Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I downloaded the albmu, kinda liked it.

though...i could be just a fan of Nils Cline rather than Jeff. I never like these "indie" aestehtics

I can't find my old post, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I think a lot of it had to do with the venue (an all-seated theatre hall) which made it feel like a funeral parlour, and there was no energy from the crowd until finally a bunch of us ran to the front during the encore when they played Heavy Metal Drummer I think. It just all fell a bit flat for me.

Been listening to a heap of Wilco lately though. Ashes of American Flags and Pot Kettle Black are two songs I've grown to love quite a bit.

Oh right, I do remember that. I've seen them in all kinds of venues and the sit-down theater doesn't do their shows justice (much as my body loves a good seat these days). I have seen Wilco shows that felt flat energetically though the music always sounded great. Red Rocks was just one of those special things that I was lucky to be at.

Poor Places was a late bloomer for me from YHF. Now it's one of my favorites.

It's fucking badass that they dropped a free album and played it in full at a FESTIVAL the very next night.

Totally. I was saying on Twitter that they are a very fun band to follow. It's like the Flaming Lips if they hadn't become incredibly self-indulgent and a Wayne Coyne-Katy Weaver-Miley Cyrus sideshow.

Totally. I was saying on Twitter that they are a very fun band to follow. It's like the Flaming Lips if they hadn't become incredibly self-indulgent and a Wayne Coyne-Katy Weaver-Miley Cyrus sideshow.

Coyne has become a total ass, but at least his band has a personality. I maintain that Tweedy is the lamest frontman of any supposedly great band I can think of, and I'm talking particularly about his vocal approach.

I was going to say "there's nothing on that setlist I wouldn't be delighted to hear." And then I saw Walken. That song annoys me but still, great setlist.

I don't like Sky Blue Sky all that much, but those songs had a certain jam band appeal to them. A bit heavier, very loose and casual. Plus, they've all disappeared from the set except for Impossible Germany (which should never leave as long as Nels Cline is in the band) so the novelty of it is interesting in hindsight.

Coyne has become a total ass, but at least his band has a personality. I maintain that Tweedy is the lamest frontman of any supposedly great band I can think of, and I'm talking particularly about his vocal approach.

Lame's maybe not the word I'd use. I see where you're coming from but I think he's pretty charming, not lame in a derogatory sense

Jimmy Fallon and Chris Martin are lame. The Panther's jokes are lame. That's where the bar is currently set.

Tweedy is hilarious when he wants to be. Lame? I don't agree. But, I will say all of the other members of the band are perhaps more interesting to watch and there's a lot going on onstage so it's really satisfying in that way, that I don't need Tweedy to be anything other than what he is.

That clip of him doing Black Eyed Peas acoustic is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, so he gets a pass mark from me. Dude seems genuinely funny and laid-back to me.

Tweedy is hilarious when he wants to be. Lame? I don't agree. But, I will say all of the other members of the band are perhaps more interesting to watch and there's a lot going on onstage so it's really satisfying in that way, that I don't need Tweedy to be anything other than what he is.

You seem to be talking about their live presence and I'm referring to their recorded output. I don't think he's a captivating vocalist. He bores me.

Should I have used "boring" instead of "lame"?

Yes. You're describing him as being a limp vocalist, not a lame one.

Tweedy gets a little tryhard with his lyrics when he goes abstract (see: Christgau's amusing parody in his YHF review), but I wouldn't even call him lame or corny for that.

Last edited:
I think Tweedy is no great singer but his voice has a certain quality, a warmth to it. I mean that he cannot ever be mistaken for anyone else (by me anyhow) but himself.

You seem to be talking about their live presence and I'm referring to their recorded output. I don't think he's a captivating vocalist. He bores me.

Ah, right. You did say 'vocal approach' and I didn't quite get it. My boyfriend feels exactly the same way. It's hard to get past a voice you don't care for that's for sure.

Yes. You're describing him as being a limp vocalist, not a lame one.

Tweedy gets a little tryhard with his lyrics when he goes abstract (see: Christgau's amusing parody in his YHF review), but I wouldn't even call him lame or corny for that.

One of the reasons I don't worship at the altar of YHF are the lyrics. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is just eye-rolling to me.

I'm not sure if they were better on AGIB or if I was just used to them at that point, but I prefer the latter album.

For what it's worth, I seem to remember Christgau giving a positive re-evaluation of YHF at the end of the year/Pazz & Jop, and at the expense of Sea Change, which had lessened in his eyes over time.

He also gave a head-slapping A- to VWilco (The Album), and called it their best.

Last edited:
For such a highly-esteemed critic, Christgau astounds me with some of the stuff he comes up with. I'm pretty sure he despises every artist I like.

Managed to dig up what I was talking about; it was his essay for the 2002 P&J poll. He still seems a bit cool on YHF, but it's a really great piece of writing:

How I tell them apart is that Wilco is the one I tried to hate and ended up respecting and Beck is the one I tried to like and ended up walking around the room until it could get home on its own. As I relistened, it happened again: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was so passive-aggressive I wanted to throttle it, Sea Change so pretty I wanted to tell it I was sorry, only then Beck's songs vaporized as Wilco's took on a weathered solidity. Clearly, though, the two share a genetic code: diffident vocals, winsome tunes, contained tempos, affectless rhythms, and, above all, texture as aesthetic signifier. Nothing wrong with texture, which as timbre, melisma, "microtones," etc. is a prized delicacy in almost every kind of music; in rock and roll, it's been sticking out its tongue at "classical" canons of tonal purity since 1955. But note that its present vogue privileges what once would have been called sound effects, and that these proceed from the sampler and hence hip hop, though in England they say techno. Most would rate Radiohead's OK Computer the apogee of pomo texture, well ahead of Beck's Odelay, but before those two I fell for Latin Playboys. Where OK Computer's sound effects are also alienation effects, all dystopian gloom, fractured groove, and hate-love relationship with technology, on Latin Playboys, David Hidalgo and Louie Perez conjure places and people past and present from Tchad Blake's audio treasure chest, blending them in with a hip, swinging, hip-swinging sense of time. My view of our dystopian prospect is that if I change my mind now about who was right, bin Bush has won.

