Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Star Wars was one of those albums that had good number of good songs but they're not intensely memorable and kinda leave you unsatisfied. I kinda felt the same way from new RHCP record. Star Wars was better though.

Didn't think it was possible for them to do something dumber than calling an album "Wilco (The Album)".

Apparently I was wrong.

Not even the coolness of Cornella's participation can save them.

Star Wars was fine. Slight, certainly, and mildly disappointing following a fantastic album like The Whole Love, but give me Star Wars over snoozers like Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album).

You shut your mouth, LeMel - Sky Blue Sky is awesome.

Excited for the new album and excited to see them in September yay.

I'm really enjoying Schmilco. Quite a lot, actually. It's feels like a natural continuation from Star Wars, despite the differences in the sound they are going for, but it's perhaps more compelling lyrically and definitely more at ease with itself. Lyrically there's some interesting stuff there, which the CoS review managed to capture well.

Wilco – Schmilco | Album Reviews | Consequence of Sound

Common Sense is possibly the most interesting song there, but Cry All Day has such a nice melody that I find myself humming it already.

Between this, Star Wars, and The Whole Love, the 2010s have been a really good decade for them so far.

Last edited:
I agree. The bookends, Art of Almost and One Sunday Morning, are top echelon Wilco.

It's a really good album. Subtle and skillfully written, with just enough quirks and intriguing turns to make it feel a bit disquieting. In that respect, I can hear some carryover from Star Wars, but this is a much more focused album.

I guessed 7.2 and was SO close. Fittingly middling for this band.

This was one of the typical Pitchfork reviews that read much better than the rating. Most other places are giving it better grades.

Its current 81 metascore ties it with A Ghost Is Born and puts it well ahead of their late 00s efforts. Reviews have been very positive.

There was a strange 4/10 outlier from Drowned in Sound, the only mixed/negative review, that spends three paragraphs talking about the album and another five talking about the good old days.

Its current 81 metascore ties it with A Ghost Is Born and puts it well ahead of their late 00s efforts. Reviews have been very positive.

There was a strange 4/10 outlier from Drowned in Sound that only spends three paragraphs talking about the album and another five talking about the good old days.

Yeah, the only Wilco albums I would define as middling are those two late 00s, SBS and (The Album). And even those two have good stuff like Impossible Germany or Bull Black Nova.

lol at them ever making anything as good as A Ghost Is Born again

It's called The Whole Love.

There are some astonishing songs on AGIB and I would put it ahead of everything else that followed except the aforementioned, but it's too long and loses focus at the end. Most of it was better realized on Kicking Television as well.

Pretty certain Ghost is my favorite Wilco album. The Whole Love is the next best thing since.

And I was just popping by to say I liked Star Wars better. :lol:

The songs sounded great live last weekend, though.

I used to hate these guys so much, and I don't even know why. I haven't even heard it, and it makes me happy knowing they have a new album and good friends from the present and past are likely enjoying it. Music causes weird feelings, especially when you've been drinking a lot of alcohol.

Last edited:
I've seen them 4 times now, and I just really, really dig them.

Sky Blue Sky and The Whole Love are my favorites, although Summerteeth and Being There are close.

There really isn't an album of theirs I don't like a lot (barring this and Ster Wars but only because ice only listened to each ever once). Pretty sure Iw as one of the only people here willing to go up to bat for Wilco (The Album) at the time. Maybe still?

I think Wilco is putting together a really good decade for themselves. The Whole Love is their most acclaimed album since at least 2004, Star Wars was a great gift for fans with some terrific standouts and Schmilco is yet another good one that's completely different from the last two. They're definitely closing out the 2010s better than they did the 2000s.

Part of it is that, I don't know, it really felt like Sky Blue Sky and Wilco (The Album) were self-consciously low-key and unassuming, as if they were purposely reining in their creativity after A Ghost Is Born. The new albums tread somewhat similar ground in some respects, but they feel more lived-in and natural to me.

Last edited:
I used to hate these guys so much, and I don't even know why. I haven't even heard it, and it makes me happy knowing they have a new album and good friends from the present and past are likely enjoying it. Music causes weird feelings, especially when you've been drinking a lot of alcohol.

Maybe you need to get back on the VWagon. Stick to drinking Wilcoffee.

It's particularly impressive to have this good a run when they are now well into their third decade (with different formations of course). It does feel they finally managed to find a way to balance out the weirdness and tension of their early 2000s albums with more self-assured songwriting, while bringing something new every time. It helps that Jeff is in a better place now - or maybe not so much a better place, but a place with a better perspective.

And the live show continues to deliver, perhaps better than anyone. I've now seen them every tour since Sky Blue Sky, and I'm not sure which show I like better. The Star Wars show I saw was outstanding.

I'm enjoying this more than Star Wars. It's very laid-back but there is enough happening to keep you interested. And most of the songs are just good. If I Ever Was A Child is the stand-out so far for me.

With their last two albums Wilco has seemingly stopped trying to make their albums big statements. That's the vibe I get at least. Even if it's just because the albums are short and without a show-stopping longer track.

Being There, Summerteeth, and Yankee Hotel are their three best and they haven't made another one that's even very close.

I don't think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their best album.

I mean, it's close, oh yeah. But I'd have to reach for either Summerteeth or A Ghost is Born first.

YHF is chock full of awesome hooks front to back, sonically lush and I Am Trying To Break Your Heart might be my favorite song from them. A Ghost is Born is more adventurous to my ears. At least in a direction I find more appealing.

Back
Top Bottom