Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
45:33

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Good-o!

LM my birthday is coming up. Maybe your present to me can be a few paragraphs on Aquemini

Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
The Male

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Good-o!

LM my birthday is coming up. Maybe your present to me can be a few paragraphs on Aquemini
I was already considering it.

Nice to see the solid response so far. People like talking about themselves and things they like, so I figured the thread would be OK.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I will probably be able to do one on U2 when I see them live for the first time in two weeks.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:04 AM
An appreciation of great lyrics in two songs: "Across the Universe" and "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now"

Great lyrics in the sense of emotive, moving word-craft are few and far between in popular music. John Lennon and Steven Morrissey are two writers who deserve to be mentioned alongside the major literary figures of the last fifty years.

I have often said that Lennon's "Across the Universe" is the finest lyrical effort in the history of popular music. The Naked version, stripped of the all the appurtenances and frills of the often atrocious production on Let It Be, allows Lennon's verses to breathe and imbue the listener. Just like the shards of light of which Lennon speaks, however, the message is fractured and highly interpretive. His flair for self-deprecation comes across in his suggestion that the very words he is saying are not worth hearing, yet that sentiment is immediately offset by a transcendental mantra that seeks to achieve complete awareness. The play on meaning is not indicative of confusion, but rather of erudition; one thinks that he may have been reading Wittgenstein based on the manner in which he thinks about the limitations of language as a means of expression.

All of this intellectualism is prevented from becoming self-aggrandizing or pedantic through the visual images that his words paint: ephemera such as sounds and emotions are given tangible associations in the form of pools of water, paper cups, and letter boxes. This combination of the ethereal and the earthly is what gives the song its rarefied poetic quality.

Although a published author as a teenager and a vociferous reader, Morrissey's lyrics tend to be more grounded than those of Lennon. Moz liked - indeed, still likes - to offer sketches of the lives of people around him and to comment on what he sees as the absurdities and sorrows of our daily lives. He is often accused of being morose and solipsistic, but that reading is completely misguided: the "I"s, "me"s, and "we"s in his lyrics refer not to himself, but rather to the people whose lives he is temporarily inhabiting, such as the (I would assume) gay young couple in "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" or the painfully-coy romantic in "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out."

Moz also had a well-developed sense of dark humor, and it is on full display in "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now." The song perfectly encapsulates his rare ability to inject comedy into damning social criticism. Throughout, he skewers the manner in which we expect cultural rites of passage such as employment and socializing to bring us satisfaction. Ultimately, however, the world does not care whether we get a promotion or meet someone at a bar - our lives remain as futile as they were before. And he is right - as he would say over twenty-five years later, "it only hurts because it's true."

The music accompanying the song, however, is nearly jubilant, once again highlighting Moz's willingness to defy expectations and find a unique or challenging juxtaposition wherever possible. As with Across the Universe, the turns of phrase are just memorable enough to stick in one's mind without dulling the message - the mark of a true master.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
The Male

Bought some cheap wine. I may be back.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:04 AM
LM, I should note that I am expecting a tome from you explaining your love for Cheap Trick.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Starting off my sure-to-come succession of posts with an easy one...

My favorite song in the world is One Tree Hill by U2. I swear, they have never written a better song. When I listen I can feel the grief it was born from.

The song is powerful, with a great vocal performance. It brings this aura of darkness, or maybe mystique, in it. I also find the shift from Trip Through Your Wires to One Tree Hill on the Joshua Tree a very perfect match. Every time I listen to the album I get excited- five more songs, four more songs, three more songs... It's also a pleasure to have my least favorite song on the album preluding my favorite.

The layers of this song are deep and haunting. There's the ever-so-subtle bass, those complicated drums, the scratchy guitar that I can hear underneath all this, never fading away, and the other instrumental work- I've never been able to tel what those other instruments are. It sounds like a synth, or likes waves unfolding. But all my praise wil forever go to the vocals. Quite clearly the best part of the song- and recorded in ONE take. How did something so perfect come out of one take? The mind boggles.

Here I find Bono's voice soft and soothing, not over the top like in Bulet The Blue Sky or pleasantly deep like With or Withot You. This is a tone of voice I love. Sounds a bit choked too. The lyrics are poetry, with the continuing "You/It/We run like a river" bringing it all back around. I love the word change on each of the choruses. The lyrical progression is pretty interesting to- from a personal first verse, to a political second verse, to a third verse that seems to blend both themes. In the third verse comes my favorite lines- "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill."

