Wilco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out some of his jazz stuff if you're feeling brave. It's brilliant, but it's definitely not for everybody. I recommend his most recent solo album, Coward, or any of his three albums with his trio, the Nels Cline Singers (The Giant Pin is probably my favorite).

YouTube - The Nels Cline Singers, "Thurston County"

I have a few other videos I shot of them last summer up on my YouTube page.

For what it's worth, Nels is one of the nicest people I've ever met. A guy that talented could get away with having a bit of an ego, but he's really friendly and down-to-earth.

I have a friend who is Nels' doppelganger. It's really freaky. I show everyone who knows him videos featuring Nels and they're all like :ohmy:

Check out some of his jazz stuff if you're feeling brave. It's brilliant, but it's definitely not for everybody. I recommend his most recent solo album, Coward, or any of his three albums with his trio, the Nels Cline Singers (The Giant Pin is probably my favorite).

YouTube - The Nels Cline Singers, "Thurston County"

I have a few other videos I shot of them last summer up on my YouTube page.

For what it's worth, Nels is one of the nicest people I've ever met. A guy that talented could get away with having a bit of an ego, but he's really friendly and down-to-earth.

This video is great, thanks for posting. I need to look into some of his solo stuff. I only have Interstellar Space Revisited (as I'm a Coltrane fan) which, while good, is not as pleasant to listen to as the video you posted. Is Coward more melodic?

They certainly couldn't sound any worse!

~Requisite u2popmofo is a negative-nancy in regards to Wilco post

:wink:

Will you be wearing the same Hawaiian shirt to see U2 in Chicago that you wore to the Radiohead show?

No but it took all afternoon to try to get you back and that's all I had.

Well, it worked. I was assuming I was a forgetful idiot who didn't remember some annoying schmuck at Radiohead with a Hawaiian shirt or something. and it was driving me nuts trying to remember.

In all reality, I've nearly eaten crow on my long time Wilco stance. At this point I just like to try to add some sort of outlandish ridiculous negative comment from time to time to live up to expectations, despite not actually thinking that way any longer. :wink:

I just loved the idea of Mr. Indie in a Hawaiian shirt.

So go to your room, watch that video I posted, and think about all your Wilco wrongness.

I'll be seeing Ashes of American Flags on the big screen Monday night, bitches.

Yes. Nels is incredible. It's funny I almost mentioned to make sure you watch the whole thing so you wouldn't miss his solos. Jeff Tweedy is a fine guitarist in his own right as well. The whole band is a joy to watch.

Nels is certainly a superior guitarist from a technical standpoint, but I've got to give Tweedy props for the At Least That's What You Said solo, which is arguably my favorite Wilco moment ever.

Ummm, yeah. I might be falling in love with Wilco. As we speak. Isn't that a great feeling? When you start to really dive into a band's catalogue and you realize "This is going to become one of my favorite bands."

Shit. Well I had no idea that this band wrote the song The Late Greats. I've heard that song dozens of times, always loved it...that's a wonderful melody. Great song. And SNAP! it's a Wilco song. You learn something new every day.

I will report back with more as I progress on my journey of Wilco discovery.

Ummm, yeah. I might be falling in love with Wilco. As we speak. Isn't that a great feeling? When you start to really dive into a band's catalogue and you realize "This is going to become one of my favorite bands."

Shit. Well I had no idea that this band wrote the song The Late Greats. I've heard that song dozens of times, always loved it...that's a wonderful melody. Great song. And SNAP! it's a Wilco song. You learn something new every day.

I will report back with more as I progress on my journey of Wilco discovery.

:love:

oh man, a 22 page thread on Wilco. Awesome.

here are new dates, for your interest:

JUN-12 CINCINNATI, OH ARANOFF CENTER
JUN-13 MANCHESTER, TN BONNAROO
JUN-15 OKLAHOMA CITY, OK BRICKTOWN EVENTS
JUN-17 EL PASO, TX ABRAHAM CHAVEZ
JUN-18 TUCSON, AZ CENTENNIAL HALL
JUN-22 LOS ANGELES, CA WILTERN THEATER
JUN-23 LOS ANGELES, CA WILTERN THEATER
JUN-20 POMONA, CA FOX THEATRE
JUN-27 BERKELEY, CA GREEK THEATER
JUN-28 STATELINE, NV LAKE TAHOE OUTDOOR ARENA
JUN-30 JACKSONVILLE, OR BRITT PAVILION

and they're webcasting one of the Milwaukee shows from the Pabst Theatre this week. I see them in Knoxville on 4/18 and Asheville 4/21

Oooh, I might be able to make that El Paso show while traveling for work.

I'd go to that one if I felt like ever driving to El Paso. Which I don't.

They need to press Kicking Television on vinyl. Maybe they'll do it for the impending reissues.

I forgot about the webcast. :grumpy:

More tour dates. Red Rocks. :drool: That's the day after my best friend's birthday and he's a huge Wilco fan though I had said no more shows this year because of the U2 bankruptcy priority.

JUN 19 Las Vegas, NV The Joint
JUL 03 Morrison, CO Red Rocks
JUL 08 Vienna, VA Wolf Trap
JUL 10 Wilmington, DE Frawley Stadium
JUL 11 Lowell, MA LeLacheur Park
JUL 13 Brooklyn, NY Keyspan Park
JUL 17 Portland, ME Maine State Pier
JUL 18 Wappingers Falls, NY Dutchess Stadium
JUL 19 Lewiston, NY Art Park
AUG 25 London, UK Troxy
AUG 27 Dublin, IRE Vicar Street

I'm most likely selling my U2 tickets to do some Wilco shows. They just mean so much more to me right now. :reject:

I'm not thrilled about these dates, though. The locations are fine, but they're in a strange order--Delaware to Massachusetts, then back to Brooklyn, then to Maine? There are a lot of difficult driving days. There will be a show in New England or upstate NY on the 14th or 15th, I'm guessing. Their manager recently bought a house in Northampton (Jeff announced during his solo show there last month), so I'll be surprised if it's not there.

I may do either Vienna and Wilmington or the last three dates of the tour. I've never been to Maine, so that's a plus.

Also, for anyone who's interested, Nels and Mike Watt are opening for M. Ward's (free, I think?) show in Central Park August 1.

Back
Top Bottom