.
Not to mention the numbers. 4 and 0 average out to 2, you know.

Now.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I have yet to hear The Clash's debut, but I do really enjoy the singles from that era. And it seems as though the critical consensus places it at just about the same level of esteem as London Calling.

But LM, how could you prefer the US version? I thought that you were a purist, man.