Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved coffee and tv, and liked the rest of the album, but hated tender. Didn't really sound like anything else on it, and irritated me greatly. Still the only blur album I own, because I never really got into the others and wanted to buy/hear them again.

Last year, my most listened-to album was Sufjan Stevens' Carrie & Lowell, and it has held that distinction this year as well. I came to love it quickly, but now, nearly two years later, I'm convinced that it's an all-timer, probably in my top ten albums ever. What strikes me most about it is its bravery; there are plenty of albums out there that are lyrically and emotionally raw, but none I have ever heard that acknowledge the persistence of a certain type of existential pain as boldly as Sufjan does here. The closest I can think of is Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree, but even there a certain light comes forth at the end that at least hints at healing.

On C&L, there is no such thing - only ruminations on comfort that never materializes and nostalgia that never soothes. In this sense, Blue Bucket of Gold is the perfect closer: a raw plea for companionship that is as intangible and fleeting as the ghostly ambient passage that ends the song. That particular trick - contrasting the main part of the song with an ambient coda - works emotional wonders throughout the album, seeming to mimic the fatigue that comes from efforts to work through depression, which in my experience is incredibly authentic.

Equally impressive is how, despite the harrowing subject matter, nothing is played for pity, nothing over-reaches. On past albums, Sufjan had a tendency to swing for the fences emotionally - see tracks like Flint, Casimir Pulaski Day, or Impossible Soul - but on the tracks from C&L, there is no embellishment to the sentiments being offered. The sparseness of the arrangements gives the entire album a voyeuristic quality, as though you are reading his journals or listening in on songs never meant to leave his room. That intensely personal dynamic justifies the lyrical abstractions, of which there are many in the vein of references to Poseidon, Manelich, and any number of Oregon landmarks, and brings you into the world of his memories in a way that is revealing but not fully comprehensible.

That balance of revelation and mystery is probably intentional: relationships and loss are personal and ultimately not understandable to the outside, so as much as Sufjan or anyone else might want empathy, it really isn't possible. Thus the reason there is no superficially comforting sentiment on the album along the lines of "she's in a better place now," because the grieving have no need for that sort of artifice.

Where I land on the best song of the album has shifted over time, but now I feel solidly that it is All of Me Wants All of You. It is a perfect encapsulation of trying to accept a changing dynamic but ultimately failing, of the difficulty of knowing whether you hold any importance to another person, or of what should be taken personally and what shouldn't. It speaks to the wider ambiguity and impermanence of relationships that we are often told should be unwavering, like family, partners, or close friends, and how the individual internalizes changes in those relationships. As with everything else on the album, there are no easy answers, only open questions. It is a failed attempt at emotional exorcism that is nonetheless beautiful, which is perhaps the best way to summarize the album as a whole.

On Dark Side of the Moon, therapy, and power of music.

I had a pretty incredible day today. I decided to put on The Dark Side of the Moon, an album I haven’t played in years. It’s come back into my consciousness thanks to TikTok, actually, getting served quite a bit of Pink Floyd content which is awesome. Had a long drive home from a great weekend away camping up on the Murray, and decided to put it on. I’ve said in the past that it is my favourite album of all-time, but it’s been years since I’ve listened to it.

I started to get a little emotional during "Breathe". "On the Run" is fantastic, it still sounds really fresh even 50 years on, it’s so well-produced, the claustrophobia is palpable. The electronics and synths are exceptional, and stand up to a lot of electronic work before or since. My favourite thing about it is how it really seems to create the soundtrack of a doomed plane ride, with those shuddering synths that sweep across the L-R channels, then the madcap laughter and the sudden crash. It’s so rarely spoken about, this song, because the album also contains Breathe, Time, Great Gig in the Sky, Money, Us and Them, Brain Damage and Eclipse (not to mention Any Colour You Like, a phenomenal song I’m just leaving out because it’s lesser known), but it should be spoken about more.

