Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
5136EIIwTlL._AA240_.jpg

This album is getting hyped in a major way at another forum I frequent. I finally sat down and had a listen tonight (you can listen to the entirety of Alopecia on their Myspace page), and I have to say that it's quite awesome. Expect to hear more hype in the next month when all the reviews start hitting.

I love the description of them on Myspace:

Inspired as much by MF Doom and Lil’ Wayne as J. Newsom and Big Dylan, his words roll out bent and beautiful, not unlike the musical architecture that sends those words skyward.

This is a very cool and unique mix of indie rock and rap in a way that ends up with far better results than I've heard with the somewhat similar Subtle or 13 & God. I really recommend you check the album out while it's still up for free.

As Harmonium Music's review states: The whole here is more than just the sum of its parts; it’s something new, refreshing and badly needed in the increasingly tired soundscape of hipster rock.

Last edited:
I failed to mention that they are on the generally awesome Anticon label.

So, you're saying I should go see them in April when they're at First Avenue? For $8, I think I can manage. :wink:

I was just thinking something similar as they're coming through here also.

I'm going to mock all of you for not listening to me now when you all start jumping on board after seeing all the hype in a month.

You know what's pissing me off?

I jumped on the train early like you suggested and those fuckers never sent me an "I jumped on the Why? train early" button to boost my indie cred.

I bet the would have if they were on a major label.

I could really do without the lyrics, on this record. I'm awfully sick of all the embarrassing lyrical self-indulgence which has inexplicably come into fashion, in "indie" spheres. I don't know who started this (maybe Oberst, maybe Skinner, maybe Barnes), but he's/she's fuckin' it up for tasteful poeticism all the land over...!

I quite enjoy the new video they did for 'A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under', it's got some humorous moments (whether they were intentional or not, I don't know...).

Why?: A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under | Pitchfork.tv

I only played chess once in my life and I lost

Saw them live here a few months ago, it was amazing to see how they actually played the songs. Tons of switching between xylophone, drums, piano, guitar, bass, etc. by all of the band members. This is still probably my favorite album of the year, I'm surprised more people here weren't all over it as I still see it mentioned and loved on music forums elsewhere. :shrug: We're one but we're not the same, doodz.

Tis an excellent album, slowly moving up the list of my albums of the year, but there are one or two that are ahead of it for me (they being Get Well Soon- Rest Now, Weary Heads, Hercules and Love Affair).

It's hard gettin people to check out new stuff here at times, makes me sad:sad:

Listened to 'Song Of The Sad Assassin' and 'Sky For Shoeing Horses Under'. Pretty cool. I'm definitely impressed enough to check them out more and maybe, on down the line, buy an album of theirs.

Thanks for the head's up mofo. :D

:hi5:

The songs (from Alopecia) I'd recommend are:

These Few Presidents
Fatalist Palmistry
The Vowels, Pt. 2
Good Friday
The Fall of Mr. Fifths
Simeon's Dilemma
By Torpedo or Crohns

The Hollows was the lead single, so that may be a good one for some people as well.

:up:

I just bought Alopecia! Its got a pretty cool vibe and interesting lyrics.

Me likey so far

You know I think they may have entered my second top spot for the year, The Fall of Mr Fifths is such a cool tune and is fast becoming my favourite.

You know I think they may have entered my second top spot for the year, The Fall of Mr Fifths is such a cool tune and is fast becoming my favourite.

Agreed...I think this is my favorite along with A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under

Cool stuff:up:

Gave it one listen, and I'd give it just a hair under an 8/10. Surprisingly, I liked the hip-hop tracks far more than the indietastic rockers. Good Friday and By Torpedo Or Crohn's are the best here IMO. This is an exciting album, and deserves a fair shot. It won't make my top 10, but it will likely grow on me. I enjoyed it a bunch.

Like all good albums with a new sound, it'll grow on you in a major way LeMeL. I r srius.

It grows quite quickly as well...

'i'm unavoidable like death this christmas
is this twisted why be upset
i never said i didn't have syphillis miss listless
hard like the bricks i pound my fists with'

There are just so many cool lyrics in it.

There are just so many cool lyrics in it.

AGREED!

Soooo many fantastic quotes and 1 liners. Maybe I'll have to make a song by song selection of favorite quotes and lines for this like I did with Stage Names last year... :hmm:

So, after seeing the song title, "By Torpedo or Crohn's," I finally got interested enough to listen to this album in its entirety. :reject:

I loved it on first listen though. :up:

I nearly jumped onto my desk and thrust my fist into the air in happiness when I was looking at Pitchfork's new guide to upcoming releases and saw Why? was on there for September 22nd (hopefully that ends up holding true). Apparently I missed this interview on Pitchfork earlier this year:

Pitchfork: WHY?'s Yoni Wolf Reveals New Album: Eskimo Snow

I was even more excited when I read the interview and found out the new album, Eskimo Snow, was written and almost entirely recorded at the same time as Alopecia. Apparently the two albums are connected, and this is supposed to be "part 2" to some extent. As Alopecia was my favorite album of last year and I'm still listening to it quite often, this is stellar news.

banana.gif

Back
Top Bottom