Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:25 AM
Damn. That is good. I used to read his reviews religiously the many years I lived in NYC and read The Village Voice cover to cover. Now I just don't think to seek him out.

I think I know YHF lyrics (and other criticized Wilco lyrics) by heart to the point that I have long since stopped thinking about them, but I still think lines like "I want to hold you in the bible-black pre-dawn" are gorgeous.

Much as I love YHF, I think that's the record where I do get what laz means about his vocals. To me the songs are so rich but the vocals are restrained to the point of being almost lifeless - maybe because he was so sick during recording. The new Pitchfork review refers to his vocals as "disheveled," which is perfect.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #92
45:33

Local Time: 05:25 AM
Wilco Rushmores?

Sunken Treasure / Misunderstood / I Am Trying To Break Your Heart / Heavy Metal Drummer

I love the lyrics to Sunken Treasure so much. What a beautiful way to look at a fractured relationship.

There's rows and rows of houses
With windows painted blue
And the light from the TV
Running parallel to you

But there is no sunken treasure
Rumoured to be
Wrapped inside my ribs
In a sea
Black with ink

I am so
Outta tune
With you

I am so
Outta tune
With you

If I had a mountain
I'd try to fold it over
If I had a boat
You know I'd probably roll over

And I leave it on the shore
I'd leave it for somebody
Surely there's somebody
Who needs it more than me

I am so
Outta tune
With you

I am so
Outta tune
With you

For all the leaves we burn
In autumn fires and then return
For all the fires we burn
All will return

Music is my saviour
But I was maimed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
I was tamed by rock and roll
I got my name from rock and roll

Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I know I was being hyperbolic earlier about Christgau. But seriously, go to his 'consumer guide'. Achtung Baby gets a little lit-fuse-bomb emoticon. EYKIW ATYCLB (fucking motherfucking typos) gets a two line, vaguely positive review and an A-.

That's some kind of fucked up.
And on that ATYCLB review he concludes with "If I know anything, which with this band I never have, their best."

At least he's admitting he just doesn't get them in the way everyone else does. And he gave B+ to the critically-divisive R&H and TUF.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Wilco Rushmores?

Sunken Treasure / Misunderstood / I Am Trying To Break Your Heart / Heavy Metal Drummer

I love the lyrics to Sunken Treasure so much. What a beautiful way to look at a fractured relationship.
Gorgeous song.

I don't love Heavy Metal Drummer the way everyone else does. Maybe I'm tired of it? Love the intro.

I'd go with Via Chicago or At Least That's What You Said instead. Maybe even Ashes.

Did we ever do a Wilco survivor?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I love this Wilco talk. A Survivor would be great - I might even pay again for the ability to create polls. After we are done with the Rolling Stones, I guess.

I can't do a Rushmore. Too many to choose from. My shortlist would be:

Sunken Treasure
Poor Places
Spiders
Jesus Etc
One Sunday Morning
Impossible Germany

I will hate this list in a few minutes, but I feel it's a good combination of their various styles. Perhaps I'm missing some of the more jammy songs, but I tend to like those more in concert than in the records.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Poor Places, One Sunday Morning

Poor Places might have to be on my Rushmore. Too many to choose from.

There are the headphones Rushmores, the road trip Rushmores, the live Rushmores....
Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #97
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
I don't love Heavy Metal Drummer the way everyone else does. Maybe I'm tired of it? Love the intro.

I don't like it either. It kind of epitomized what I disliked about the band for a long time.

I do have to say that I like Jesus Etc. quite a bit as of the last few years.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post

Who are you and what have you done with our friend mofo???!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #99
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Who are you and what have you done with our friend mofo???!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It makes me happy to see so much Wilco talk here! They're my other favorite band besides U2. I thought the end of last week was going to be all about getting excited about seeing U2 for the first time in ten years, then Star Wars dropped. I'm disappointed they're not coming through my area again this tour. They used to play Baltimore/DC and Philly really regularly. In the meantime, I have an excellent album to hold me over.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #101
Blue Crack Distributor

I've only listened once but liked it quite a bit.

Super excited to see them (FRONT ROW WHAAAAAAT) in a few weeks.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

I listened to it again on the way home from work. It's really solid. I mean, I don't think it's spectacular or anything, and I kinda lose a little interest about halfway through (which isn't a good thing for such a short album), but it's a solid 7, 7.5 and I don't dislike a note on it.

No matter what, though, I'm glad it exists for You Satellite alone.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
It makes me happy to see so much Wilco talk here! They're my other favorite band besides U2. I thought the end of last week was going to be all about getting excited about seeing U2 for the first time in ten years, then Star Wars dropped. I'm disappointed they're not coming through my area again this tour. They used to play Baltimore/DC and Philly really regularly. In the meantime, I have an excellent album to hold me over.
Hadn't seen you here in a long time. We missed you in the Wilco thread.

I'm disappointed they are skipping the Northeast, but hopefully they'll extend their tour. Their latest shows in NYC (I think it was 2013?) were wonderful.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
One Sunday Morning

Quote:
One Sunday Morning

Quote:
Hello.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 AM   #105
45:33

Local Time: 05:25 AM
I would definitely be keen for a Wilco survivor. I listened to Being There for the first time in ages today (gosh I've been on such a Wilco kick this past week or so). I had grown irrationally annoyed of it, because Misunderstood and Sunken Treasure are just by so far the two best songs on it for me, and so it was like "urgh I really wanna get into this but I just wanna hear those two songs, the others are all filler of varying quality" for a while. But today I was going on a long-ish drive and so I put the whole thing on and I had forgotten how enjoyable it is. Great record for driving. If you just put the album on and let it play nearly all the songs reveal their own charm and it makes for a great listen overall. There's some great vocal moments on it too... his voice has a creak to it and there are several times where he almost cracks, it's great.

Quote:
Gorgeous song.

I'd go with Via Chicago or At Least That's What You Said instead. Maybe even Ashes.

Did we ever do a Wilco survivor?
Heavy Metal Drummer is the expendable song on my Rushmore (which I'm already not happy with). You could replace it with Ashes of American Flags or Hotel Arizona or a handful of others. And I suspect a tune or two from Summerteeth will get on there, just ordered it.

Also, Sunken Treasure, Misunderstood and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart are all essentially the same song, six-ish minutes long, mostly acoustic indie balladry with some really noisy, almost atonal turns. So I definitely have a type

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I don't like it either. It kind of epitomized what I disliked about the band for a long time.

Jesus Etc is prob my least fav on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Heavy Metal Drummer I just find super fucking fun and catchy, but also has a bit of weight to it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I listened to it again on the way home from work. It's really solid. I mean, I don't think it's spectacular or anything, and I kinda lose a little interest about halfway through (which isn't a good thing for such a short album), but it's a solid 7, 7.5 and I don't dislike a note on it.

No matter what, though, I'm glad it exists for You Satellite alone.
This is pretty much how I feel about it.