Wilderness-Wilderness - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile View Post
the second album still haunts me.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I'm sure the music itself will be fantastic as always.
And it is.
Wilderness: (K)no(w)here (2008): Reviews

The album came out a few weeks back, and not surprisingly, I've been loving it. I think it's definite improvement over Vessel States, and seems to have some of the accessibility of the debut, even though it still has shades of Vessel States. It actually kinda seems like the album they probably wanted to make with Vessel States but didn't achieve. I'd say that 'Own Anything' is one of the best tracks they've ever made, I can't help but get a huge smile across my face every time I listen to it. 'Strand The Test of Time' hearkens back to some of the dark feel of 'Arkless', and is the first time I really hear the Joy Division vibe that so many people originally said the band had. 'Silver Gene' and 'Chinese Whispers' have the fantastic chimey guitars Wilderness fans love. As Pitchfork correctly pointed out in their review today, the band's rhythm section REALLY shines on this album.

I mentioned it here previously, but if you like the idea of a band sounding like The Edge playing with Explosions in the Sky mixed with Joy Division and Public Image Limited, you'll absolutely love this. Wilderness remain a still relatively unknown quirky gem, their debut is one of my all time favorite albums, and both follow up albums have had enough good tunes to be quite satisfying as well. The vocals will still be the "make or break" issue for most people, and (k)no(w)here certainly isn't going to do much to gain them more fame, but I still highly recommend this band. I love, love, LOVE them.

To once again quote Popmatters wonderful assessment:
One thing is for sure; this band is not interested in making background music. Their songs are sublime and obnoxious and sure to inspire revulsion as much as admiration. Wilderness definitely stands in its own enormous class, and whether you attend to it or not, there will be no fencing. The universal "I don't like the singer" rationalization for not liking a band is sure to echo profusely as far as Wilderness is concerned. But as the maniac vocals and enveloping psychedelics suggest, this band doesn't seem interested in attracting casual fans.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 PM
i keep ignoring this thread because i'm a jerk like that.

vocals sound like an indie-rock version of rev. paulie on the joe coffee album.

cool.

Tags
wilderness