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve played or heard "Time" in full. (I found out through TikTok that the tick-tock that runs throughout the early part of the song is completely analogue (is that the right word?) or organic, it’s Waters knocking his bass guitar). Eventually Gilmour’s first verse starts up and emotion starts to flood in… so many times I listened to this song as a late teenage/early 20s kid. But as good as Gilmour’s verses are, it’s Rick Wright that drives the nail into my heart, alongside the drums and the choir and minimal instrumentation. The solo and instrumental break is, obviously, incredible. It’s interesting, I think, on paper you could potentially argue that the lyrics to this song are a little too obvious… there’s very little left to the imagination, but they are just SO on-point about the anxieties of life and the passage the time and death, they’re so universal, sung so powerfully (particularly by Wright) and surrounded by a phenomenal song. They’re particularly resonant for me at the moment, I’m a bit over four months single for the first time in seven years after ending a relationship I thought for a long time was going the distance, and I’m nearly 33, and sometimes I feel as though my life is over, or that I’ve wasted parts of my life, and I’m deeply fearful and death and encroaching time. The choir’s ohhhhs behind the “or half a page of scribbled lines” never fails to send shivers through my body.

I love the madcap adlibs through the record, perhaps at their best on "The Great Gig in the Sky", which is such an affecting song. The slow first minute with the piano and slide guitar is so gorgeous and sets such a powerful platform for Clare Torry’s otherworldly take on death. I’ve not heard a song like it before or since. How amazing is that?

"Money", in many ways, has always been my least favourite song on the album, for a few reasons. Firstly, I hate coins lol and so a lot of the sound effects trigger me. Secondly, it’s so Waters, which, despite my protestations in the Pink Floyd thread, does put me off a little (strangely, the fact that he sings both Brain Damage and Eclipse has never even put a dint in my love for those songs). Thirdly, it veers dangerously close to cock rock (though nowhere near as offensively as the awful Young Lust) and fourthly, for me, stylistically, it has always seemed a little like a sore thumb amidst an album full of perfect fingers. All these points made, it still slaps because the music just absolutely slays. And the coda that leads into the impeccable, heart-wrenching, deeply moving and beautiful "Us and Them"…

Man. I had forgotten how good this song is and how much I utterly adore it. The synths that open it, the slow guitar and drums, giving way to the piano and Dick Parry’s ethereal saxophone, just when you think the first verse is gonna start. Again, like in Time, the Gilmour-Wright interplay is majestic. It’s Wright’s verses, and the thunderous music that surrounds them, that make the song, but the slow build of Gilmour’s verses make the payoff all the sweeter. I actually wasn’t prepared for the visceral emotion that began to pound through my body listening to these verses again. The guitar that signals their arrival, Wright’s vocal is so impassioned, the choir is incredible, Parry’s sax is monstrous, and I have always found the war-based lyrics in Wright’s verses to be really poignant. The piano and adlib run of the Gilmour verses is gorgeous - if you give him a quick short, sharp shock - and then you have a majestic run of the Wright verses with Parry’s sax taking on the lead role (anyone who knows me knows that I’ve always had a love affair with the sax in songs). And then, as if we haven’t been rewarded enough already, we get yet another set of verses, and then the most exquisite segue into Any Colour You Like.

"Any Colour You Like", I’ve said many times, is an absolute masterpiece, and it’s this 11 minutes that long ago cemented Rick Wright as my favourite member of Pink Floyd. The man is a fucking genius. The instrumentation on this song is unreal. It’s literal funk music at one point. And it just flows so unbelievably well out of Us and Them. It’s fun and sick as hell and such a bitching complement to the emotion of Us and Them. It and "A New Career in a New Town" are the two best instrumental tracks ever made.

Ah, "Brain Damage". At this point, I’m so heavily invested in the music on my long drive home, and my face so wet with tears, and my muscles strained from screaming Wright’s verses in Us and Them, that the first minute is a welcome respite. Roger’s verse makes me smile and the guitar is great. But it’s a brief respite, because the chorus is yet another moment of utter fucking glory and joy and melancholy on this beautiful motherfucking album. Maybe I’m in too deep with this song that this is an over-the-top statement, but I do really feel the insanity vibes they were going for in this song. I really felt it after leaning so heavily into the emotion over the preceding seven tracks. I’m so into the song and the album that I do feel like I’ve gone a little insane, I’m so deep into it.

The defining thing that makes The Dark Side of the Moon the GOAT record, and so unbelievably powerful and resonant and fresh after 50 fucking years, is the narrative. And I don’t really mean the somewhat vague concept behind the album, I mean the musical and storytelling narrative that is created through the sequencing and transitions, in between some of the best songs ever committed to tape. The second chorus of Brain Damage reaches its conclusion and then the song actually feels like it gets a bit silly. A bit drunk. There’s a new synth line over the top of the guitar, the madcap is back, and then, just when you think this I’ve-run-out-of-superlatives record couldn’t get any better, Nick Mason pounds the drums four times, Gilmour plays a tiny little chiming guitar part and your soul leaves your body as "Eclipse" begins.

