Wilco - The Whole Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listening now finally. Oh man.

But I'm not seeing Black Moon on that setlist (?).

Because you're all dying to know, and have been waiting patiently for this important information, here is the setlist from the Santa Fe show. A local review commented on the amazing guitar solo during Wishful Thinking and I was like :scratch: and went looking for the setlist. Glad to see I wasn't crazy.

Spoilered just because.

01 - Poor Places
02 - Art of Almost
03 - I Might
04 - Sunken Treasure
05 - Company In My Back
06 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
07 - One Wing
08 - Black Moon
09 - Spiders (Kidsmoke)
10 - Impossible Germany
11 - Born Alone
12 - Hummingbird
13 - Handshake Drugs
14 - Shouldn't Be Ashamed
15 - Whole Love
16 - I'm Always In Love
17 - Dawned On Me
18 - Shot in the Arm
Encore:
19 - Via Chicago
20 - Heavy Metal Drummer
21 - Walken
22 - I'm the Man Who Loves You
23 - Jesus, Etc.
24 - Can't Stand It
Encore:
25 - Monday
26 - Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Just got back from seeing these guys. I'm sad to say that I was a little underwhelmed. It was a terrible venue, an all-seated hall with absolutely zero atmosphere, it felt like a funeral parlour with intermittent cheering. Everyone got up on their feet for the encore, but apart from that I wasn't feeling it. I'm also exhausted and not in the best of moods so that probably didn't help either.

Here's the set:

Art of Almost
I Might
Misunderstood
Black Moon
Spiders (Kidsmoke)
War on War
At Least That's What You Said
She's a Jar
Born Alone
Capitol City
I Must Be High
Say You Miss Me
Impossible Germany
Passenger Side
California Stars
Forget the Flowers
Theologians
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Dawned on Me

Whole Love
Heavy Metal Drummer
Hate It Here
Monday
Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Two-hour set. I like Jeff. He's just a fat dude with bad hair. Cool guy. I still only have two Wilco albums, Being There and YHF. Misunderstood was great, as was Heavy Metal Drummer, though I'd love to have heard Sunken Treasure and/or Trying to Break Your Heart as well. One of my definitely highlights was Spiders (Kidsmoke), I didn't know it, but I liked it so much I wrote the lyrics down. I'm listening to the studio version now and it's nowhere near as pretty. Also not sure what song it was, but one of the dudes in the band played a fucking nuts three or four minute guitar solo, it was fucking sweet. There were definitely plenty of great moments mixed in the set but I didn't really know what was what.

That's a pretty weak setlist even with "Spiders" and "She's a Jar." Luck of the draw, I guess.

The drummer also stood up above his kit at one point, then dropped down and started drumming, but they went into I'm the Man Who Loves You... didn't really match up at all with the 60 seconds before they started.

Springsteen and partying with the E Street Band is kind of a hard act to follow.

I saw Wilco today.

Here's a blurry picture of Wilco and MMJ performing a Neil Young classic (I was jumping up and down like an idiot so it looks horrible):

izpxxe.jpg

And here's Richard Thompson, preparing to do guitar battle with Nels Cline:

2a4wcw7.jpg

In many ways, that was a better show than the one I saw in 2008 (loose, goofy, Richard fucking Thompson), and in others it was worse (14 songs is never enough). Jeff was in a great mood tonight, and it generally was an exciting performance to watch. Started off slow with some Mermaid Avenue and SBS songs, until Misunderstood, which is clearly the best shit ever. I can't believe there are nights where they don't play it. The Whole Love is top-shelf Wilco and the three they played from it went off, especially Born Alone. Impossible Germany instantly makes Nels a genius, though he has many other moments of genius to his name. I had a wonderful time, probably always will. Each set is fresh and exciting in its own way. One of the best live bands I know for sure.

Setlist:

1. At the Window, Sad and Lonely
2. When the Roses Bloom Again
3. What Light
4. Misunderstood
5. Poor Places
6. Art of Almost
7. Sloth (Fairport Convention cover, with Richard Thompson)
8. California Stars (with Richard Thompson)
9. That's Not the Issue (with Richard Thompson)
10. Hummingbird
11. Impossible Germany
12. Cinnamon Girl (with My Morning Jacket)
13. Born Alone
14. Dawned on Me

I'd never gotten Misunderstood or Poor Places before, so I had a tough time keeping it together for those. Just incredible.

I'd never gotten Misunderstood or Poor Places before, so I had a tough time keeping it together for those. Just incredible.

Excellent! Two of my favorite Wilco songs ever, and definitely two of the best to hear live.

Cinnamon Girl? Oh fuck that's awesome.

Also, is Art of Almost as amazing live as I imagine it being in my head?

Yes it is. The great live Wilco songs have epic buildups that whip up the crowd, and that one definitely has one of those in its second half. Misunderstood, Poor Places and Art of Almost all in a row was intense.

Back
Top Bottom