Wilco - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #556
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Maybe it depends on the venue but in general I wouldn't really describe Wilco audiences as hipster college kids. At all. (See: mom liking A Ghost is Born.)

yeah, but during the school year at the calvin in northampton, ma--it's pretty much a haven for those idiots.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:51 AM
It's good to see this thread alive and well. I'm itching to see the guys again, it's been months now.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #558
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
yeah, but during the school year at the calvin in northampton, ma--it's pretty much a haven for those idiots.
So next time just shove their annoying asses out of your way like you usually do and have a good time.

I'm all anxious about cori seeing them for the first time. I want a good review (as in, a proper review, which I hope is a positive one. No pressure or anything. ).
Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #559
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:51 PM
A proper review? Like, writing more than two sentences on how I liked it? Will I be shunned if I don't recognize all the songs?

I'm embarrassed to say that I have all their albums and enjoy them all, but don't listen to them all enough to be able to pick some of them out of a line-up.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #560
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
A proper review? Like, writing more than two sentences on how I liked it? Will I be shunned if I don't recognize all the songs?

I'm embarrassed to say that I have all their albums and enjoy them all, but don't listen to them all enough to be able to pick some of them out of a line-up.
Just giving you a hard time. You requested California Stars, that's all that matters.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #561
The Male

When I saw them, I knew none of the Mermaid Avenue material, and wasn't terribly familiar with a lot of the pre-Summerteeth material (although I did know enough to be excited by Sunken Treasure opening the set). One of the best shows I've ever seen, regardless. Made their already great albums pale in comparison.

Not to hype them up too much but, hey, what the hell. Not gonna lie.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #562
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Just giving you a hard time.
Why are you so meeeeeeeeeeean?

I finally had to call to ask if there was an opening band - no info anywhere online that I could find. If I understood the person correctly, the opening band is ... Calaphone? Something like that?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Why are you so meeeeeeeeeeean?

I finally had to call to ask if there was an opening band - no info anywhere online that I could find. If I understood the person correctly, the opening band is ... Calaphone? Something like that?
Because it's so eeeeeeeeasy. And demanding a review only emphasizes my excitement about you seeing them.

No clue about that opening band.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #564
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #565
Blue Crack Distributor

At 7:46 this morning, my ass was still in bed, sister-friend. I'm so glad I took a vacation day today.

Here is my review, all for joyfulgirl, in handy random numbered list form.

1. Nels Cline is fucking insane. I spent most of the time watching him go apeshit on his guitar.

2. When I could see, that is. I started out fairly close, but could not see a damn thing. I was worried about standing in the back under the overhang of the balcony for fears the sound would suffer.

2a. Turns out the sound was fine in the back. I couldn't see much better.

2b. Thank god Nels is so tall, so I could at least mostly see him.

3. I'm usually not a big fan of the big wall of noise and feedback, but maybe it was the mood, maybe it was the music, maybe it was the delicious club sandwich I'd had for dinner, but everytime they built that sound, it just sounded like the most amazing thing ever. I was slightly in awe at the end of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

3a. Although before the feedback died away, I had to break out the earplugs. I usually don't feel like I need them at concerts, but this one I did. Probably due to it being indoors and all.

4. I think I recognized/knew all the songs except for one or two. Even if I didn't recognize it right away, by the time the chorus came around, I'd think "Oh, yeah, I know this one."

4a. The only song I didn't like was the song they played at the start of the encore ... I don't know what it was. It broke into sections, some with a waltz feel, some little interludes like Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Didn't care for it.

5. Note to self: Learn more lyrics to Jesus, Etc - only knowing the first two lines does not help you when Jeff has the whole audience sing 90% of the song on their own.

5a. That was neat.

5b. He claimed we were much better than Portland, but he might have just been kissing our asses.

6. I loved that they came out to the Price Is Right theme - how delightfully random!

7. They played California Stars!

7a. Onstage with them were Scott McCaughey and Bill Frissell. (sp?)

8. They played for a good two hours, which was good bang for the buck.

9. I bought a tee shirt, partly because they were only $20, and after spending so much on a U2 concert shit, it just smelled like a bargain I couldn't pass up.

10. Glad I went, would definitely go again.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #566
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:51 AM
All bands should sell t-shirts for $20 or $15. I'd buy so much crap if no one charged more than that.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #567
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
but everytime they built that sound, it just sounded like the most amazing thing ever. I was slightly in awe at the end of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

Quote:

4a. The only song I didn't like was the song they played at the start of the encore ... I don't know what it was. It broke into sections, some with a waltz feel, some little interludes like Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Didn't care for it.
"Pieholden Suite" from Summerteeth? A lot of people don't like that song. I always liked it, mostly for the last verse.

I also have a $20 Wilco t-shirt. It's like a baseball shirt with an upside-down shopping cart on the back.

And yes, the lyrics to Jesus, etc. are worth learning though it, too, surprised me that it's become a sing-along.

Anyway, yay. You liked it.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #568
Blue Crack Distributor

It's funny - I know a lot of the song titles, while I might not know the song very well, but I was wondering if that song was Pieholden Suite, just because it sounded like it was a suite!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's funny - I know a lot of the song titles, while I might not know the song very well, but I was wondering if that song was Pieholden Suite, just because it sounded like it was a suite!
It doesn't have any Take Me Out to the Ballgame-ish interludes, tho, unless that's a new thing they do now. It's kind of a benign little song and doesn't seem like the kind that would evoke a "I don't like that song" reaction live. But then again I've never heard it live. I guess it could be boring or kind of a let down after some of that wall-of-sound-most-amazing-thing-ever stuff. The more I think about it, yeah, it would probably be a good time to pee.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #570
Blue Crack Distributor

I'll have to poke around to see where/when a setlist gets posted and let you know what it was.

Tags
wilco