Wilco - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #421
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Sad news about Jay indeed. I know many Wilco fans never really got over his fights with Jeff, but I'm sure the band is pretty devastated...

Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #422
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:00 AM
RIP Jay Bennett

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #423
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Jay Bennett's Family Issues Letter to Fans After His Death - Spinner

As previously reported, ex-Wilco multi-instrumentalist Jay Bennett passed away on Monday, in his sleep. While the cause of death is still publicly unknown, his family sent an email out to his mailing list on Wednesday morning, hoping to clear up some potential rumors ... and to end things on a high note.

The email states that "Jay was in a really good place these past few years" and that, contrary to common perception, he looked back on his seven years with Wilco both fondly and proudly. He was knee-deep in work on another solo album and was also taking graduate classes to pursue his "umpteenth degree" at the time of his death.

Most notably, the message clears up any misconceptions about Bennett's battle with Wilco, which he took public earlier this month (in an attempt to recoup money he claimed he was rightfully owed). According to the email, the lawsuit was four years in the making, was very emotional and stressing for Bennett, and had nothing to do with his impending hip surgery. In a post that he wrote on his MySpace blog in April, Bennett revealed that he did not have health insurance and was trying to scrape together money for long-overdue and urgently needed hip surgery.

The email ends with a message of love. Literally. While many fans have paid homage to Bennett this week by pulling out their favorite Bennett-era Wilco albums, the email urges fans to "listen to a Nick Lowe album, watch some 'Mythbusters' on Discovery, play Warren Zevon's 'Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner,' rent 'Pay It Forward' (one of his favorite movies), write a song with the TV on and the sound off."

The email ends with: "...and focus on how Jay always concluded his communications: Love, Jay."

Old 05-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #424
Blue Crack Addict

Found the whole letter:

First, let it be known that Jay was in a really good place these past few years. He had returned to the area he loved--the “Twin Cities,” Champaign-Urbana--and resurrected his studio, Pieholden Suite Sound, with the assistance of many dear friends and allies. Jay had been busy making music. He recently had released an intimate record entitled “Whatever Happened I Apologize,” and he was looking forward to wrapping up his new work, “Kicking at the Perfumed Air.” Proud of finishing a trilogy of records, including “Bigger Than Blue,” “The Beloved Enemy,” and “The Magnificent Defeat,” Jay loved the balanced yet ironic album titles. He was also looking forward to engineering and releasing Titanic Love Affair’s previously unreleased record, as well as starting work on “The Palace at 4 a.m. Part II,” the follow-up to his post-Wilco debut with Edward Burch. “Jay the Academic” had also reemerged, pursuing his umpteenth degree at the University of Illinois, and he was thrilled to be taking graduate classes again.

As many of you may be aware, Jay had finally found the courage to put his Wilco issues out into the public forum. After a long, four-year process (and therefore very much unrelated to his impending hip surgery), formal filings against Wilco were finally initiated. This task was very emotional for Jay. He was a “lover,” and this confrontation was not easy for him. With the exception of his final period in Wilco, Jay looked back on his time in the band with great fondness and pride. While he was dismayed that some people may have formed a narrow perception of him via the “documentary,” all who truly knew him understood that with most entertainment media, editing is usually constructed for dramatic effect and presents only a small part of a larger, more complex reality.

So, please spend some time this week engaging in Jay’s favorite passions: listen to a Nick Lowe album, watch some Mythbusters on Discovery, play Warren Zevon’s “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner,” rent Pay It Forward (one of his favorite movies), write a song with the TV on and the sound off, and focus on how Jay always concluded his communications:

“Love, Jay.”
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a little bit sadder each day.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #426
The Male

Local Time: 12:00 AM
I think I actually like this album more on the second listen. Still wouldn't consider it truly great, as it reverts right back to the yawning Sky Blue Sky with the Feist track, but damn if those first four tracks don't kick all kinds of ass. This could have been an eclectic masterpiece, it was moving in that direction, but I'm more than content with this. As far as albums released specifically so an artist can have something to tour with, I would take this over Bruuuuuuce's Working On A Dream any day.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can anyone send me the album? coemgen17@hotmail.com

I listened to the stream and when I got hooked they took it down.

Definitely sad about Bennett.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #428
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
“Love, Jay.”
Really, really nicely written article about Bennett in the paper the other day...some of it focused on this same thing...how he would sign all of his E-Mails "Love, Jay" and how that became a nickname of sorts for him amongst people down in Champaign/Urbana where he was living. Love Jay. The more I read and hear about this, the clearer it becomes that this was a very special and beloved individual.

I'm gonna try to find that article online or something and post it here.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #429
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Saw Wilco last night here in Cincinnati, the new stuff sounds incredible, especially Bull Black Nova. I will have a full review and pics on my site soon, but until then, here was the setlist....

1. Wilco (the Song)
2. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
3. Company In My Back
4. Bull Black Nova
5. You Are My Face
6. One Wing
7. Handshake Drugs
8. Side With the Seeds
9. A Shot In the Arm
10. At Least That's What You Said
11. Sonny Feeling
12. Jesus, etc.
13. Impossible Germany
14. California Stars
15. You Never Know
16. Hummingbird
17. Misunderstood >>>
18. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Encore 1:
19. The Late Greats
20. Hate It Here
21. Walken
22. I'm the Man Who Loves You
23. I'm A Wheel
Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #430
Refugee

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Killer setlist. Swap Muzzle of Bees for H'bird, Poor Places for Late Greats, and throw in Ashes of American Flags, and you're approaching my handpicked set.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #431
Refugee

very cool set. bull black nova is the one song i am most excited to hear from the new album live.

how was the transition from misunderstood to spiders? they usually seem to have a pretty cool way away of transitioning into spiders.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #432
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Been listening to the new album a lot the last week or so. It's a fun album. The duo of I'll Fight and Sonny Feeling is just awesome. And Sonny Feeling gets my vote for song title of the year.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #433
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelmet View Post
very cool set. bull black nova is the one song i am most excited to hear from the new album live.

how was the transition from misunderstood to spiders? they usually seem to have a pretty cool way away of transitioning into spiders.

It was a great transition, very seamless. And for the record, there were 28 "Nothin"'s on Misunderstood.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #434
Blue Crack Addict

Bull Black Nova is almost singularly making me regret not going to see any shows this summer.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #435
Refugee

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
...there were 28 "Nothin"'s on Misunderstood.

Wilco played ZERO new material at Jazz Fest last month -> sux

Tags
wilco