It’s less than two minutes, and yet it’s the greatest song ever written. To this day, after 15+ years of listening to the song, I am still utterly gobsmacked that such a phenomenal song exists. I was in my car, driving on a barren highway, tears streaming down my face at this point, literally fucking screaming the lyrics at the top of my lungs. The moment the song starts, the drums, the synths, my soul just leaves my body and floats to a higher plane. Waters’ lyrics and vocals are utterly perfect, the choir is unreal. It is a fucking stunning coda that somehow seems to contain within it all of the emotion and power of the entire album and then take it into overdrive. And then the heartbeat, and the madcap’s final words. So yeah, after all this time, The Dark Side of the Moon is still my favourite album of all time.

What made this listen in particular so special was what was happening for me emotionally as all this was happening. I’ve struggled mightily at times over the past two years, questioning who I am and which path I should take. I’ve been doing some pretty deep therapy, schema therapy and internal family systems. A few weeks ago, when I saw Bon Iver, for the first time, I felt a strong and powerful version of myself come through the centre of my body, with a message That I Am Okay And That Everything Is Going To Be All Right. I wept multiple times, because it was so powerful, comforting and healing. In that moment, and during that concert, it felt like I could truly trust myself for the first time in a very, very long time, because I was being held and supported by myself. Like I was my own best friend, the person or the thing I’ve been searching for. My therapist says it is Healthy Daniel. He’s always been here, but hasn’t had many opportunities in my life to live from the front.

As the back end of DSOTM played out, that version of myself stepped through again. l. And it was accompanied by a vision, or a feeling. Of Healthy Daniel as the conductor, or musical director, of a huge 10+ people band, comprised of all the different parts of myself: the anxiety, the critic, the detached protectors, the joy, the sadness, the anger, the fear and a cast of supporting players. We were all on stage, losing our shit as we performed The Dark Side of the Moon. Healthy Daniel didn’t seem to be playing an instrument, but he was centre stage, empowering everyone, welcoming everyone, guiding the performance, accentuating different players playing different roles at different times. He was smiling and loving it as much as everyone. He was equal with all on stage.

I played Eclipse over and over and over, crying and screaming. It’s very rare that these parts of me feel safe enough to come out, and Healthy Daniel made them feel safe enough to do so. There was still some self-consciousness, an over-controller who is looking around to make sure we’re not being too intense or extra, keeping us part of the tribe, but that’s okay too.

The concert ended, and we took a bow. The critic seemed to start throwing things from side of stage, and it was difficult not to succumb to him, but Healthy Daniel is just so powerful that it didn’t feel as though the moment was completely ruined or the detached protectors had to step in and shut everything down. He just smiled and calmly said, you’re welcome too, and hopefully one day you’ll feel comfortable and safe enough to join us on stage.

The concert now over, other songs began to pop in my head that I wanted to listen to. The first was The Load-Out / Stay, the nine-minute, two-song epic by Jackson Browne. I’ve adored "The Load-Out" for many years, hearing it played by my Dad, who has long owned Running on Empty on vinyl, and hearing it on Gold 104 on the odd occasion. It is such a beautiful song. The piano is so beautifully melancholy and Browne’s vocals are just perfect. The song is an ode to Browne’s roadies, post-show pack-downs and the life of touring musicians, and the lyrics are specific to this narrative, but the song is so beautiful that it feels like so much more than that. It is masterful piece of songwriting, music craft and production, and then, after five-and-a-half minutes, it segues seamlessly into a cover of Maurice Williams’ doo-wop hit "Stay". It is, in fact, so seamless, that for most of my life I had no idea it was two separate songs. It has always held a little extra resonance in my life, too, as it was the favourite song of a close family friend Graham and his son Dion, who sadly passed away after an accident some years ago.

By this point, I was truly elevated, and when I hit that elevated state, I gravitate towards songs that capture that magic feeling. Enter "Memory of a Free Festival", a barely-known David Bowie folk deep cut that closed his 1969 self-titled second album (also known now as Space Oddity, for the eponymous track that was released on this record). It has the classic roughshod vibes of pre-Glam Bowie, his vocals a little unpolished, the organ - the only instrumentation for the first third of the song - not-quite-expertly played, and features a warped "A Day in the Life" / "Revolution 9"-style bridge, but it then unfolds into a glorious refrain that takes up the rest of the track, with “The sun machine is coming down / and we’re gonna have a party” repeated over and over. Eventually Bowie steps back, swallowed up by a passionate choir of voices. Since I first heard this song, I have been in love with it, and I have always dreamed of playing this song at a festival, or other peak experience, singing the refrain with thousands of others. I cried again, imagining being the man on the hill who starts to dance, and is eventually joined by many others, and dreaming of such a moment.

