Why do so many non-American or UK singers sing with an American accent? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Why do so many non-American or UK singers sing with an American accent?

I've always wondered about this.

It's not like it is difficult to sing words like can't and path with a British accent.

Was listening to Achtung Baby today where Bono pretty much sounds American.

You buried your treasure where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret that's been passed around

lol.

I guess there are some exceptions... like Pink Floyd.

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland awayyyyyyyyyyyy
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,600
Local Time: 04:35 AM
When I became a fan of U2 I thought they were American because of Bono's accent.
__________________

__________________
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:35 PM
Zoots, do you sing with an American accent?
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 04:35 AM

I have a bigger problem with UK actors speaking with an American accent. Yes, I'm looking at you, Hugh Laurie.
__________________
DrTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
Zoots, do you sing with an American accent?
lol. Depends on the song. I cover the song exactly as the original singer sang it.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 02:05 PM
^ I agree. I work with some admittedly dumb people who don't know Hugh Laurie IS English

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
When I became a fan of U2 I thought they were American because of Bono's accent.
Doesn't the world know they're Irish?
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,912
Local Time: 09:35 PM
America! Fuck yeah!
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
America! Fuck yeah!
I was hoping that all the non-Americans would have their say in this thread before you bloody Yanks woke up! Oh well.


just kidding, dude.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 01:05 PM
The British at the time of the American Revolution spoke with accents closer to how Americans speak now than how the British speak now, like the words you used as examples, Zoots. But outside of being a superfact, that doesn't really have much to do with anything. Maybe it's just because America is so goddamn rock n' roll and some American accents are really cool.

Not like many American singers never sing in British accents, though.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 02:35 PM
The whole "pahss" "lahst" thing annoys me a little admittedly, because when you say the words in normal conversation (not being American) it's "pa(r)ss"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
I have a bigger problem with UK actors speaking with an American accent. Yes, I'm looking at you, Hugh Laurie.
see i don't have a problem with that. i think that's brilliant, and it is an american show, not a british show.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The whole "pahss" "lahst" thing annoys me a little admittedly, because when you say the words in normal conversation (not being American) it's "pa(r)ss"...
What word are you talking about? I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Maybe it's just because America is so goddamn rock n' roll
Haha that could be!
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
What word are you talking about? I don't understand.



Haha that could be!
well for example in stuck. "it's just a moment, this time will pass" is sung with the american accent.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
well for example in stuck. "it's just a moment, this time will pass" is sung with the american accent.
Oh yeah. My point exactly. Why doesn't he sing "pass" like an Irishman would say it? Maybe cos Bono loves America so damn much!
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
see i don't have a problem with that. i think that's brilliant, and it is an american show, not a british show.
as long as they talk with their normal accent outside of the show. i'm looking at you, mel gibson.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 04:35 AM
I'm equally baffled by people who sing in perfectly understandable English, but when they talk it's almost impossible to understand them because of their thick accent. I call this the Sharleen Spiteri syndrom.
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accent, american

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PLEBA girls party-partying it up on Bri's birthday! daygloeyes2 PLEBA Archive 503 09-01-2005 02:00 PM
UK & US chart history (Albums & Singles) Soldatti Peeling off those Dollar Bills 59 07-23-2005 09:03 AM
Sales of Joshua Tree in UK edge3 Peeling off those Dollar Bills 0 05-03-2005 04:13 AM
"I could care less"....??? BrownEyedBoy Free Your Mind Archive 211 05-02-2005 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com