Wilco - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Having a Wilco moment. A few days after my best friend moved away he called me from a Wilco show and let me listen to this song, and it made me cry.
YouTube - Wilco - Muzzle of bees (Burn to shine 02: Chicago, IL)

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #242
Refugee

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Wilco offers free song if you promise to vote
By Jeremy Medina
on September 25, 2008 12:20 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

With the Nov. 4 presidential election looming and slowly becoming a reality (after what feels like an eternity of campaigning), Wilco has decided to take it upon itself to rally people to vote.

Through their website, Jeff Tweedy (above) and company are offering a free download of a cover of the 1967 Bob Dylan song "I Shall Be Released," recorded with Fleet Foxes live on tour in Bend, Ore. All one has to do is simply enter a name and e-mail address and click the button "I pledge to vote," and a download link is sent via e-mail.

"Such tumultuous times," the band says on the site. "And in the spirit of giveaways that seem to be sweeping the nation, we've got something free for you. No it's not a pile of cash (sorry) but rather an audio postcard of sorts from a summer's night in Oregon with our friends the Fleet Foxes & a lovely Bob Dylan tune. All we ask is you check the 'I pledge to vote in the 2008 Election' button below."

Notice how they never even mention either candidate. How diplomatic of them. Head here to give Wilco your pledge, and here to register to vote.
Wilco offers free song if you promise to vote :: Music News :: Articles :: Paste

Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Wilco

I got this email and forgot to download the song. I'll do it during lunch.

Now go look at that video I posted and tell me you love it.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #244
The Male

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Now go look at that video I posted and tell me you love it.
Indeed I do. Muzzle Of Bees improves exponentially live.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:22 AM
I love Nels's explosive solo at the end of live versions of Muzzle of Bees. I think Hummingbird remains my favorite track from A Ghost Is Born, but this one and Handshake Drugs are close seconds. I've seen that video before, and it's a terrific version.

Wilco will be playing the Bridge School Benefit October 25 and 26 and will be hitting the road opening for Neil Young in late November. They're spending the next month in the studio, though

I'll end with that, instead of gushing more. Suffice to say Wilco is largely to blame for why I'm not around here much anymore
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #246
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
I heard yet another Wilco song on the radio that I did not hate...

In all reality, I enjoyed the song and listened to hear who it was at the end, when they said it was Wilco, I instantly purged the track title from my mind because of the horror of thinking one day I may have to do the biggest musical 180 of my life
Old 09-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I instantly purged the track title from my mind because of the horror of thinking one day I may have to do the biggest musical 180 of my life[/SIZE]
Just surrender to it already. You know you want to.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

greetings all from HQ,

We'll try to be concise here as we've got a lot of news to report. First, some upcoming Wilco appearances:

On the TV this Thursday night (30 Oct. ) Wilco appear on the Colbert Report on Comedy Central @ 1130 edt. Be there or set your DVRs.

In person, this Saturday (1 Nov.) in Madison, Wis. Messrs. Tweedy, Stirratt and Sansone (the Wilco 3?) perform a "Concert for Change" at the Wisconsin Union Theatre (doors 11am/show noon). They'll be ably supported by words of inspiration from Wis. U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold and others.. More info here.

We've just added two headline shows for December on off days on the Neil Young tour. Rochester NY Auditorium Theater (6 Dec., on sale now) and Baltimore MD Lyric Opera House (14 Dec., onsale 31 Oct.). Info here.

There are also assorted solo shows upcoming. Among them: Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto @ Santos Party House New York 7 Nov.; Glenn Kotche w/ eighth blackbird @ Harris Theater Chicago 18 Nov.; Nels Cline Singers @ Cafe Du Nord San Francisco 19 Nov., and Jeff Tweedy @ the Ann Arbor (MI) Folk Festival 30 Jan. 09. Info at the assorted relevant sites.

Other news:

The band are just back from the Bridge School Benefit in SF -- their second time at one of the more beautiful events any of us have ever seen or been a part of. And to top it off, we got to witness the guys finish their set on Sunday with a moving version of "I shall be released" with a guest appearance by Neil and Pegi Young. Amazing stuff.

They've also been working away at The Loft on the as-yet-untitled next studio album. Lots of great stuff tracked already and much more to come. Expect to hear something out there in the world in the first half of '09. More updates on this as things develop.

Speaking of "I Shall be Released", the version recorded this summer with the Fleet Foxes is still available for download at the cost of a mere pledge to vote in the US elections next Tuesday (4 Nov.). We should add that if you are not a US citizen or for other reasons ineligible to vote, we'll settle for a good deed of your choosing (how about, for instance, giving someone who CAN vote a reminder phone call or a ride to the polls?). Click here for the download and more info.

Also, we have a CONSUMER ALERT. Without consulting us, the DVD company (not WB/Nonesuch) that released "I am trying to break your heart" is about to issue a Blu-Ray Edition which, no surprise, costs considerably more (nearly 2x) than the standard DVD. We're unsure as to the rationale for the release, given that the film was shot in beautiful grainy B&W and has a stereo-only audio track... there is, in our opinion, not much to be gained by spending the extra cash. It's your money... and in this case you should probably hang onto it.

Lastly, we implore you to vote next Tuesday, if not sooner. Many states are still offering early voting. For info on that or about your polling place, etc. go to: W I L C O It's never been more important. Fear and complacency are our silent enemies.

see you out there soon.

Wilco HQ
W I L C O
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - jeff tweedy interview, the colbert report, oct 30/08
YouTube - wilco - the colbert report - october 30, 2008
Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:22 AM
The main page of Wilco's website features this picture today:

Jeff Tweedy was spotted in Grant Park last night, and there's already plenty of rumbling about the possibility of Wilco playing at an inaugural celebration of some sort.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Been checking out that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album in recent weeks......maybe it's early days and I need to listen more....but they seem quite average as a band, nothing majorly remarkable, critical acclaim seems attributable to the fact that the frontman sings like an American version of Thom Yorke.....

Radio Cure is a beautiful song, the Heavy Metal Drummer tune is rather nice, Kamera chuggs along nicely and is catchy yet could pass off as a Gin Blossoms song in all fairness, just with a Thom Yorke vocal.....

I'll listen more......
Old 12-10-2008, 06:31 PM   #252
The Male

In what way is Jeff Tweedy similar to Thom Yorke?

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
In what way is Jeff Tweedy similar to Thom Yorke?
Just something a little whiny and breathy and wimpy about the voice and that's not a criticism, and there's something appealingly raw in the pronounciation of the lyrics, very rustic vocal....
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
The main page of Wilco's website features this picture today:

Holy Fuck! Is Obama joining Wilco?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

I always thought the band was too "white", but this solution is a bit too much.

Tags
wilco