Searching for Memory of a Free Festival, I saw 2011’s "Young, Wild & Free", by Wiz Khalifa, Snoop Dogg and Bruno Mars. So I played it. I loved this song man. The sweet piano and Bruno Mars’ gorgeous chorus capture such a lovely feeling. The refrain made me cry again, as I imagined Healthy Daniel letting the rest of my internal family know that it’s fine and good and wonderful to get drunk and/or high and have a good time. Healthy Daniel makes me feel safe, and happy, and content, like Everything Really Will Be Ok.

I took a voice note after about an hour-and-a-half of playing these songs, crying, weeping and sobbing, over this powerful experience, and how Healthy Daniel made these parts feel safe enough to come out.

Then I played "The Festival Song", an Aussie hip-hop song - I can genuinely count on one hand the amount of these songs I like - by Pez and 360 and Hailey Cramer. I’d wept my tears by now and was just smiling. This song is deeply nostalgic to me - it was released in 2008, and came out around the time that me and a whole bunch of friends attended a few of the now-defunct Pyramid Rock Festivals. The warm piano-led beat is lovely and Pez and 360, two rappers I have no interest in ever hearing ever again, manage to capture a moment in time in such perfect detail the song is almost like looking at photographs.

Happy, content and cried out for now, I return a missed call from Dad. He has some sad family news. Because Healthy Daniel is present, I feel I have space to talk to Dad about it in a way I might not have otherwise. I feel the feelings of it. Then I put on Triple M’s Sunday Rub, chuckle lightly at the c-grade banter and continue the drive into Melbourne. Life is life, and it’s better when Healthy Daniel is here.

I think an interesting measure of an artist is whether they become more or less impressive in your estimation as you get exposed to more and more music. Pink Floyd absolutely fits in the first category. After a long stretch of not listening to them at all, I randomly put on Echoes recently and was as blown away by it as the first time I heard it all those years ago.

That's a great way of putting it, and I wholeheartedly agree. I think perhaps part of the reason I hadn't listened to them in so long was because I thought that their music had passed me by and I'd lost my passion for them, the songs no longer making the impact they once did. Not the case at all. There's a mythicism around them, too, which helps.

I know that both songs are a complete send-up, but when I listen to them I can't separate that from the songs. I guess you could argue then that they're extremely well executed :lol:

LM, if you read this... there was a website many many years ago where you could make a profile and review albums. It was not RYM. I am sure you were on it. Do you remember it?

Not long-winded, but definitely sentimental, a shout-out to one of my favourite songs, and a severely underrated one in Arctic Monkeys' catalogue, "Love is a Laserquest".

I think this song might be one of the most perfect breakup songs ever written. Let's start with the music. I love how it starts off with the drums and bass and then that melancholy, chiming, distant guitar line that comes in and plays throughout is absolute magic. So gorgeous. (And Suck it and See contains lots of this sound, which I've always found a little bit Beatles-y, and it's comfortably my favourite AM record.) But there's something upbeat about it, too... it kind of feels how I feel a lot of the time now, which is looking back with intense nostalgia but also a knowing that I'm on a new path, in a different place, learning new things. Like, nice to look back on and fall into and swim around in for a while, but not being sucked underneath.

But it's the lyrics, man. There's a part of me that's still heartbroken over my breakup, which was nearly a year ago now.

Do you still think love is a laserquest?
Or do you take it all more seriously?
I've tried to ask you this in some daydreams that I've had
But you're always busy being make-believe

And do you look into the mirror to remind yourself you're there?
Or has somebody's goodnight kisses got that covered?
When I'm not being honest I pretend that you were just some lover

Now I can't think of there without thinking of you
I doubt that comes as a surprise

And when I'm hanging on by the rings around my eyes
And I convince myself I need another
For a minute it gets easier to pretend that you were just some lover

When I'm pipe and slippers and rocking chair
Singing dreadful songs about summer
Will I have found a better method of pretending you were just some lover?

