Wild Nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I keep forgetting that I never started a thread for these guys. It seems silly to name the thread after their debut album now, so let's just make it a general discussion thread.

Just saw them live for the first time today. Aside from an (all kidding aside) rather unengaging lead singer (hey, at least he admitted he doesn't like talking), their performance was absolutely solid. His unwillingness to talk made for an awkward moment when, right before their last number, the BASS player's string broke and they had to "quickly" replace it.

They also played a new song today, which sounded fucking ace. And hey, I may not like the song as much as everyone else, but "Chinatown" actually got a response from the crowd, which was pleasant, because there really didn't seem to be many people there who knew who they were.

I came home and listened to the EP that came out last year as well, Golden Haze, and it's just another batch of completely solid tunes. I am so damn excited about and for this band, I hope that they can make more ground as they grow and that I get an opportunity to see them live again at some point. Hopefully down the road the lead singer will become a bit better of a lead.

Oh, and a few songs for those who haven't heard anything yet:

‪Wild Nothing - Gemini - Chinatown‬‏ - YouTube

‪Bored Games - Wild Nothing‬‏ - YouTube

‪Wild Nothing - Gemini - Drifter‬‏ - YouTube

Please please please, give their debut, Gemini a listen.

They played Bored Games tonight! I was getting nervous they wouldn't because they played it like two or three from the end. Didn't play "Drifter" though, which was a shame, as I think it would've sounded wonderful live, plus is one of my favorite songs...ever. I seriously almost cry every damn time I hear that song because it's just so pretty.

Oh man, and "Summer Holiday" was so much better live, the crowd really got into the "oooh ooooh" part of the chorus. Which, again, was nice.

So they're decent live then? They're the opener for one of the free shows tomorrow, I'm planning on going.

If you care about crowd interaction, they're worse than Interpol, but otherwise? Yeah, the songs sounded GREAT live. If anyone there knows who they are, then "Summer Holiday" will be a highlight, definitely.

If you care about crowd interaction, they're worse than Interpol, but otherwise? Yeah, the songs sounded GREAT live. If anyone there knows who they are, then "Summer Holiday" will be a highlight, definitely.

I'll make sure to bring a magazine then.

You know what song I'm liking A LOT right now? "Confirmation". That intro is just killer for me.

I failed to mention that for some reason I was super tired after work and too lazy to the go to the the show earlier this month when I was talking about it here.

I was immediately mad at myself the next day for missing it.

Here's the review:

I'm an idiot who misses free shows to bands I like because of laziness.

It doesn't sound like them at all until after like a minute into the song, then it sounds like what I'm used to.

I dunno, the harmonica reminded me of Hand In Glove for whatever reason. Maybe that's why you like it.

hmm. i was looking for the post i made in this thread where i said i liked them, but apparently that was another band that i liked 212er was recommending and only mofo (or mostly only mofo) commented. the question is, what band was that?

There are literally so many threads like that, but I will make it my mission to find out for you.

i know, i feel compelled to post in all of them to make it not be that way cos it was always disappointing in the ones i used to make (and 75% of those were just mofo coming to tell me a. i'm a hippie b. i'm a liar c. no one cares or usually, d. all of the above). and most of the time i check out the bands, too. like that one i can't remember the name of. actually, i think i bought the album (and clearly haven't listened to it since. for shame). i should just consult the purchased folder on itunes. damn, and that would mean it's on my ipod, and i actually could have listened to it last night when i wanted to hear it. there was one perfectly awesome dark and reflective-sounding tune that would have fit in with my nighttime playlist while i was sitting around at work last night, bored out of my mind. or i could just go back to listening to the magnetic fields.

You showed some interest in War On Drugs, and actually, that's the only other thread that I can find that's semi-recent.

i know, i feel compelled to post in all of them to make it not be that way cos it was always disappointing in the ones i used to make

i could just go back to listening to the magnetic fields.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean, lol. Going back through all of the threads I've started for bands, there are so many with one or two posts, or none... :(

Of course THAT is always an awesome option.

yep. and i did actually buy slave ambient, and listened to it once. :shifty:

i didn't say i was good at actually following up with that whole feeling compelled to post in those threads thing :uhoh:

I was going to dig up an old Cursive thread for the news / song no one cared about over the weekend, and realized the only thread I could find only had 3 posts. Two were from me, the other was a sarcastic comment from Headache about the album title. Having been here for so long, it's weird how often I think I remember having a lot of discussions about a band here, and realize there were none when I do a search. Then again, search could just be broken, as there are a lot of threads I definitely know existed that are nowhere to be found now.

yep. and i did actually buy slave ambient, and listened to it once. :shifty:

i didn't say i was good at actually following up with that whole feeling compelled to post in those threads thing :uhoh:

So was that not the one you were thinking of then? :(

I was going to dig up an old Cursive thread for the news / song no one cared about over the weekend, and realized the only thread I could find only had 3 posts. Two were from me, the other was a sarcastic comment from Headache about the album title. Having been here for so long, it's weird how often I think I remember having a lot of discussions about a band here, and realize there were none when I do a search. Then again, search could just be broken, as there are a lot of threads I definitely know existed that are nowhere to be found now.

You've mentioned Cursive a few times recently, but I keep forgetting to find out what they sound like.

Are you the one who enjoys the musical stylings of the band Why?(?)

You've mentioned Cursive a few times recently, but I keep forgetting to find out what they sound like.

Are you the one who enjoys the musical stylings of the band Why?(?)

Yeah, I'm the one who kept pushing Why? like it was my job a few years back. :wink:

If you check out Cursive, I recommend the albums Ugly Organ and Domestica more than the last few (even though the recent ones had some great tracks too). Cursive were one of the bands on the Curiosa lineup, Robby Smithy is / was a fan.

Yeah, I'm the one who kept pushing Why? like it was my job a few years back. :wink:

If you check out Cursive, I recommend the albums Ugly Organ and Domestica more than the last few (even though the recent ones had some great tracks too). Cursive were one of the bands on the Curiosa lineup, Robby Smithy is / was a fan.

I Shazaam'd the song that Los Camp! Came out to before the show and it was by Why? and I was very confused because I thought they were much heavier than that song (which was "Early Whitney") would suggest.

Also, I had just taken the Cursive talk to Random :lol:, but I definitely want these recommendations. I liked what I heard ("The Recluse") just now.

Back
Top Bottom