Wilco - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:53 AM
My proposal for a book about A Ghost Is Born for the 33 1/3 series got rejected

I love The Late Greats, but it doesn't feel like it's on the right album. I used to really enjoy Theologians, but I sort of burned out on it. I'd rank AGIB in my top three Wilco albums, behind Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Being There.

I finally got to hear them play Ashes of American Flags live last year. It was the first of the three shows in St. Louis, and I was front row in front of Nels, and I knew what it was as soon as they played the first few notes and was shocked. I'd requested it for every single Wilco show I'd gone to up to that point, and I couldn't believe they were actually playing it. It was sort of like Bad has been for me--on the set list and doesn't get played, or played the night before or after. It was so intense I completely forgot other people were there.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #287
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
My proposal for a book about A Ghost Is Born for the 33 1/3 series got rejected
Aw crap, I'm sorry.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks. I wasn't nearly as disappointed about it as I thought I'd be. I didn't think I'd be looking for a job this year when I sent in the proposal, so I think things worked out for the best. There's still one in the running for a book about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but I really hope they don't pick that one--I think a more recent Wilco album (even sometime down the line) will make for a more interesting read.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

sneak peak of Side with the Seeds from the new Wilco DVD

Wilco's new DVD: An exclusive full-song clip | Music news, reviews, albums, concerts, and downloads | The Music Mix | EW.com

Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Sweet.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Hey, I really like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And, because I suck and am a walking cliche, it's the only Wilco album I've ever heard. Light my path. What should be my next Wilco album?

Edit to Add: The only Wilco song I know that isn't on YHF is called "Let's Not Get Carried Away"...they play it a lot on my fave radio station. Kickass song.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

I would say either A Ghost is Born (more rock) or Summerteeth (more pop). As I recall, you like country music so you might like Being There as well.

Here's something from A Ghost is Born that is pretty awesome:
YouTube - Wilco - Muzzle of bees (Burn to shine 02: Chicago, IL)
Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, that was great. Thanks. Gorgeous little song and then the lead guitarist goes friggin nuts at the 4 minute mark.

A Ghost Is Born it is!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I recommend their live double disc, Kicking Television, because Wilco is brilliant live. It's got a nice mix of songs, mostly from YHF and A Ghost Is Born, and it's nice to hear how the current lineup performs those songs (Nels Cline and Pat Sansone joined the band right after AGIB was released). One of the colleges in my town is showing the DVD at their theatre next weekend, and I can't wait to see it.

If you're interested in more country-tinged rock, look for their first two albums, A.M. and Being There. Summerteeth has a very bubblegum pop feel to it in places, while A Ghost Is Born is in many ways a continuation of YHF, both thematically and musically, while Sky Blue Sky, their most recent album, has a more stripped-down, back-to-basics sound.

With Wilco, you really can't go wrong. I'm itching for them to announce the rest of their summer tour dates so I can start planning a road trip. I'm a little swamped with work right now, but I may be able to fix you up with a live recording or two at some point if you'd like.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Hey, I really like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And, because I suck and am a walking cliche, it's the only Wilco album I've ever heard. Light my path. What should be my next Wilco album?

Edit to Add: The only Wilco song I know that isn't on YHF is called "Let's Not Get Carried Away"...they play it a lot on my fave radio station. Kickass song.
I'd say go for the live album (Kicking Television), which has amazing versions of most songs from A Ghost Is Born. Summerteeth is a personal favorite as well.

Edit: BonoIsMyMuse beat me to it. But I totally agree, you can't go wrong with them, particularly the live stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #296
Blue Crack Addict

Wilco is probably the only band where I would agree with the suggestion of the live CD but it's true that any given Wilco song sounds exponentially better live than the original recording.

While I like a lot of the earlier songs better than the songs on A Ghost is Born as a whole, the current (and hopefully final) Wilco line-up is just so amazing that it's almost hard for me to go back and listen to early Wilco records with the old band. So, yeah, the live CD would be a great way to go.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

Is Nels Cline the dude that ripped that nasty solo at the end of the Muzzle of Bees video that joyful posted?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Is Nels Cline the dude that ripped that nasty solo at the end of the Muzzle of Bees video that joyful posted?
Yes. Nels is incredible. It's funny I almost mentioned to make sure you watch the whole thing so you wouldn't miss his solos. Jeff Tweedy is a fine guitarist in his own right as well. The whole band is a joy to watch.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Exactly, that's the man. He is phenomenal.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

He's my new favorite guitarist.

Tags
wilco