Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #181
45:33

Local Time: 12:39 AM
How did it affect the band? Did they get better? Worse? Different? Do you think he committed suicide?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Well, they continued making music (thankfully) and their sound evolved, Everything Must Go and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours were vastly different to The Holy Bible in sound and are two bloody great albums if I say so myself. And their work since those albums has been consistently good in my opinion.

They used Richey's unused lyrics for the album Journal For Plague Lovers. I don't know if Richey committed suicide for sure, he had stated that it never felt like an option to him once. He seemed more the sort who'd rather get away from everything and disconnect himself from the part of the world he lived in.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #183

It'd be kinda cool if he was just eking out an existence with some dudes under a bridge somewhere, cut off from the world.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Nice post. Been fortunate enough to not have to do that with any bands I like so far (they've done things I'm not as big a fan of, sure-nobody's perfect, but they've also done more than enough things I love to balance it out), but it's always interesting to hear a fan make statements like this. You argued your case really well. I've heard "Oh Love" a couple times. It's okay. But yeah, not their best.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry to hear about all the crap you went through. I'm glad Green Day helped introduce you to this place and you're happy here . It's been nice getting to know you.
I'm still hoping Oh Love is just the Know Your Enemy of Uno. They don't always pick the best lead single for their albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I'm sorry to read that, Reggo - breaking up with bands that have been with you through tough times, and in some ways have helped define the person you've become must surely be terrible. The closest I've gone that way is the couple of times I've abandoned U2, only to come back to them, without fail. Each time I've come back to them, it's been from rediscovering things from their back catalogue, not concentrating on what they've become. I suppose that's a fairly obvious thing to consider, but in any case, best wishes in your post-GD life! Enjoy your newfound freedom, and don't let it get you down. Onwards!
Well, that's an idea. I mean, I have all of their officially-released stuff. I've never heard of them having finished, unreleased tracks like Mercy or Flower Child or alternate takes like Native Son or Xanax and Wine. Not because I don't think they don't exist, but I've never gone looking for them and wouldn't know where to start. Well, that's not entirely true. I have one unreleased track from them. After Billie got arrested for DUI, Tre wrote a really funny, but really scathing song about people driving drunk. It was blocked from the official release of Shenanigans, but ended up on Japanese bootlegs somehow and I have that.

Oh, why couldn't I have fallen out of love with My Chemical Romance or something? Something Something Killjoys is a trainwreck, and they're approaching Spinal Tap levels of absurdity with having a new drummer for every album. But maybe that's why I like it, they're absurd in a lot of ways. Green Day doesn't have, like, a Zooropa or an Unforgettable Fire for me. The don't have some gem in their past that when I look at all of this, I can say, "But _____ was amaze-balls."
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #185
Blue Meth Addict

Warning had some pretty cool songs.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #186
Blue Crack Addict

True. I really like Insomniac, too. It doesn't get as much attention or love as their other albums, but I think it's pretty damn cool.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Brilliant post. The Holy Bible is my equal favourite album of all time with Achtung Baby. It (and AB) is the closest to perfection in an album I have heard. Truly amazing. The weakest song for me, being Revol, is still immensely great. That's how good the album is.
Glad you enjoyed the post, and I'm always ecstatic to find other Manics fans. There really is no other album like The Holy Bible. I do love their later work too, especially Lifeblood and Journal for Plague Lovers. And some of my favorite songs of theirs are B-Sides and other such things--Leviathan, Judge Yr'self, Pedestal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'd never heard of this Richey dude, but his Wikipedia page suggests he was pretty fucked up. Do you guys think he's dead? (genuine question)
Part of me really wants to believe that Richey is out there somewhere, living a more peaceful life than what he had. Then again, he and the bass player, Nicky Wire, were soulmates, and I just can't believe Richey would be out there and never contact Nicky again. In the Manics biography, there's this quote from Nicky where he says that for years, little things would remind him of Richey and just tear him apart. Something as simple as not being able to answer the phone before it quit ringing would really affect him, because it could always be Richey, finally getting back in touch.

