Wilco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few off the top of my head since Peef mentioned Los Camps:

"Bob Dylan's Dream"
"The Good, the Bad, and the Queen" (underrated group and album, by the way)
"Okkervil River Song"
"Sigur Rós"

Only less than great tune there is from the Iceland boys.

The Clash have a song called "Clash City Rockers" that kicks ass.

Bruce and the E-Streeters have a song called "The E-Street Shuffle" and it kicks ass.

Arctic Monkeys have a song called "Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?" and it kicks ass.

CSS has a song called "CSS Sucks" and it kicks ass.

"The Good, the Bad, and the Queen" (underrated group and album, by the way)

God, they're my favorite one-off group besides The Postal Service.

Yeah, the "Wilco (The Song)" title isn't that terrible. It's better than naming the entire chorus, that's for sure.

I've never heard a Wilco album, but have the opportunity to get their 2009 album right now. Should I listen to something before I listen to that, or is it OK to start with the newest record?

I've never heard a Wilco album, but have the opportunity to get their 2009 album right now. Should I listen to something before I listen to that, or is it OK to start with the newest record?

It might be best to start with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But, actually, I don't think this new one is a bad place to start either. I say go for it.

Wilco are one of very, very few bands who I think can be properly gotten into by listening to their live album first. Kicking Television is one of the best I've ever heard. I usually tell people to take that or YHF as their launch point.

I started with Yankee then kept going forward, then did pre-Yank stuff. Summerteeth is a real gem.

I think you're just a widdle upset you can't come up with some In Lameblows-esque pun for it.

Listened to WTA again today, to see if my late-night rant on Saturday was justified. Firstly, yes, it is indeed a confirmed rumor that the first four tracks kick all kinds of ass. I forgot just how intense Bull Black Nova really was. Solitaire left more of an impact on me than it did on first listen, and I'll Fight is one of Wilco's best straightforward dad-rock pop songs. Very memorable, sounds like a classic right out of the box, better than nearly anything on Sky Blue Sky. Sonny Feeling is good times as well. Overall, I still enjoy the album quite a bit, even if tracks 5-7 are just there.

My question: is there any reason to like You And I beyond the fact that Leslie Feist (herself barely leaving an impact) sings on it? The melody is passable and the lyrical content rivals Boner's 00s output in cloying sentimentality and obtuse straightforwardness. And is there a more frustratingly obvious title for a collaborative song than You And I? Jeff Tweedy Writes A Pedestrian MOR Country Ballad For Leslie Feist To Whisper Over tops it, but that's all I can think of.

After listening to this record on vinyl all week, the first 6 songs on the album are set apart nicely from the latter 5 on the wax release. While I prefer the first half, ending with You Never Know, the second half is growing on me as well.

As a Wilco fan, Id already rate this album above Sky Blue Sky and AM and just below Summerteeth.

Saw them in Brooklyn last week but didn't have internet access until today. Great, great show with Leslie Feist joining them for You and I and then for California Stars with Edward Droste of Grizzly Bear.

The highlight of the show, however, was when Yo La Tengo joined Wilco for Spides. I can't think of a better song for them to play together, and the result was epic. Probably one of the best versions of Spiders out there.

YouTube - WILCO wtih YO LA TENGO- Spider (Kidsmoke) - Keyspan Park, Brooklyn 7-13-09

I was front row in front of Nels for the Wilmington show back on the 10th, then was fifth row center Sunday night for the show up near Niagara Falls. They sound as good as they ever have, and Jeff looks healthier and happier than I remember seeing him for a long time. I'm still not absolutely in love with the new album, but Bull Black Nova and One Wing are instant classics that come alive in concert, and there are quite a few other songs I enjoy.

A few pictures from Wilmington:

3714988601_4407cf475f.jpg

3714982583_a5d667895e.jpg

3715784296_1a62106ba7.jpg

They'll be touring in October and November, mostly if not entirely major markets, since LA and Brooklyn are the only major cities they've played since the album's release. I'd love to get to see them again, but I have a hunch they may play mostly in the midwest. I'm hoping to get down to NYC to see Nels play with a jazz trio, then with Mike Watt opening for M. Ward in Central Park the next night.

They were on Letterman the night before I moved, but I was glad to find out today that my DVR didn't get erased when I disconnected it, so I'm going to watch that performance soon.

I was front row in front of Nels for the Wilmington show back on the 10th, then was fifth row center Sunday night for the show up near Niagara Falls. They sound as good as they ever have, and Jeff looks healthier and happier than I remember seeing him for a long time. I'm still not absolutely in love with the new album, but Bull Black Nova and One Wing are instant classics that come alive in concert, and there are quite a few other songs I enjoy.

A few pictures from Wilmington:

They'll be touring in October and November, mostly if not entirely major markets, since LA and Brooklyn are the only major cities they've played since the album's release. I'd love to get to see them again, but I have a hunch they may play mostly in the midwest. I'm hoping to get down to NYC to see Nels play with a jazz trio, then with Mike Watt opening for M. Ward in Central Park the next night.

They were on Letterman the night before I moved, but I was glad to find out today that my DVR didn't get erased when I disconnected it, so I'm going to watch that performance soon.

Thanks for the info about Nels shows in NY, I didn't know about that. I will make sure to attend at least one of the two!

I hope they come back to the NY area in the fall, I'd love to see this tour on a small venue (Keyspan Park was just too big).

Any one buying tickets for the chicago shows tommorow? I think I'll probably buy some as I'll be living in Chicago by then.

Oct-01
Iowa City, IA University of Iowa - Main Lounge

Oct-02
St. Paul, MN Roy Wilkins Auditorium

Oct-04
Maryland Heights, MO Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
FARM AID 2009

Oct-06 Kansas City, MO The Crossroads

Oct-08
Cedar Park (Austin), TX Cedar Park Center

Oct-09
Dallas, TX The Palladium

Oct-10
Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre

Oct-12
Columbus, OH Wexner Center

Oct-14
Toronto, ON Massey Hall

Oct-16
Ann Arbor, MI Hill Auditorium

Oct-18
Chicago, IL UIC Pavilion

Oct-19
Chicago, IL UIC Pavilion

I'm most likely making the trip out to the Twin Cities, since I've got friends out there and I'm off for a few days around that time. :hyper:

What the fuck is Cedar Park Center?

Oh well. I'm there.

Another reason Wilco are the best: they hate Houston as much as I do.

What about the Chicago dates, NSW? The UIC Pavilion sucks, but if you for some reason wanna go, why not hit up one of them shows, if your schedule allows it? There are worse venues...

Back
Top Bottom