As a token of their transcendent genius, Wilco split the difference. Our winner is temperate rather than warm or cold, reticent rather than sociable or disaffected, and barely sampled at all--more "treated," or just plain arranged. The way Jeff Tweedy's tunes seep through shifting strata of complication recalls Beck's in Odelay, but Odelay was a lot jollier than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and also than Sea Change, which signals a retreat by abandoning the sampler for sour strings, gobs of reverb, and passably parsable lyrics. Both records make a virtue of their entanglement in disconnected sound, their depressive inability to control an encroaching environment--a defeatism familiar enough from slacker days, only slackers were hyperactive, funny, or at least ironic about it. Wilco's and Beck's integrity comes down to a stubborn determination--distinctly American in its folksy affect and go-it-alone-ism--to tell the world how very ineffective they feel.

Good luck finding anything that interesting on Pitchfork.

For such a highly-esteemed critic, Christgau astounds me with some of the stuff he comes up with. I'm pretty sure he despises every artist I like.

Now you're engaging in hyperbole. Christgau has as eclectic tastes as any critic I've come across, which is even more impressive considering how old he is. The one thing he really isn't into is 80s/90s British rock (though he loved New Order), prog rock and certain forms of pretension, which is why he's often taken potshots at Radiohead, for example (though he loves Arcade Fire).

You can click on his "Dean's List" for any year and check out what his favs are, compare them to the overall critics' poll consensus list, and read his annual essays for the years he was in charge of P&J.

Robert Christgau: Pazz & Jop

He certainly marches to his own drummer, but he's championed a lot of important modern acts from early on: Pavement, P.J. Harvey, M.I.A., OutKast, Sleater-Kinney, etc.

If he has one major flaw it's that his auteurist bent leads him to overrate subpar albums from great artists.

I liked that piece.

The one blind spot that lessens him for me as a source of recommendations is hip hop. Horrendous taste. Pitchfork-level bad. No, worse. He enjoys albums within the genre, but many of them are terrible meme records with no lasting value. It's fun to watch him justify iSouljaboytellem.com, SremmLife and The New Classic as worthwhile art, but I can't imagine him throwing those records on even a week after he reviews them.

Managed to dig up what I was talking about; it was his essay for the 2002 P&J poll. He still seems a bit cool on YHF, but it's a really great piece of writing:

How I tell them apart is that Wilco is the one I tried to hate and ended up respecting and Beck is the one I tried to like and ended up walking around the room until it could get home on its own. As I relistened, it happened again: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was so passive-aggressive I wanted to throttle it, Sea Change so pretty I wanted to tell it I was sorry, only then Beck's songs vaporized as Wilco's took on a weathered solidity. Clearly, though, the two share a genetic code: diffident vocals, winsome tunes, contained tempos, affectless rhythms, and, above all, texture as aesthetic signifier. Nothing wrong with texture, which as timbre, melisma, "microtones," etc. is a prized delicacy in almost every kind of music; in rock and roll, it's been sticking out its tongue at "classical" canons of tonal purity since 1955. But note that its present vogue privileges what once would have been called sound effects, and that these proceed from the sampler and hence hip hop, though in England they say techno. Most would rate Radiohead's OK Computer the apogee of pomo texture, well ahead of Beck's Odelay, but before those two I fell for Latin Playboys. Where OK Computer's sound effects are also alienation effects, all dystopian gloom, fractured groove, and hate-love relationship with technology, on Latin Playboys, David Hidalgo and Louie Perez conjure places and people past and present from Tchad Blake's audio treasure chest, blending them in with a hip, swinging, hip-swinging sense of time. My view of our dystopian prospect is that if I change my mind now about who was right, bin Bush has won.

As a token of their transcendent genius, Wilco split the difference. Our winner is temperate rather than warm or cold, reticent rather than sociable or disaffected, and barely sampled at all--more "treated," or just plain arranged. The way Jeff Tweedy's tunes seep through shifting strata of complication recalls Beck's in Odelay, but Odelay was a lot jollier than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and also than Sea Change, which signals a retreat by abandoning the sampler for sour strings, gobs of reverb, and passably parsable lyrics. Both records make a virtue of their entanglement in disconnected sound, their depressive inability to control an encroaching environment--a defeatism familiar enough from slacker days, only slackers were hyperactive, funny, or at least ironic about it. Wilco's and Beck's integrity comes down to a stubborn determination--distinctly American in its folksy affect and go-it-alone-ism--to tell the world how very ineffective they feel.

Good luck finding anything that interesting on Pitchfork.

Definitely interesting. Does he have any music books I could check out?

He's published Consumer Guides and a memoir, but I've had the most fun just looking up random bands on his website and reading his capsule reviews, which are what he's known for.

Check out his Pavement reviews, they're golden.

I know I was being hyperbolic earlier about Christgau. But seriously, go to his 'consumer guide'. Achtung Baby gets a little lit-fuse-bomb emoticon. EYKIW ATYCLB (fucking motherfucking typos) gets a two line, vaguely positive review and an A-.

That's some kind of fucked up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom