Write sentimental/long-winded posts about music you love - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #166
The Male

Local Time: 05:37 PM
I'm listening to The Holy Bible now. Heavy stuff, I think it's grown on me. I still prefer Everything Must Go because I'm all about the hooks, but this is a damn solid record too, a lot of energy and anger here.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

^ I downloaded it after reading her post and will likely listen to it tonight......looking forward to it.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #168
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Holy Bible is definitely my favorite album from them. The lyrics to 4st7lb are haunting, especially because I've known some people that have struggled with anorexia.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Well, that's it. Sigh.

To be fair, I mean, I knew better. But I wanted to believe!

Green Day, I think it's time we broke up.

I know, I know it's a shock. I mean, up until about November of 2009, I was your biggest believer. No one loved you guys as much as I did and no one defended you as fiercely as I did. And then...something shifted. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but something changed while I was listening to 21st Century Breakdown. And not just as background noise while I was working. I really listened. And I was let down a little. I was still at a point where I listened to American Idiot regularly, once a month on average. Did 21st Century Breakdown live up to its predecessor? No, but how could it? American Idiot was a juggernaut that hit at the right place at the right time, and Breakdown wasn't. Maybe, Billie, you were distracted by writing the musical at the same time. And OK, that's forgivable. But I hate this feeling that I'm somehow not a good enough fan by not slobbering all over it.

And now the new stuff. Oh Love is not a particularly bad song. But it's not particularly good either. And the video? Not particularly attention-grabbing until it dawned on me that some of those Suicide-Girl-looking models are young enough to be your daughters. Mike, Tre, I'm looking at you. Stella? Mona? Yeah? Yeah. Creepy. Don't do that. Kill The DJ I've only listened to once, sounds kind of Franz Ferdinand-y. May grow on me, or not. I like Franz Ferdinand, you guys like Franz Ferdinand if you let them tour with you. Maybe. We'll see. Oh Love could just be the Know Your Enemy of Uno.

I should probably judge the new album on the music alone. Let it stand by itself and weigh it as objectively as I can. But in my years as a Green Day fan, I've learned to read your body language, especially Tre's. And maybe I've just got my fangirl-colored glasses on, but all of your body language is confusing. I watched part of the MTV interview, Billie's enthusiasm seemed forced. Mike's hiding behind that long hair that makes him look like a damn Muppet, and Tre was just bored and wanted to get done with it. Tre is Green Day's biggest fan hands down and if even that crazy bastard can't get excited over this, what does that mean for the rest of us? And why a three-album project out of nowhere? Are you trying to fulfill your contract with Reprise or something so you can do something else?

The reason why this is all so depressing for me, guys, is because I literally don't know who I would be without your influence in my life over the past 15 years. And it's not just that I've called myself the Green Day girl for that time, nor that I'm now doubting the tattoo on my shoulder. But your music helped me through some of the hardest times in my life: my parents' divorce when I was 15 and the panic attacks that accompanied me coming to terms with my sexual orientation (and then nearly all of my family and friends' hurtful reactions when I decided to come out with it. Not everyone who claims to be so open-minded really is) and the death of my grandmother.

During the divorce, I was a slave to the radio and MTV, wanting to be cool in high school. You guys were the angriest thing I listened to, and so I raged along with you guys when I needed to. And knowing Billie's struggle with his own sexuality and basically knowing that I wasn't alone and I had something to relate to meant a lot to me. And when my grandmother died, I must've listened to "Wake Me Up When September Ends" a thousand times. It just spoke to how I felt inside. So confused and angry and sad at the same time. It helped me grieve.

But it was also you, you three, that helped. The three of you running around and goofing off, shaving Mike's head, starting a mud war, Tre being... well... Tre. It made me laugh, it made me forget about what's bringing me down when Tre's pulled a 55 gallon trash can over his head because he's bored with an interview and starts running around a locker room before a concert. And, honestly, the biggest way Green Day has enriched my life was "The Saints Are Coming" duet with U2. I never thought much of U2 until I saw that and one of my friends pointed me in the direction of a U2 fan message board. That place is now sort of an Internet "home" and I've met the most amazing people who have become the best friends I've ever had.

I fell down the rabbit hole of punk rock fandom, following Mike to Screeching Weasel, then following Ben Weasel to The Queers, etc., to where 1/4 of my entire music collection is some form or another of punk rock.

For all of this, I can't thank you three enough. I can't thank Frank Sr enough for driving you all over the country in that busted-ass bookmobile to get a big enough fanbase that Warner Brothers started paying attention to you. I can't thank Adrienne enough for enchanting Billie Joe and causing his lovesick 19-year-old heart to write some of his sweetest love songs. In a weird way, I probably should thank Former Governor Bush for fucking up this country enough that you got angry and wrote American Idiot.

But I just feel so torn. I want this love affair to continue. Like I said, I want to believe again. But how can I after Breakdown and Oh Love? What am I supposed to believe when your body language doesn't match what you're saying?

I love you, Green Day. But let's end this before someone gets hurt. Let me remember you as the band I inked myself for. The band that shit on Isabella Rossellini's balcony. The band that did unspeakable things to goldfish on their tour bus. And you can remember me as the one who never doubted you. Who'd walk through fire for you. Who has, admittedly, a stalker-ish crush on your drummer.

