WOMEN AS LOVERS, Xiu Xiu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you shout...

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Anybody heard it, yet? I know that there're a few Xiu Xiu loyalists lurking about. Post comments, reactions, disturbing revelations, and psychotic, shrieking, atonal freak-outs below.

I haven't finished listening, just yet, but it sounds pretty good, so far. I mean, it's no A Promise, but it'll certainly do.

It's none of your business if I've heard it or not, shouter. I don't associate with you burakumin in Chiba. Saitama 4 eva.

interesting "Under Pressure" cover

it's a good album, I liked the first half more

u2popmofo said:
It's none of your business if I've heard it or not, shouter. I don't associate with you burakumin in Chiba. Saitama 4 eva.

I have nothing against either Saitama or sad, pony, guerrilla girls.

Nothing...! That's what I was saying! Nothing at all! Man, I could really go for some daikon, too... Possibly daikon/Xiu Xiu-choco takoyaki. Shit'd be great.

Even though that sounds absolutely terrible, the Japanese would probably find a way to make it taste good. Kinda like like anko popsicles. On instinct you think, "There's no way beans in popsicles is going to be a combo that does anything but make me want to throw up", and then you end up liking it. Add corn and tuna pizza to that list too.

On topic, I truly know next to nothing about Xiu Xiu. For some reason they're one of those bands I've just never looked into. How would you describe their work?

That's a pretty tough one. Not because they're, like, OMFGZ SOOOOOOOOOO different, but because their breed of different sounds like nothing other than Xiu Xiu. Lilting melodies, HIGHLY affected singing, kitchen sink percussion, and confrontational (homo-)sexuality. Brilliant, too.

Do you know Deerhoof? That's the only band I personally know of, which comes close to resembling/being resembled by the Xiu Xiu.

Spot-on, Dalton, re: Coldplay.

I got my first disc from the year-long Xiu Xiu/Chocolate series, today. Very good stuff, so far. Definitely not album-friendly material, so I'm glad to see that this doesn't look like it'll shape up to be a b-sides series. Instead, this is some fully realized music which really wouldn't fit, anywhere else. Three songs--the first a percussive introduction to the second, a 19-minute cello piece; the third is another largely percussive selection, which this time sees us out, rather than in. About 25 minutes, total; nearly took me that long to untie the bloody thing, so it was hardly a fleeting experience. Very unintentionally reminiscent of Passengers, so far. More Eno than Xiu Xiu, as far as my personal signifiers go.

And I really, really, really have to say that I got a bad-ass leaf, in my tray. No chocolate, yet. I'm guessing that that'll wind up in my neck of the woods, come either Christmas or Halloween, but we'll see. There's always Easter.

Back
Top Bottom