Then, of course, everything changes by the end. The end is phenomenal. "And when it's raining, raining hard... that's when the rain will break my heart..." The guitar turns agressvie and the vocals change from melodic to screechy. I'm still not sure how anyone can scream until a word is no longer a word, it is a sound. Anway, this part is so emotional, I just adore it. "Rain" will never mean the same thing to me again. As the impassioned screaming continues, the song has broken from the ever-building form of the previous verses, and then it's just- silent. This would be the part to turn it off. However, after a moment of silence the words are drawn back in- "Oh great ocean, oh great sea. Run to the ocean, run to the sea." By far this is probably the easiest part of the song to sing, and it's the most powerful of all. I love the emotions conveyed through the vocals. That's when I realize, I have not just listened to a song, I've listened to an epic poem.

Live does the song justice. The screaming is usually dropped out in favor of a killer guitar solo, but in the version from the Point Depot Lovetown show (not sure which one) there's this frenzy of scat-singing, very emotive. It grabs my heart. I freaking love it. I want to die listening to this song, or have it played at my funeral (though I get the idea that the song's exclusive and can't be played for just anyone).

And that's all I have to say about One Tree Hill. Ask for me later, at 11 PM or so, and I'll go into more detail with different music.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #23

one of their very best, and perhaps Bono's best lyric.

That Lovetown version to which you refer, with the impromptu verse at the end, would be in the very upper echelon of their great live moments.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilkenSky View Post
the version from the Point Depot Lovetown show (not sure which one)
26 December 1989, and more to the point of what friggin' Cobbler said, it's the best goddamn five minutes of U2 ever.

PS Since I'm not sure I could have found the right words, thanks for saving me the need to write profusely about One Tree Hill.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #25

do it anyway
Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

I have been inspired to pull out that Dec 26 bootleg. It's aces.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:04 PM
I listen to that one a lot on road trips.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSilkenSky View Post
Starting off my sure-to-come succession of posts with an easy one...

My favorite song in the world is One Tree Hill by U2. I swear, they have never written a better song. When I listen I can feel the grief it was born from.

The song is powerful, with a great vocal performance. It brings this aura of darkness, or maybe mystique, in it. I also find the shift from Trip Through Your Wires to One Tree Hill on the Joshua Tree a very perfect match. Every time I listen to the album I get excited- five more songs, four more songs, three more songs... It's also a pleasure to have my least favorite song on the album preluding my favorite.

The layers of this song are deep and haunting. There's the ever-so-subtle bass, those complicated drums, the scratchy guitar that I can hear underneath all this, never fading away, and the other instrumental work- I've never been able to tel what those other instruments are. It sounds like a synth, or likes waves unfolding. But all my praise wil forever go to the vocals. Quite clearly the best part of the song- and recorded in ONE take. How did something so perfect come out of one take? The mind boggles.

Here I find Bono's voice soft and soothing, not over the top like in Bulet The Blue Sky or pleasantly deep like With or Withot You. This is a tone of voice I love. Sounds a bit choked too. The lyrics are poetry, with the continuing "You/It/We run like a river" bringing it all back around. I love the word change on each of the choruses. The lyrical progression is pretty interesting to- from a personal first verse, to a political second verse, to a third verse that seems to blend both themes. In the third verse comes my favorite lines- "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill."

Then, of course, everything changes by the end. The end is phenomenal. "And when it's raining, raining hard... that's when the rain will break my heart..." The guitar turns agressvie and the vocals change from melodic to screechy. I'm still not sure how anyone can scream until a word is no longer a word, it is a sound. Anway, this part is so emotional, I just adore it. "Rain" will never mean the same thing to me again. As the impassioned screaming continues, the song has broken from the ever-building form of the previous verses, and then it's just- silent. This would be the part to turn it off. However, after a moment of silence the words are drawn back in- "Oh great ocean, oh great sea. Run to the ocean, run to the sea." By far this is probably the easiest part of the song to sing, and it's the most powerful of all. I love the emotions conveyed through the vocals. That's when I realize, I have not just listened to a song, I've listened to an epic poem.

Live does the song justice. The screaming is usually dropped out in favor of a killer guitar solo, but in the version from the Point Depot Lovetown show (not sure which one) there's this frenzy of scat-singing, very emotive. It grabs my heart. I freaking love it. I want to die listening to this song, or have it played at my funeral (though I get the idea that the song's exclusive and can't be played for just anyone).

And that's all I have to say about One Tree Hill. Ask for me later, at 11 PM or so, and I'll go into more detail with different music.
I love:

This thread

This post

This song

Thanks for creating it, LM, and thanks for this post, BlueSilkenSky. This is a top 5 U2 song for me, and, one I never, ever tire of listening to, even 24 years later.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
26 December 1989, and more to the point of what friggin' Cobbler said, it's the best goddamn five minutes of U2 ever.

PS Since I'm not sure I could have found the right words, thanks for saving me the need to write profusely about One Tree Hill.
Oh, thanks for giving me the info! I never knew what date.
Heehee, you're very welcome
Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:04 AM
This thread is great. Love reading all the posts and it makes me want to listen to those particular songs again.

However, I probably won't post in here because I suck at describing music and why I like it.