I'll still be watching, waiting for you to wow me again. And I hope you do. But for now, good-bye, boys.

Love now and always,
Reggo

P.S. Mikey, cut your damn hair. You really do look like a Muppet, like the love child of Janice and Floyd Pepper from the Electric Mayhem.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Nice post. Been fortunate enough to not have to do that with any bands I like so far (they've done things I'm not as big a fan of, sure-nobody's perfect, but they've also done more than enough things I love to balance it out), but it's always interesting to hear a fan make statements like this. You argued your case really well. I've heard "Oh Love" a couple times. It's okay. But yeah, not their best.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry to hear about all the crap you went through. I'm glad Green Day helped introduce you to this place and you're happy here . It's been nice getting to know you.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 AM
I'm sorry to read that, Reggo - breaking up with bands that have been with you through tough times, and in some ways have helped define the person you've become must surely be terrible. The closest I've gone that way is the couple of times I've abandoned U2, only to come back to them, without fail. Each time I've come back to them, it's been from rediscovering things from their back catalogue, not concentrating on what they've become. I suppose that's a fairly obvious thing to consider, but in any case, best wishes in your post-GD life! Enjoy your newfound freedom, and don't let it get you down. Onwards!

I'm also gonna check out The Holy Bible now, having never thought twice about the Manics, other than finding Richey's disappearance to be a particularly interesting and sad episode in modern rock history. I like Jenny Saville, too. Cheers for the post HeartlandGirl, was great.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #172
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't usually have a ton to say (which is surprising because in person I can talk about music for ever and ever), but I just finished watching Sling Blade for the second time, and I had forgotten that "The Maker" is the closing credits song for that movie. That song invokes quite a strong emotional reaction in me, and it's kind of for a silly reason (to some).

When I first took part in Desert Island, it was the second incarnation, and it was right at the same time as when I was beginning to really explore music in a larger capacity than ever before. The songs from it that I fell in love with have stayed with me to this day and remind me so much of things that were going on in my life at the time. Specifically, my freshman year of college, moving away from home and getting into the whole idea of being an adult.

So, to whoever put The Maker on their DI 2 list (and to all of the other songs from those lists that make me feel the same way, perhaps I shall list them someday), thank you .

Also, I just found a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds cover of the song and am quite fond.

EDIT: I thought about making a list of all of the songs I loved from DI 2, but it would take too long so browse all you like! The Desert Island Part Deux Master List
Old 08-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
<long post about the Holy Bible>
Brilliant post. The Holy Bible is my equal favourite album of all time with Achtung Baby. It (and AB) is the closest to perfection in an album I have heard. Truly amazing. The weakest song for me, being Revol, is still immensely great. That's how good the album is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Great post I don't know anything about Manic Street Preachers, but I'm sure Vlad will agree.
Goddamn yes I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm listening to The Holy Bible now. Heavy stuff, I think it's grown on me. I still prefer Everything Must Go because I'm all about the hooks, but this is a damn solid record too, a lot of energy and anger here.
I do also consider Everything Must Go to be quite the masterpiece. Oh man ...
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Looking up the track listing for The Holy Bible right now. Do they really have that unnecessary apostrophe in the title of the second track?

If they do, I gotta say, that's a huge turn off.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

I've always chosen to interpret it as subtly suggesting that the US is the world. In some ways relating to the content of the song's lyrics. Something like that? It doesn't bother me.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #176
45:33

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan
Looking up the track listing for The Holy Bible right now. Do they really have that unnecessary apostrophe in the title of the second track?

If they do, I gotta say, that's a huge turn off.
Are you bothered by Lifes Rich Pageant?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Are you bothered by Lifes Rich Pageant?
No. Stipe did that on purpose. Also, in these two specific cases, I find the lack of punctuation to be far more aesthetically pleasing than the superfluous punctuation. That track title just looks ugly to me.

I guess if it's true that it was deliberately written that way, I'd feel a bit better about it. But it still bugs me when I look at it.

I said it was a "huge" turn off, well, it's honestly not that big of a deal either way. Just kinda irks me.

I'm sure they're a good band. Good band name, definitely.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

For 200 anyone can conceive a god on video

Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #179
45:33

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan

No. Stipe did that on purpose. Also, in these two specific cases, I find the lack of punctuation to be far more aesthetically pleasing than the superfluous punctuation. That track title just looks ugly to me.

I guess if it's true that it was deliberately written that way, I'd feel a bit better about it. But it still bugs me when I look at it.

I said it was a "huge" turn off, well, it's honestly not that big of a deal either way. Just kinda irks me.

I'm sure they're a good band. Good band name, definitely.
I just looked at it myself, and yeah, that's absolutely hideous.

I'd never heard of this Richey dude, but his Wikipedia page suggests he was pretty fucked up. Do you guys think he's dead? (genuine question)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Well, yeah. He was presumed dead in 2008. The remaining band members don't really believe he's alive.

But then again, his body has never been found, he could be living somewhere unknown for all we know.