So whether he's alive or dead, I hope Richey has found peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Oh, why couldn't I have fallen out of love with My Chemical Romance or something? Something Something Killjoys is a trainwreck, and they're approaching Spinal Tap levels of absurdity with having a new drummer for every album. But maybe that's why I like it, they're absurd in a lot of ways.
I absolutely love Danger Days. Destroya, Save Yourself, The Kids From Yesterday, S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W, Vampire Money...these easily rank up there with lots of my other favorite MCR songs. And it's my favorite album to listen to when I'm running.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #188
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
Glad you enjoyed the post, and I'm always ecstatic to find other Manics fans. There really is no other album like The Holy Bible. I do love their later work too, especially Lifeblood and Journal for Plague Lovers. And some of my favorite songs of theirs are B-Sides and other such things--Leviathan, Judge Yr'self, Pedestal...
I love Lifeblood and 1985 would have to be one of my favourite songs of the previous decade. And yes, their B-sides are also wonderful! I'm quite a fan of Black Garden, Sepia, The Vorticists and Everybody Knows/Nobody Cares (oh and the Umbrella cover is pretty damn great too). I could go on, really.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
I absolutely love Danger Days. Destroya, Save Yourself, The Kids From Yesterday, S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W, Vampire Money...these easily rank up there with lots of my other favorite MCR songs. And it's my favorite album to listen to when I'm running.
Danger Days is just fun. "Shut up and let me see your jazz hands" will go down as one of the silliest lyrics I've ever heard.

A fun experiment: Listen to Three Cheers, The Black Parade, and Danger Days in order. It plays out like Gerard Way's slow descent into madness.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #190
The Male

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Sing was the end of any degree of affection I had for MCR. I just can't like bands who sound like they're covering those songs contestants sing in the last round of American Idol. The ones about believing in yourself and sucking hard.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Good green day post, reggz. Sucks that you're feeling that way about the band. I'm pretty glad that by the time page left/was ousted from the barenaked ladies that I was as far removed from some personal shit regarding my feelings toward that band (have no fear, folks. I will never write you a long winded, sentimental post on that. So put the community reference back in your pockets), otherwise I would have lost my shit hearing the old apartment done live without him.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I love Lifeblood and 1985 would have to be one of my favourite songs of the previous decade. And yes, their B-sides are also wonderful! I'm quite a fan of Black Garden, Sepia, The Vorticists and Everybody Knows/Nobody Cares (oh and the Umbrella cover is pretty damn great too). I could go on, really.
We both could go on...and for that, I give a !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
A fun experiment: Listen to Three Cheers, The Black Parade, and Danger Days in order. It plays out like Gerard Way's slow descent into madness.
Might have to try that.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Good green day post, reggz. Sucks that you're feeling that way about the band. I'm pretty glad that by the time page left/was ousted from the barenaked ladies that I was as far removed from some personal shit regarding my feelings toward that band (have no fear, folks. I will never write you a long winded, sentimental post on that. So put the community reference back in your pockets), otherwise I would have lost my shit hearing the old apartment done live without him.
Re: the "Community" reference...you know us too well .

In all seriousness, I like hearing your thoughts on various things, so if you ever were to do that, I'd read it. But if you don't want to, that's fine, too, of course.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #194

THIS is a fight. WE are fighting.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Sometimes I get the impression it's an incredibly silly band to feel too strongly one way or the other, but you look past the if i had a million dollars and pinch mes, especially to some of the stuff on born on a pirate ship or maybe you should drive, and actually listen to the lyrics from "this is where it ends" or "I live with it every day," it's not the goofiness of one week at all.

Maybe I'll get on a real computer and type it out one of these days, but probably not. Anything I post here will just invite NSW's posts about how he thought i hate everything, and couldn't possibly think anything positive about anything, or he'll take something snot 100% positive and point out that I can even make disparaging remarks about thinks I claim to like, so it's not even worth it. It's one thing when it's mofo calling me a hippie liar, because he's been doing that for close to a decade now, and even though I'm pretty decently removed from the shitty headspace this particular long winded post would delve into, it's not something I really feel like putting out there for a bunch of people on the Internet.