Wilco - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #406
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Wow. I hadn't heard that. How awful.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 PM
That sucks.

Tell me this, though. Is that documentary film thingy "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" worth seeing? And, if so, how would I go about seeing it? Should I just use my interwebz?

Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #408
The Male

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Oh my God. Wow. I can't believe this. I had to do a double-take, and even now it hasn't quite sunk in. This is awful.

RIP Jay

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict

Jay Bennett, dead at age 45 - Jim DeRogatis

Jay Bennett, a rock musician with deep ties to Chicago best known as a former member of Wilco, died early Sunday morning in downstate Urbana, where he had been running a recording studio, according to a spokesman for his family.

The singer and multi-instrumentalist was 45 years old.

"Early this morning, Jay died in his sleep and an autopsy is being performed," said Edward Burch, a friend and musician who collaborated with Bennett on the 2005 album "The Palace at 4 a.m." "The family is in mourning and is unavailable for comment at this time."

Born in the Chicago suburb of Rolling Meadows, Bennett began playing in bands as a teenager. He attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and earned multiple degrees in secondary education, math and political science. In between, he co-founded the Replacements-like power-pop band Titanic Love Affair, which released three albums during the alternative-rock heyday between 1991 and 1996, when it was dropped from its label.

Bennett was working at a VCR repair shop in Champaign when he was tapped to join Wilco as it toured in support of its first album, "A.M." A talented arranger and versatile musician who could play virtually any instrument he picked up, from mandolin to Mellotron, Bennett formed a fruitful partnership with Wilco bandleader Jeff Tweedy. His contributions over a seven-year period were key to the albums that resulted in the band's national breakthrough, including "Being There" (1996), "Summerteeth" (1999) and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (2002).

Relations between Bennett and Tweedy, both painstaking perfectionists, soured during the latter recording, as documented in the film "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," and Bennett left the band. Earlier this month, Bennett filed a lawsuit against Tweedy for breach of contract and unpaid artist's royalties, stemming in part from his role in the film.

In late April, Bennett wrote on his MySpace blog about dealing with intense pain from a hip injury suffered during a dive from the stage while playing with Titanic Love Affair. He was preparing to have surgery, but was concerned about his lack of health insurance. However, he also was looking forward to finishing his fifth solo album, "Kicking at the Perfumed Air," at his studio, Pieholden Suites, named after the song on "Summerteeth" that best encapsulates his talents as an arranger.

"This whole experience [with the hip pain] has really taught me to look both inward and outward for support, and I've learned things about myself that I thought I had completely figured out years ago," Bennett wrote. "Family and friends have helped me to keep faith in a future that will actually be much more carefree than my constricted present state. I encourage you all to tell me stories of recovery, as they really do help... All in all, I'm 'in a really good place' right now; I'm just waiting until I can make it all happen."

Bennett's former bandmates in Wilco are touring in Spain and could not be reached for comment. But Burch said he had spoken to bassist John Stirratt, and the band was "broken up" about the news.

"He was an extremely talented musician and a great person, and I'll miss him terribly," Burch added.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:10 PM
I think Jay had the reputation of being sort of a jerk, and he certainly could be at times, but his stubbornness was probably at least 99% because of his love of what he was doing and because he wanted to make the very best music possible.

I imagine Jeff and John must be devastated. They were off today, but taking the stage tomorrow night and playing songs that Jay helped to write will probably be incredibly difficult.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - Wilco - Poor Places
Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My condolences go out to Mr. Bennett's family and friends and all the Wilco fans.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #413
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
I'm sad to report that Jay Bennett died in his sleep last night. No word yet on the cause of death. I've always been most loyal to the current lineup of the band, but this is still horrible news. He was only 46.
Wow, that's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Tell me this, though. Is that documentary film thingy "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" worth seeing? And, if so, how would I go about seeing it? Should I just use my interwebz?
I really enjoyed it, and it got me to dig a little deeper into Wilco, as I'd only heard a little bit of their stuff when I saw it. Do you have Netflix? Not sure if Blockbuster and the like would have it. If not, I'm sure you can find it online - it must be around somewhere.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #414
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My heart is broken. The only worthwhile wheel on the Wilco express is now lost. Horrible, shattering, sad news. Ugh.

I will be listening to "Venus Stopped the Train" (Bennett's best song, and one on which he barely even let himself since backup vocals, in the Wilco version--even more depressing!) for the next 10 days, or something. So heartbroken...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #415
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Damn. Very sad news.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #416
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
I will be listening to "Venus Stopped the Train" (Bennett's best song,
Old 05-26-2009, 12:28 AM   #417
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Terrible news about Jay. I rocked the hell out of "My Darling" after hearing this.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #418
Refugee

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Sad news. I am pretty disappointed by the new album. I think its their worst.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #419
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:40 PM
Sad news. Billy Bragg has a really nice tribute on his site.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #420
Blue Meth Addict

Okkervil River to Open for Wilco

Wilco and Okkervil River:

06-25 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
06-26 Saratoga, CA - Mountain Winery
06-27 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre
06-28 Stateline, NV - Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena
06-30 Jacksonville, OR - Britt Pavilion
07-03 Morrison, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Tags