That third verse in particular destroys me. A man thinking about the difference between where he is at versus where she is at; I'm looking in the mirror just to confirm I'm real, you've got a new lover who's holding you. I've gotten much more self-aware with my drinking, when I do it and why, but I certainly have been in those places where I've had a rotten night's sleep and/or I'm feeling anxious or sad and I have another drink, which does make it easier momentarily. And then that final verse... I'm 33 and I don't know what my future holds. I'm both excited and scared to find out. But when I'm old, when it's all said and done, will I have found a better method of pretending you were just some lover? Maybe I'll have spent a happy life with loving family and friends. Maybe I'll always have regret. Who knows.

At any rate, thank you to Alex Turner and co for writing this fucking incredible song, and for writing a heap of songs over the past 12 years that have resonated deeply with me and a small subset of your fans, even if the majority are bored by them. :heart:

I must be one of the relatively few Nick Cave fans who would yell out at a gig, "play the new stuff!"

I came into loving Nick Cave through Push the Sky Away. I remember the thread, now more than a decade old, very clearly. I recall Martha and iYup being perhaps the two most passionate about that record. Maybe Shouter too. It was my first introduction to Nick Cave, I sincerely don't think I knew a single other song of his at the time.

To this day, three songs on that record mean the absolute world to me: Jubilee Street, Higgs Boson Blues and Push the Sky Away. I listen to them so regularly. In fact, I would hazard a guess that, since Push the Sky Away came out, Nick Cave might even be the artist I've listened to the most in the past decade. The National, LCD Soundsystem, Bowie, U2, OutKast, MF DOOM and Paul Dempsey/Something for Kate would be the only artists that would come close.

I have said this here many times before, but having dipped my toes into Nick Cave's back catalogue somewhat (shut up Laz, I'll get to Abattoir Blues / Lyre of Orpheus eventually), and seen him/him & Warren/him & TBS about 10 times or so in the past decade, I genuinely think he is getting better. Of all the records of his I've heard, Push the Sky Away, Skeleton Tree, Ghosteen and Carnage are my top four. (Ghosteen is my favourite.) It's an astonishing achievement for an artist of his vintage.

Anyway, on the way home from a date tonight, that felt like it went reasonably well, I wanted to listen to music that fit the mood I was in... driving home, late at night, a little euphoric, a little jaded, a little hopeful, a little protective, and I went to a track that has fit me in so many different moods so many times before: Jubilee Street.
I'm transforming
I'm vibrating
LOOK AT ME NOW!

And then I played Higgs Boson Blues. If you were being a real nitpicker, you could probably argue that this album is just one big tease; a bunch of nearly-there vignettes, with Jubilee Street and Higgs Boson Blues attempting to compensate, inserting some much-needed pulse. I suspect there's many fans who have hated the direction he and Warren have gone in since, with the drums and guitars featuring even less on the next two records. Not me, though. Part of what makes Push the Sky Away such an incredible record to me is the brooding ambient of the tracks that surround the two monsters, even if, you could argue, neither really manage to take off quite as much as you hope (although Higgs Boson Blues comes closer than Jubilee Street to reaching escape velocity). (But then again, you get rewarded with the live versions!)

And then you have Push the Sky Away, which perhaps taken on its own may not seem like one of the best songs ever written, but I would argue it is one of the best denouements in art. The raucous thrill of Higgs Boson Blues winds down, Miley Cyrus drowns, and most of us would be happy if that's where it ended, but Cave and the Bad Seeds have one more beautiful, dark, yet oddly hopeful trick up their sleeves. Its exhausted, Sisyphean tone and message have always encouraged me to walk on even when I felt like I couldn't.

And some people say it's just rock 'n' roll;
Ah, but it gets you right down to your soul.

:heart::heart::heart:

I came into loving Nick Cave through Push the Sky Away. I remember the thread, now more than a decade old, very clearly. I recall Martha and iYup being perhaps the two most passionate about that record. Maybe Shouter too. It was my first introduction to Nick Cave, I sincerely don't think I knew a single other song of his at the time.

Still my favorite from him, and probably among my top five albums of the 2010s. It really illuminated my love of impressionistic, fever-dream style music and pushed me to seek out more of the same. A very, very influential album for me.

It's baffling to me that someone can be a huge fan of an artist and still not have plowed their way through the discography like 10 years later.

When I first got into The Beatles, U2, R.E.M., The Replacements, all I did was immerse myself in those bands until I knew everything. Even artists with longer backcatalogs like Dylan, Joni, VanMo, etc., I would keep picking up another used CD pretty frequently.

Back
Top Bottom